Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Question of the DayTripodTripod Height

Question of the Day: What height do you set your Matterport Camera?7325

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

What height do you set your Matterport Camera - and why?

Dan

P.S. This Question of the Day was inspired by ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rzphotoman
Good scan for a small space in tight quarters. I personally like to keep the camera a little lower. I keep my center lens height at 50-52"

... in this WGAN Forum discussion:

Hi folks, first scan and looking for some tips and advice. Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
I think it’s important to keep your viewer level in showcase to avoid vertical perspective convergence, so whatever height is approprtite for each space, in the 4’ range typically. Maybe higher for more grandiose environments.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Sarnia, Canada
June private msg quote post Address this user
I also go less than 5’ because agents prefer more floor than ceiling showing.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
I also keep my camera low - as a real estate photographer first and foremost the greatest rule was more floor less ceiling so I practice the same with my MP camera - it makes capturing still images from the scans much easier with mush better quality images. Also personally I'm short and find it very odd when navigating a scan with a much higher tripod having to constantly look down to see where you navigate next and being so high you are equal height to top of picture frames, fridges etc.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@HarlanHambright
@June
@Property3dNZ

Thank you for sharing.

4-5 feet seems to be the consensus.

I hope to hear from some more WGAN Forum Members on this topic.

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Here are some related WGAN Forum discussions:

Effect of Camera Height

Matterport Height Recommendations

Lowering tripod and its effects?

Multi-Scan Heights

MP Scanning at 5 feet or Door Knob Level?

WGAN Forum posts tagged: tripod

Best,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@HarlanHambright

Can you post an example of one of your Matterport 3D Tours of a house shot at about 4 feet?

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
OK. Here's a typ scan for me, with BLK to boot! you have to navigate to the front door to see MP at 4'. I was amazed how easily the dock aligned. (It's behind you through the gate.) This gizmo loves 3D data. Driveways don't align so well.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
@HarlanHambright
Hi Harlan

I'm really interested in you experience with the BLK. Looking at the imagery out by the pool the sky quality is quite pixelated and spotty looking. What settings did you have the camera on and how long did it take per scan?

Thanks

Marcia
Post 9 IP   flag post
Hdr3, medium res. 5 minutes with walking and leveling.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Standard
walkintour private msg quote post Address this user
We usually set ours to about half the height between the ceiling and floor, so about 4.5 to 5 feet. Even with vaulted ceilings, we keep it about that same range. However, with that said, one of our technicians remembered doing one where it felt like you were shrinking from point to point. The client had a yacht and they wanted to feature the engine room, which was a crawl space. They wanted us to go further, but the camera was set at the lowest setting on the tripod already.

Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

From this WGAN Forum discussion:

Question of the Day: Do you prefer Matterport Slide Show or Walkthrough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Queen_City_3D
@June We recently started lowering it for that exact purpose - to get straighter lines in snapshots. Ever since Matterport came out with the auto-created snapshots I've been comparing the ones that AI has provided vs the ones that I've taken. I noticed that I liked a lot of their shots except for the bottom half of the room being cut off. We've since started lowering camera to get more of the room in a straighter shot. Right now, I'd say the top of camera is no higher than 4'6... probably even a few inches lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @June
Question of the Day: Do you prefer Matterport Slide Show or Walkthrough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rzphotoman
I've been shooting at a lower height as well since looking at my 1st scan. Getting much better stills. I know some will say you should shoot at eye level for the 3D tour and then lower the camera and re-do the scans you want still shots from. Others will say only HDR stills are acceptable. All true statements depending on your market.

For me, I offer stills both ways. 90% of the time the Matterport stills are used rather than the additional expense of taking additional HDR images. Know your market. Lots of options available.

Best,

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

This question seems to come up a lot.

I agree with ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @HarlanHambright
I think it’s important to keep your viewer level in showcase to avoid vertical perspective convergence, so whatever height is appropriate for each space, in the 4’ range typically. Maybe higher for more grandiose environments.

Wondering if @Property3NZ sets it any lower than 4 feet (1.22 meters).

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Property3dNZ
I also keep my camera low - as a real estate photographer first and foremost the greatest rule was more floor less ceiling so I practice the same with my MP camera - it makes capturing still images from the scans much easier with mush better quality images. Also personally I'm short and find it very odd when navigating a scan with a much higher tripod having to constantly look down to see where you navigate next and being so high you are equal height to top of picture frames, fridges etc.

The following is also great advice by @walkintour

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkintour
We usually set ours to about half the height between the ceiling and floor, so about 4.5 to 5 feet. Even with vaulted ceilings, we keep it about that same range. However, with that said, one of our technicians remembered doing one where it felt like you were shrinking from point to point. The client had a yacht and they wanted to feature the engine room, which was a crawl space. They wanted us to go further, but the camera was set at the lowest setting on the tripod already.

Other thoughts on the topic of Matterport Pro2 3D Camera height?

Enjoy your weekend,

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
101636 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?