Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseAdviceCapture AppNewbiesTripod Height

Matterport Height Recommendations588

Wonderdawg private msg quote post Address this user
I did a test scan while on a traditional real estate shoot using a Matterport today. I'm a newbie as this is my third demo shoot. I'm thrilled that I could cover this 700 sq foot unit under an hour with 36 scans.

With this ceiling height, the Matterport is 60 inches high at the center of the unit. If I oriented the vertical lines straight up and down, the view looks too high.
Any recommendations for lowering the unit dependent on ceiling height? Commercial vs Residential?
When I shoot panos for Google, using a Sigma 8mm fisheye the standard height is 60 inches at the center of the lens and they look perfect.
Also any CC?
Did I overshoot the scans especially in the corners?
Thanks very much!
Kerry
Post 1 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Kerry

I also set my MP at 60" and I've not noticed any issues. I use to shoot for Google as well and again it was eye level at 60". Looking at your SC it looks fine by me.

I regards to height, it's really a judgment call as there is no hard set rule for the camera height just what you feel will be the best height for the location your shooting.
Post 2 IP   flag post
ccctucker private msg quote post Address this user
One thought is that your shooting from the height that the client will be seeing it at. My camera with the middle lense about 65-70 inches (165-177 cm for those outside the US).
Post 3 IP   flag post
ScanDimensions private msg quote post Address this user
If you or any of your clients are using or plan to use the VR headsets with your Matterports, a center-camera height of no higher than 60' is recommended. Other than that, it's really personal or artistic preference.

I mention the VR technology because when I use the headset to view Matterports made by the programming and engineering team, it's unsettling. I feel like I'm flying, and not in a good way.

I'm 5'5" which is average height for a woman. The engineering and programming team is comprised of a bunch of guys who are all well over 6' tall. They all got a good laugh out of me nearly falling out of my chair until I mentioned that women make almost all residential real estate buying decisions.
Post 4 IP   flag post
al9901 private msg quote post Address this user
@ScanDimensions 5ft 5 is a good balance. Especially when you consider that newer properties tend to have lower ceilings, this height makes the property look slightly larger and less claustraphobic.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks all for the advice and feedback! I'm gonna try the door knob level when I document my own house mainly for insurance purposes (not public).
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Wonderdawg

For small spaces - hotel rooms – we shoot at door knob height (and eye-level for VR: eventual conversion).

Advantages of door knob height:

1. makes a small space look bigger
2. adds drama to the experience
3. few or no bad scans
4. avoid mirrors as you enter bathrooms

Once done with door knob height, we do a few scans at eye-level height for eventual VR conversion of the models.

Below is a comparison of both in a small space ...

Plus, there's a discussion of heigh in this thread too:

Tip: How to Get an Upgrade on Your Hotel Room

Door Knob Height

Eye-Level Height

All,

When when have you shot other than eye-level and can you post examples in this thread? (How to Embed a 3D Showcase in Forum Threads)

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks for the examples Dan!
Post 8 IP   flag post
101630 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?