Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Matterport Capture Services ProgramMatterport Service ProvidersMSPsPoachingVideo

Video: Matterport Capture Services....The End of Matterport?14931

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Matterport Capture Services....The End of Matterport? | Video courtesy of Momentum 360 YouTube Channel | 19 May 2021

Hi All,

Matterport Service Provider Momentum 360 Owner Sean Boyle with Momentum 360 is not happy!

Your thoughts?

Dan

Related WGAN Forum Discussions

Video: Matterport Launches Capture Services for Individuals in Some Markets
Matterport Launches Global Capture Services for the Enterprise
Matterport Capture Service Program Creates Opportunity for MSPs
Charts: How much Matterport Capture Services Program Pays Photographers
WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Matterport Capture Services Program

Transcript (video above)

- Yo what's going on guys? Sean Boyle here. In this video, I'm going to be talking about the new Matterport Capture Services plan. And if you guys like rant videos, this is going to be kind of a rant video. So, stay tuned. I'm going to talk all about it. What's going on guys? If you haven't yet,

- stop, go to our YouTube channel, click subscribe, and click that little bell too so you get notifications whenever we post a new video. You will be the first person to know. Thank you so much for the support. And now the video you've been wanting to watch.

- All right, guys, so let's get right into it. This morning when I woke up, normally I get up at around 5:30 AM, and I just checked this ugly icon right here.

So for those who are MSPs and who are in the dark, who don't know what Matterport Capture Services is, essentially Matterport is now taking their own professional photographers, bidding against us, the users, and kind of undercutting and sweeping the rug underneath our feet, okay?

So this is something where if you're completely in the dark, I really just wanted to make this video.

So you can then pivot your business and say, oh, we want to go a little bit away from Matterport. We don't want to use Matterport at all, and just give you options, okay? Now you guys have followed my channel before, I love Matterport. I really think it's something that starting off ... is a pretty good software to use. Now, my view is pretty much shifted to the CloudPano's of the world, the 3DVista's...

And I don't know, I'm not really happy. I mean, I'm pretty pissed off.

The fact that Matterport, the fact that they have such low revenue right now would then say, "oh, hmm, we're going to use our own professional photographers" to say, "hey you know, let's just go in and undercut all these people, all these loyal, hardworking people that have spent thousands of dollars with us for hosting" ... which is egregious in its own right. And we're just going to, you know, "sweep the rug from out under their feet." It doesn't make any sense. It's something that's greed 101.

I was talking to my one awesome mentors, Andy Romano, about it. And it's just, it's a shame. It really is a shame, but I don't want to make it all about you know, hating Matterport. I mean, there's some opportunities here, and let's just dive right into it. So as you can see, you can now order [Matterport] Capture Services straight here.

So let's just say, for instance, I wanted to shoot my own office space, we're in Pennsylvania. Okay. And here's the kicker, all right? Let's say for a 10,000 square foot place at square feet, say it's a commercial space.

Let's see how much this is going to be. Four and a half hours to shoot, which is horrible. And if you're, again, for 10,000 square feet, it's going to take four and a half hours. That's that's horrible in its own right. Let's say we're going to shoot Wednesday. Next. It's me. My phone number. Lockbox 1234.

It doesn't really matter. So what's the total? What's the damage on this? So you're charging $760 to get this done. Okay. $760. First of all, you have to think, if you're charging 10 cents a square foot, that's a thousand dollars just for the scan, and if you're charging a little bit less than that, let's say you're taking, you know, eight, nine cents, maybe even seven. You're not making any money off of this.

Okay? You're not literally making any money. You're just taking all this money and putting it in Matterport's pocket, which time and time again, they've done a pretty good job of doing, whether it's the hosting fees, the camera, everything. The lack of leads. It just been egregious. As you guys can understand, this is what they're doing now. This is how they feel about our loyalness.

They just don't give a [Redacted] about it. And this is something where I stood up for them. I respected Matterport for, you know, their IPO, and pivoting with Gores Holdings and saying, "hey, you know we're going to make this whole big thing" ... but it really hasn't been that. It really hasn't been something where I can hold my hat on and say, "oh yeah, I'd love to invest in this company.

I just love their customer service," because frankly, and my main Matterport account manager, he knows about this. I'm not going to use his name to shout him out, but he knows this, that I'm not thrilled with them right now. And a lot of MSPs aren't.

If you guys go in the Matterport users group chat on Facebook, you're going to see that people are pissed off. They're not happy. Why?

Because they're competing directly with the competition, with us. Why would Matterport simply say, "oh, we're going to use our own photographers against their own." It's because their revenue's shot.

They need a lot more revenue. And again, it's something where, if you're only using Matterport, you spent thousands of dollars on a Pro2, and now you're like, "hey, how do I get leads?" It's going to be something where your profit margin is even less, right? I try to hit a 50% profit margin on every single project.

And for these little Mickey Mouse ones that are like 170 bucks, $175, $200, for all these certain clients that are more volume based, and we can't really normally charge, you know, $300, $400, like we normally do for, you know, residential properties, small residential house, three bath or a three bed, two bath.

It's a shame because we can't do that. And again, if you're thinking you're going to make 50%, you're lying to yourself.

That's wishful thinking. You're going to be making 10%, 15%, and that's not even incorporating other expenses into your business. So you're really looking at less than a 10% profit margin just for this.

And you think you're going to go home and make all this money. You're being an MSP only. It's complete [Redacted] and again, I'm not here to, you know, just say and belittle Matterport, but I'm just really trying to stick up for the solid MSPs out there that I've had the pleasure of working with throughout the years, and saying to you guys, which already know, but the people that don't know, this is a huge deal.

This is something where people should take extremely seriously, and if you do not get under the carpet before it's swept out, if you need to pivot, and if you can pivot before this happens, then you'll be in pretty good shape.

But I warn you guys. This is something that really needs to be looked at as something that needs to be done. I imagine Ben Claremont's of the world are going to be making videos of this as we speak and completely trashing this program. They're probably already making videos about this as we can speak, as we speak.

So it's something guys where you need to take a good, fine look at what Matterport is doing. Again, I made a video a long time ago about the hosting fees, how I was upset with that, how there were a lack of leads coming in through the MSP program. How there's just a couple of big whales are just, they're just wallowing it all up. And now this? Three strikes, you're out. And again, I'm not going to stop using Matterport.

I don't think I ever will, but as an MSP who literally ranks online for how much do Matterport's tours costs, you know, all these wonderful keywords, to get slapped in the face like that and say, "oh yeah, like, we're just going to go ahead and you know, undercut you guys, 'cause we need more revenue for our IPO and we need to look good to our investors."

That's what's going on. That is exactly what's going on, and I wouldn't be surprised if this YouTube gets flagged or taken down because [redacted], whoever the [redacted] CEO is this point, who knows behind the scenes, is going to say something about that, okay? I have no doubts in my mind that that probably is what's going to happen. All right. So end of the day, what does this mean for you?

What this means is you need to take a good look at the business, of your business model. How do you guys make money? How are you going to pivot, okay?

Now I'm creating a course, Q2, our quarter we're in right now, or Q3 where I'm giving free releases of really how to go about pivoting and stuff like that.

And I don't want to plug my course right now, 'cause that's not what is important, but I'm just trying to say to you guys, you need to be conscious of how can I go about making something that is going to solve a solution or solve a problem?

How can I make a solution that's going to solve a problem? Whether that's an aerial drone view, whether that's 3D rendering, whatever you guys do, you need to be conscious of the market.

You need to be conscious of where it's going. And especially with Matterport, we don't know where it's going right now. All I can say is the business? It's going to go down south. It's going to go down south real quick.

Sure, you're going to have people that are going to be contacting you for services, but listen, if Matterport can contact and get someone who's going to pay so much more, and then you're not even going to get paid that much yourself, what is the value in that truly? What is the value in that? There is no value for the user.

It's only for Matterport. So guys, with that being said, I just wanted to make a quick video on this. I know I'm kinda heated, and I'm normally not like this, but I just wanted to put this out there for the people who again, truly love virtual tours. And who have invested years of their life in this technology.

A lot of my different mentors that I've had the pleasure of working with over the time of me doing this full-time know how I feel about Matterport and they share those similar views. And I want to help you guys out because it's time to make a change. It's time to change it. You need to pivot.

Again, I'm not saying you need to go completely away from Matterport. It's not what I'm saying, but yeah. It's one of these things where you need to be conscious of where the market's going. That's all I'll say, all right. So with that being said guys, stay safe out there. Leave a comment below.

I really want to hear your guys' thoughts. I'll be posting in the Facebook group chat. And I just want to hear what you guys have to say.

So thank you so much. If you're really, you know, about building fundamental virtual technology and just elevating this for the future, this is something that you need to be pretty conscious of. So thank you guys so much. We'll talk soon, and have a good start the week.
Post 1 IP   flag post
MarcelloM private msg quote post Address this user
I can't believe Matterport launched this crazy service
Post 2 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
Can any one send me the service level agreement from Matterport for the MSP's please , want too review it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting point, Gerhard! Are they (Matterport) going to try to prohibit MSPs from working with end-use clients they have scanned for in this program? Personally I didnt have a problem with that when they were talking about going after national and regional type corporate accounts. But if they are going after Realtors and homeowners? Nope.

Which makes me wonder if they are going to use MSPs at all? Maybe they want to transition to only using individuals in an Uber type scenario.

Hard to say! They are so dumb and at the same time, so devious that anything is possible.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Expertise

WGAN Forum related discussion:

Question of the Day: Will Matterport Kill MSP Program; send leads to MCSP?

Yes! Inspired by your post ...

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Axis360Media private msg quote post Address this user
This is why I filed a lawsuit against Matterport! If you are in the US please contact the Zimmerman Law Firm!
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expertise
Interesting point, Gerhard! Are they (Matterport) going to try to prohibit MSPs from working with end-use clients they have scanned for in this program? Personally I didn't have a problem with that when they were talking about going after national and regional type corporate accounts. But if they are going after Realtors and homeowners? Nope.

That is where the problem is. They lied presenting it last year as an access to scanning at better rates for corporates with a huge stock. Most of MSPs cannot do it due to being a local business and sometimes run by one person only. Now it has come to every client.

My partner who has their own Matterport account and provides fantastic spaces for me to scan is still booking me but I do not think it is going to last. They see Matterport advertising in their account their own capture services so sooner or later they may start getting quotes from Matterport directly. It is even more possible since they have expanded to another state of Australia. Normally they would find a MSP there, interview them and hire for every job. I am afraid they are not going to do it now in this new territory.

But even that way an idea to put it in their cloud accounts is some kind of unreasonable hope they can get many jobs that way. They are just pissing us off doing it in front of us but the worst could come if they'd decide starting paid advertisement for this online.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Osaka, Japan
Meidansha private msg quote post Address this user
@Gerhard this is not in the MSP terms and conditions but I wonder just what counts as "the business purpose" that Matterport is allowed to process our personal information such as customer names (collaborators etc).

"2.5. Matterport will process Personal Data only (a) for the Business Purpose, (b) as otherwise initiated or instructed by Subscriber or its Data Subjects (e.g., via email, support tickets or instructions for configuration of tools or features made available by Matterport in connection with the Services) (“Instructions“), or (b) as required by Data Protection Laws. The parties agree that the Agreement and DPA are deemed to be Instructions. Any additional or alternate instructions must be agreed separately agreed upon by Subscriber and Matterport. Matterport will promptly notify Subscriber if, in Matterport’s opinion, Subscriber’s Instructions would not comply with Data Protection Laws."
Post 8 IP   flag post
101646 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?