Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BLK360CADLeica BLK360Matterport MatterPakWarehouse

matterport & BLK export to CAD14105

Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Folks

I have been asked if I can scan a 55000 sq ft warehouse for a client and prodice CAD drawing from that.

I know I would be best using the BVLK for this size of space and accuracy

The client would also like a 3D Tour of the space. My question is should I scan the whole space using BLK and matterport capture app to create the 3D and matterpak for the data to convert into CAD

Thanks in advance

Mark
Post 1 IP   flag post
DougMagners private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Mark, that is a great question. One question I would ask is: do you have access to both?

The reason is this - in general, you are correct: having a BLK360 with actual LiDAR with good range will be more accurate than a Matterport camera. Having said that, there are some factors to take into account. First of all, what kind of space is it? If it is a large open warehouse, then you will want the BLK360. However, if it is 55k of densely built-out office space (i.e. a lot of good features for the Matterport algorithm to use to create an accurate point cloud), then you may be fine just using the Matterport Pro2 camera (unless you need to do the exterior as well - hence me asking if you can have access to both).

If you ask a laser scanning professional about the accuracy of a Matterport camera, most will say it's not good enough. But in reality, as long as you take a lot of good scans and the space is conducive to it, it's probably going to be good enough for most clients. Especially when you consider that the BLK360 is order of magnitude slower, per scan, than the Matterport camera. And in reality, the accuracy improvement from Matterport to BLK360 just is not worth the MANY extra hours it will take to capture with the BLK360. Really, the only reason I would recommend the BLK360 over the Matterport is if the space was big and open, like atriums, corridors, auditoriums, gyms, warehouse or an exterior. If it is a mixed bag with some dense office and some wide open space, my recommendation would be use the Matterport where you can and use BLK360 only where necessary.

Just make sure it's the right application: I would not trust either for super small tolerances, like construction or fabrication. But you can definitely use the Matterport for architectural plans, again, under the right conditions. And this from a laser scanning professional.

Just a tale from my own experience, I had to do a house one time and I supplemented with the BLK360 for the exterior. It took me long over an hour just to make a loop around the house with the BLK360. When you are used to the Matterport speed, it will drive you mad waiting for the BLK360 to take its good old time. *Note, this was my experience a year ago. It is possible there have been software updates to improve this problem, but I am not aware of it.

Let me know if you have more questions! Best of luck!

-Doug
Post 2 IP   flag post
DougMagners private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry Mark, I just re-read your post and saw "warehouse." I will let my original post stand though because "warehouse" can mean 4 walls and nothing but a few columns throughout and that's it, or "warehouse" can mean an active storage facility with rows and rows of materials. Unfortunately, even if it's rows of shelves, you still may beed the BLK360 for range, it's just going to take you a lot more time than you may be expecting.

Good luck Mark!
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
Berlin, Germany
3dblickwinkel private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Mark,

use MP capture app and use both, BLK and Pro 2. Start with BLK to produce the (whole)point cloud needed for CAD. Than use Pro 2 to make it nicer. Download the original files directly from BLK to use them in e.g. RecapPro. Produce the MP tour and hide the BLK scans if you want.
As a result, you have your cad data and do not use the MP point cloud for these purposes. On the other hand, you have a nice MP tour with a nice dollyhouse which included the BLK data.

https://support.matterport.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000650628
After every successful scan, point cloud data is automatically transferred from the Leica BLK360 to Matterport Capture so it can be aligned with previous scans.

The same scan data is also kept on the Leica BLK360. You can export this scan data (the point cloud) and use it in a third-party program like Recap or Revit. Learn more.

If you wish to export a scan into Recap Pro, set to HDR Off or HDR 3. HDR 2, 4, and 5 cannot export into Recap Pro.
Post 4 IP   flag post
dave3d private msg quote post Address this user
I have way too many things to say to comment .

Ask them if Matterport accuracy is ok if a closed space.

If it’s open use the BLK.

Mixing cameras offers its own issues.....changes in image quality, camera height, etc.

Wide open space? BLK is wonderful. Closed, halls, furniture, doorways and such? BLK is a fail. Use the Matterport.

If Matterport? Take many AprilTags. Download the free ones and laminate them.

If someone says Z1? Shoot them.....
Post 5 IP   flag post
dave3d private msg quote post Address this user
Ps ....I use a BLK often. If you haven’t been load a stopwatch app on your smartphone. Set it for 3.5 min. That’s your Matterport scan time for BLK. If a large space draw your scan path and calculate time each way (BLK and pro2). Decide which you want. Don’t ever do a large scan without a scan plan. Consider time of day, sun height, etc. before you start.

I’m not good at alignment in large spaces with Pro2. Not positive why....scan path choices I guess.

(Open repetitive 25k to 100k) BLK is a piece of cake.
Post 6 IP   flag post
101436 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?