Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV Live at 5 (5 pm ET)
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 732 Unique Visitors
9,055 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,766 Page Views | 19,092 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CamerasLightingRicoh Theta V

Ricoh Theta V - Low light shooting12921

stevienet private msg quote post Address this user
Hi there, hoping for a bit of insider knowledge for shooting images in low light areas. I Recently picked up a Ricoh Theta V and still getting to grips with it.

I've got a shoot in a fairly large room (basement) with no windows and the artificial lighting is fairly low. Strong enough to read a book but could be described as "mood lighting"!

Just looking for any advice / tips for shooting from experts with the camera.

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
bryanhscott private msg quote post Address this user
@stevienet

First, DANG! A basement with no windows?! I'd hate to get stuck down there in the event of a fire, right?

Anyhow, if there is overhead lighting, one option might be to replace bulbs with up to 100W each to boost lumination. If there are lamps; floor or table type, you could do same to increase bulb wattage. If not, perhaps bring lamps temporarily from upstairs to downstairs.

Beyond the above, you can add lighting above or below the camera lenses. This could be in the form of photographic LED lights typically used for video (see YouTube Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWrn_8qlZnk), but will require a special mount (shown in the video) for your tripod in order to mount these LED lights directly above the Theta V.

I have seen battery op fluorescent tube lights used that are normally used as under cabinet lights (found at this link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074QL8GGJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). These have a magnet mount and small, metal discs that you can temporarily attach to the boom of your tripod, or monopod. You could even use wrap-ties to secure them at 120 degree angles to your tri or monopod.

I have seen/heard of typical work lights just placed on the floor near the tripod base. These are the type of lights used by painters and carpenters when there is either no or very low lighting conditions where they have to work. Here is a sample you might find at Home Depot, or a similar home improvement store: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1000-Lumen-Portable-LED-Work-Light-K40106/307397524.

You could also use something like this, https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Portable-Photography-Lighting-Adjustable/dp/B07YFY7H7J/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=photographic+led+light&qid=1598482516&sr=8-4, and just place them at opposing angles directly under the camera. If the profile of these type of lights is small enough, you might be able to just place your Nadir logo under the camera to cover them up and avoid having to photoshop the lighting out of each pano.

I am sure there are many other solutions this group has thought of and used. These are the ones I have seen used myself. Personally, I like the first option above
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@bryanhscott I agree with the hundred watt LED light bulbs. it's a timely post because last weekend I entered a basement with those twisty CFL type bulbs they sucked. I switched to the LED and it made a huge difference.

I have run into however several issues where a LED light bulb would not make a difference because there is no lighting, so I think I'm going to get me some type of portable LED light that is at a normal lamp height.

I think somebody here had LED lights mounted onto the top of the matterport camera facing forward so that when it was scanning the appropriate area would have light.
Post 3 IP   flag post
LeeCollins private msg quote post Address this user
@stevienet

The Theta V is good in low light.

Shoot using HDR and you can adjust the EV value.

This is a useful article:

clickable text
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
@stevienet - What app are you using to shoot with?
Post 5 IP   flag post
@LeeCollins - Thanks for the link!

@VTLV - Not sure I follow. Will be using the Theta app

Thanks everyone for the pointers!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe do a test in a bedroom at home? While the idea of adding 100 watt bulbs to brighten up a dark room sounds like a solution, it may cause more problems then it solves. Cameras can adapt to low light. They struggle with highly UNEVEN light.
Post 7 IP   flag post
JPPeron private msg quote post Address this user
I have this issue before with the Theta V and found that bumping the EV to .7 or 1.0 would do the trick.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thanks guys. Had a few test runs in my lounge which has a dimmer switch. Setting to a low light and using HDR mode and adjusting the EV is the best solution.

Cheers
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @GETMYVR
I think somebody here had LED lights mounted onto the top of the matterport camera facing forward so that when it was scanning the appropriate area would have light.

Is this the WGAN Forum post that you are thinking about?

Videos: How to add lights to Matterport Camera Scans for Fire/Flood Damage

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen Grab: Halo 360 Light from Bushman Panoramic

Video: Preview HALO 360 LIGHT and MAGIC CABLE | Video courtesy of Bushman Panoramic YouTube Channel | 25 June 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by @stevienet
Hi there, hoping for a bit of insider knowledge for shooting images in low light areas. I Recently picked up a Ricoh Theta V and still getting to grips with it.

I've got a shoot in a fairly large room (basement) with no windows and the artificial lighting is fairly low. Strong enough to read a book but could be described as "mood lighting"!

Just looking for any advice / tips for shooting from experts with the camera.

Thanks!

@stevienet

Would this Bushman Panoramic Halo 360 Light- paired with your Ricoh Theta V - solve your lighting challenge?

If you get a Bushman Halo 360 Light, please let us see the results of your shoot.

Best,

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
101749 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?