Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CamerasMatterport Pro2 Lite 3D Camera

Matterport Pro2 Lite 3D Camera Announced6358

grmngrl private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
$1500 difference just for the battery. Thats how I see it. This is aimed at Real Estate agents and this will make it easier for them to swallow the initial outlay to get a camera as agents wont shoot more than 1 property per day.

The new pricing structure for this camera is what prevents us from buying the less expensive version. Agents of course wont mind paying it as it only adds $10 to the cost of filming one of their own listings which is negligible. Yet another stab at us resellers just so they can sell more cameras to agents who are our fundamental clients.....
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
... weird.
Post 3 IP   flag post
grmngrl private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 They didn't let you in on this ?
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
I just bought a Matterport Pro 2 a month ago...the fact that my sales rep at Matterport never mentioned this is disturbing.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
@rzphotoman Sales would have been kept in the dark. Most companies do not tell their sales departments of new product releases. They find out the day that we do mostly.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
@hometakes I'ld like to think your right, but I'm not so sure.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Helen private msg quote post Address this user
You still have to pay monthly plus $29 per model that would add up fast still better off with the pro or pro 2.

If you figure Pro2 light lowest hosting and 3 scans a month $49 plus 3 times $29 = $136

Pro 2 at lowest hosting $49 thats a big difference!
I would rather pay more upfront.

If you were doing 10-20 a month that would be very expensive with the pro2 light!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
@rzphotoman if you are on doubt about that, ask Metroplex360
Post 9 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
So here's a "what if"...

Let's say you do a fair number of scans per week and thought it might be handy to have a back-up camera for the days you are super busy and could send someone to another site.

Assuming you upload to an email associated with your subscription cloud plan, I would imagine THOSE scans taken with a Pro2 Lite would still count toward your subscription rate of $19/upload, right? If so, it might be a good option for a secondary camera?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Los Angeles
JosephJ private msg quote post Address this user
"So here's a "what if"...

Let's say you do a fair number of scans per week and thought it might be handy to have a back-up camera for the days you are super busy and could send someone to another site.

Assuming you upload to an email associated with your subscription cloud plan, I would imagine THOSE scans taken with a Pro2 Lite would still count toward your subscription rate of $19/upload, right? If so, it might be a good option for a secondary camera?"

The Pro2 Lite does not count towards your subscription rate of $19/upload. The rate for the Pro2 Lite is $29/upload. The current price difference between the Pro2 and the Pro2 Lite is $1,400. At a $10 difference between the Pro2 and Pro2 Lite upload costs, it would take 140 scans to make the Pro2 a better buy than the Pro2 Lite. At that point, the amount of projects you believe your back-up camera will have determines which camera holds the most value. Other factors that could influence your decision are taxes, rebates, and life-span of cameras.

Matterport also says that "Each cloud plan includes free processing credits every month (3 credits for Basic, 7 for Professional, 11 for Business). These credits cannot be used on models scanned with the Pro2 Lite."

That being said, If someone was in need of a back-up camera, depending on the circumstances, I believe that the Pro2 Lite could work out good for them.
Post 11 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
The point I am try to make is the new price for the Lite, I would rather have bought two cameras for $5000 than one for $4500. Your ROI could potently be greater. For all of you that think the battery life on the Pro 2 is needed that’s great. I would rather go to the job with two cameras and have the reassurance of two cameras than one Pro 2. My capture app does not care if I start with camera 1 and would finish with camera 2. Has anyone had their camera serviced, I have. I was out of commission for 6 weeks, ironically for a bad battery. Two cameras always gives you a backup and potentially more jobs. Also it did not help at the time just starting and then telling agents I could not do the job at the time and loosing one of those agents for future work. I would also like to hear from the pro photographer who only own one camera and don’t have some back up camera.
My second point again is that Matterport does little to let it’s Pro consumer even an idea what they are doing and or some idea that they are listening and support the Pro users.
I have asked for this since my first purchase, why does MP not have a user conference solely for camera owners. Give use a chance for an open honest dialogue. I am frustrated.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
@Queen_City_3D @JosephJ @ron0987 All of you make great points on this issue. I am very new and have only had my Pro2 for a little over a month. I honestly don't know that if this was available when I bought mine if I would have opted for two pro2 lites instead of one pro2. I wasn't thinking about a back-up at the time of purchase but this conversation has me now concerned. I didn't know how long repairs take. My bad for not asking that question before purchase.

I think a solution for the Matterport Service Providers would be for Matterport to offer a loner Pro2 when yours in in for repair. As a professional photographer I was involved in a program like that for a very expensive Sinar 4x5 view camera I had...this was prior to digital and I was shooting sheet film. Yeah I know, I'm old. If you every needed repairs they would ship you a loaner overnight and would have it picked up when your repaired camera was shipped back to you. It was like an insurance policy that you paid for...don't remember the cost, but I do remember it was well worth it. If Matterport offered this service at a fair price, I would gladly pay for that rather than have to buy a back up camera for $2500 or $4000.
Post 13 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
All good points in this thread. It is difficult for me to understand the rationale for this "new" camera.

I would understand a new offer with a full and comprehensive pay as you go model (I mean a higher price for processing and a one time hosting fee for each model rather than the usual $49 or whatever you are paying monthly to Matterport).

Offering to pay less upfront and $29 per model PLUS the monthly $49 is not really smart if they are targeting the ocasional agent who does a model every now and then. In fact, that agent would be discouraged of doing it when he realizes he will have to pay $588 a year just to keep his very few models alive!).

In my opinion, they were looking for a business model targeted to the ocasional photographer but they didn´t realize that their new proposition was not a good one for that particular market.

The ocasional user of this technology, let´s say a very small agent with a very few properties per year, will not purchase a camera. A $ 2,500 upfront investment and a $588 per year commitment just to have the right to create a 3D model is not an attractive value proposition for someone like him. He either will hire a MSP if he really is into Matterport technology and believes that it will help him to sell his properties faster, or will go after another cheaper solution

For the rest of us, perhaps the idea of having a back up camera is interesting, but if this is the case then I am sure that this was not what the geniuses at Matterport had in their little gifted minds when they created this "lite" concept.

Time will tell, but so far I don´t get it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl
@Metroplex360 They didn't let you in on this ?

Nope. Totally surprised by it. Not a big fan.

The upshot:

- This should keep Matterport from applying discounts to the Pro-2.
- The market will determine if this is a popular option and if this program will continue to exist.
- It still costs $2500 and a SaaS plan. The $1500 discount for the gimping is not a SERIOUS price drop for someone who is SERIOUS about using this.

High Level Use Cost Equation

Pro-2 Lite - 20 Models per month = $629 ($49 + 20 * $29)
Pro-2 w/$149 SAAS Plan - 20 Models per month = $365 ($149 + 9 * $19)

Upfront Price Difference: $1500
Monthly Price Difference: $264 more expensive.

Time for Pro-2 Lite to be more expensive: About 6 months

Mid Level Use Cost Equation

Pro-2 Lite - 12 Models per month = $397 ($49 + 12 * $29)
Pro-2 w/$99 SAAS Plan - 12 Models per month = $168 ($149 + 1 * 19)

Monthly Price Difference: $229 more expensive.

Time for Pro-2 Lite to be more expensive: About 7 months (6.5 to be exact)

Time for Pro-2 Lite to be more expensive: About 7 months

Light Use Cost Equation

Pro-2 Lite - 7 Models per month = $252 ($49 + 7 * $29 )
Pro-2 w/$99 SAAS Plan - 7 Models per month = $99 ($99)

Monthly Price Difference: $153 more expensive.

Time for Pro-2 Lite to be more expensive: About 10 months

Hobbiest Use Cost Equation

Pro-2 Lite - 3 Models per month = $136 ($49 + 3 * $29)
Pro-2 w/$99 SAAS Plan - 3 Models per month = $49 ($49)

Monthly Price Difference: $87 more expensive.

Time for Pro-2 Lite to be more expensive: About 17 months

Conclusion

Matterport just released a more expensive Pro-2 with less battery life.

I wish it was red.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
Look at JuMP's suggestion to Matterport 10 months ago:
https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/4313/page/1/geocv-is-real-competitor-masterport/#23

================================
1. Lower the hardware price from USD3600.00 to 120% of the cost of it:
For example: if the materail cost is USD1000.00 then sell at USD1200.00
2. Higher the data process fee from USD19.00 to USD49.00 for the first 100 showcase.
3. After the user shoot 100 showcase that means USD4900.00 total, the data process fee will lower to USD19.00 again.
================================

It seems like Matterport took our 1st and 2nd advice this time, but I strongly suggest Matterport taking the 3rd one as well.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
I agree with the first 100 being at $49. However, if you lower the price to $1200 you will have a huge number of agents go out and buy a camera thereby reducing our business immensely. I’d be in favor of raising the camera price to $9995 in addition to the first 100 Tour’s at $49. This would completely get rid on 99.9 percent of agents and also increase the value of our service. The cameras would only be in the hands of pro’s.
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
@hometakes Sorry, my advice to Matterport didn't stand at MSP's side in short term. It is an advice to Matterport that can make more business of the whole market.
Indeed with the low hardware cost more people will try to buy their own camera. MSP will get more competitors. But if you look at the whole business. Matterport showcase will be more popular and more users will try to find MSP to get their house on showcase list.

Something like customer can buy DSLR but they hire photographer and pay for their good photos also.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Halifax, NS, Canada
pjeffery private msg quote post Address this user
My experience regarding advance disclosure (rather a complete lack thereof) to MSPs from Matterport as concerns this new option: I took delivery of my 1st Pro 2 camera just 3 hours (no kidding) before receiving their news release via email unveiling the Pro 2 Lite.

This was followed almost immediately with an email from a Matterport sales rep asking if I was interested in this new camera rather than the Pro 2 (?!?). Fortunately, I’m not currently feeling any buyer’s remorse.

Last year I purchased the Pro 1 camera just a few weeks before the Pro 2 was announced (and soon after released) along with their trade-in announcement. I was offered a $2400 trade-in credit for my all-but-new $5000 camera.

I found my 2017 experience much more frustrating than the current -and again- very sudden appearance of yet another new camera.

However, had it been a ‘Pro 3’ instead of the Pro 2 Lite being announced ... well, that would take my 2017 frustrations to a whole new level.

Here in Canada, there’s an option for a 10 day return via the reseller. There’s a 7% purchase price return fee, shipping costs plus a mystery “transaction fee” amount. So ... a switch to the new camera would again be unrealistic in my situation.

Perhaps they should offer the camera details before fully releasing if they wish to offer a fair chance for buyer choice. I know even from this thread there are others who recently purchased the Pro 2, having zero opportunity to consider this new option. Again though - no regrets for me.

How long before they have product on the shelves of Best Buy stores across North America? It’s only at that point that I would likely turn away completely.

For now, they will entice Realtors who already have a problem paying for professional MSP offerings. So ... nothing lost. Hopefully the brand strengthens at an even greater pace with increased numbers of camera owners ... making professionals here and elsewhere even more in demand.

I’m not at all threatened by the Pro 2 Lite. On the contrary.
At the onset, it sounds like it will appeal to some Realtors, much in the same way that being FSBO appeals to a minority of residential property sellers. Bring it on.
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

@Metroplex360

Inspired by your analysis ...

We Get Around Matterport Camera, Processing and Hosting Calculator

Dan
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

A Matterport eBlast today (Tuesday, 20 December 2018).

Your thoughts?

Here is the link to: Watch Webinar

Also ...

✓ [ebook] Listing Presentation Mistakes to Avoid
✓ [ebook] 3 Ways Win Listings with Email Marketing
✓ [ebook] The Definite Guide to Getting More Seller Leads from Facebook

Dan

----

Post 21 IP   flag post
101428 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?