Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 592 Unique Visitors
9,059 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,544 Page Views | 18,922 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseMatterport KerfufflepricingScanning

Matterport now pricing their own 3Dscan cost5032

jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
I just replied to this Kelly Hanson:

"You don´t do a pilot test in a public website setting prices that will hurt your clients!

Who is the brain behind this beauty? Please tell him/her to ask his/her college the money back

Besides, what kind of "pilot" are you talking about when there is a form to fill in with a price structure just on the left open to everybody beyond San Francisco area?

Are you aware that there is a thing called "Internet" by which people can read posts and websites all around the world? It is quite useful indeed!

Wake up people. You are going to fall very hard if you don´t fix these and other mistakes you have been making in the last couple of years.

Please, contact an expert in business strategy and redefine in which business you want to be.

I am really pissed off
Post 51 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
@jfantin

Excellent points - their marketing department is totally adrift from reality and strategy. It is millenial marketing at its worst.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Santa Barbara
Lizzg private msg quote post Address this user
Could it be they are planning to contract this work to MSP's at a lower fee because they did the legwork for us?
Post 53 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
@lizzg

Probably! There are a couple of firms out there who are trying to do this on a regional scale; I bet they are all hopping mad right now!
Post 54 IP   flag post
Buffalo, NY
iTours360VR private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mori
The problem is with MP´s speed of development (Angular2 slows down everything) they have lost all their advantages, maybe due to growing too fast (good devs are still rare and 10 people are often 10 times slower than 3 good ones).

So meanwhile all others are faster and better and coming:
https://blog.sketchfab.com/google-tango-brings-mobile-3d-photography-life/

The sketchfab scans are rough - but it is amazing how you can move about the entire space without having to move to nodes (tripod locations) on the floor. You can literally scroll any direction and float across the room, to the ceiling, floor or any vantage point/perspective you want to look from. Tango tech is amazing - but it's like shooting with your iPhone vs a DSLR camera - both can take photos, but the tech and quality is obviously a big difference between them. The Tango / Sketchfab examples shot with smartphones I have seen to date are cool but still very rough around the edges. That all said, this technology is not waiting on anyone to advance and improve and will be one of the ways people scan rooms/spaces in the not so distant future.
Post 55 IP   flag post

TakedaSan private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, I am not a Matterport provider, but a Street View Trusted Agency learning about Matterport market.

Just for me to understand this conversation, what is the average price practiced by the market instead of this Matterport ads?

Up to 3,000 sq ft = $
3,001 to 4,000 sq ft = $
4,001 to 5,000 sq ft = $
Post 56 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Most of us got into working for ourselves in order to get out from under being held down in wages by big wigs. In some cases, we were dodging the young bucks who wore themselves out quickly trying to produce large numbers in hopes for a promotion with little consistency.

I see a parallel here competing with outsource companies and now our camera builder and service provider.

Cheaper/crappier scans being worked on by newbies with little understanding of the cost of doing business nor their own value or quality of service to offer people.

Take care of your clients and prep for an exit plan if these costs don't line up. Please respect your clients needs in case you deal with them again in the future.
Post 57 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistrydoc
Probably! There are a couple of firms out there who are trying to do this on a regional scale; I bet they are all hopping mad right now!
- Good!!!
Post 58 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
Did you know that they are advertising this "pilot" in social media?
This is insane!

Lots of MSP are spending money advertising their service in the same place... I wasn´t aware of that until now ... [Matterport Pros everywhere are] about to explode with anger.
Post 59 IP   flag post
DougTse private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by alx3D
Let's all cancel our new camera orders. Timing is perfect.

Just did, cancelling order of two cameras. Not worth my time anymore on scaling up.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Marcel private msg quote post Address this user
Their camera sales are going to take a dive LOL. The math just doesn't add up for a return on investment for a service partner. You now need to do 20 jobs for $199 just to break even. The high price for a camera was acceptable a few years ago as it was 'early tech' but now it's insane!
Post 61 IP   flag post
Kansas City, KS
Richierichks private msg quote post Address this user

So am I to understand that the MSP doesn't even keep the full (extremely low) price of the scan? I assumed that the processing fee would be charged, but this sounds like the profit is shared which would mean $99.50 each for a 3,000 square foot house?

I won't even leave my house for $99. A 3,000 square foot house is about a 3 hour time commitment when you account for drive time etc. $33 an hour before you consider all of the business expenses required to run an MSP business is like working for minimum wage! Hell, I could be washing lettuce by now, maybe even on fries and half way to management if I had been investing my time at McDowell's instead of trying to start a business!
Post 62 IP   flag post
PeterMcCready private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel
Their camera sales are going to take a dive LOL. The math just doesn't add up for a return on investment for a service partner. You now need to do 20 jobs for $199 just to break even. The high price for a camera was acceptable a few years ago as it was 'early tech' but now it's insane!

For me the really insane part of it is that the basic $199 rate is split with Matterport whilst MSPs are still expected to pay for the camera, the hosting, the additional services, etc., it's a business model destined to implode.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Marcel private msg quote post Address this user
@PeterMcCready true that. I did'nt take that into account. So it might be more like 30-40 jobs to break even.
Post 64 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
I wouldn't call it "breaking even". I'd call slaving away to "getting your money back" for one piece of gear, followed a hope to "recouping some costs" of doing business. Then if you're lucky you'll try to "stay a float".
Post 65 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
If I wanted to be part of a "franchise" I would have bought a "franchise"!

Matterport does know what it is doing. They have advertised our scans as their own multiple times, to big portals and are also using this to leverage street view.

Rember the money is not in the technology or processing BIG MONEY is in the data and by selling the jobs themselves they own the data!

Their terms of service are set up for them to control the data and the data is where the money is!!!!

Post 66 IP   flag post
AerialMG private msg quote post Address this user

Post 67 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
@AerialMG - Thanks. I'd like to believe this clip, but I guess we will have to wait for the link to go dead.

Anyone feel like flooding the contact forms like a flash mob?
Post 68 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

A related discussion from two months ago:

✓ Does Matterport have a conflict of interest?

Dan

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by @DanSmigrod
Hi All,

If you have been reading the discussion in my post earlier today (23 May 2017) ...

I need help with up to 2,000 scans in the US

... you will read that a very large, well-know potential client reached out to me asking:

"Is there a possibility of setting up a partnerships with We Get Around - i.e. flat fee structure for X venues in select US markets? … I'm curious if it would make ... sense to work directly with a photographer network.”

Instead, I have suggested that the client's agency use the We Get Around Network Find a Pro Map because we make it super-easy and super-fast to find Matterport Pros.

While We Get Around could quote a fixed fee for the entire project - and make the spread of what we pay Matterport Pros, that would put We Get Around in the position of trying to get the lowest price which I feel is in conflict to our mission of helpful Pros succeed faster (which includes getting paid the most).

Many Matterport Pros have shared with me privately that Matterport has engaged them directly. To me, this feels like a conflict of interest - even bigger than I see for We Get Around - because Matterport owns the eco-system for processing and hosting.

So, while they promote Matterport Service Providers, they seek to pay them the least amount possible.

So, when agencies might offer one-order - many markets - Matterport is in the position of actually reducing the number of agencies that might want to offer one-order many markets as I proposed in 2014.

@SteveHattan does a great job in this related discussion about the angst I would feel booking Pros. Obviously Matterport does not share this angst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @StevenHattan
Dan...what is your goal with this forum? It would be a disappointment to learn you are promoting the lowest bidder.

Perhaps if the "Agency" can educate the Client on the *value* of "your" Pros, thus eliminating the lowest bidder mindset, it could be a win-win situation.

...or confidentially set something up with Client but keep it between Client and Pro.

As mentioned, it would be disappointing to find out a competitor of mine is shooting Matterport because a guy I pay monthly gave it them.

Since Matterport is booking Pros, do they have a conflict of interest because they likely seek the lowest cost provider while at the same time proclaiming that they are best buds with Matterport Service Providers?

Based on everything that I have been thinking - and comments like @StevenHattan - I would be super-reluctant to book Pros (presumably at the lowest price I could - while at the same time, suggesting to join the We Get Around Network as a Basic, Standard or Premium Member to succeed faster.

Your thoughts?

Best,

Dan
Post 69 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@VTLV

I love this idea of having a flash sign up mob. It really wouldn't hurt Matterport because I am sure it is automated but those two MSP's email would be full!

@DanSmigrod

Of course the Matterport person never responded to my email. I do have a cell phone number that maybe I should try?

If they are "paying all associated cost" you would think they would also supply the camera. I wonder if they are doing this and having some of their employees do the scanning and saying two MSP's in the area are doing it?
Post 70 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
By this official test from Matterport we all know about what can Matterport do if they lose their heart some day.
All MSP must think about how to survive if that really happened, and what we can do now to prepare for that disaster.

1. Backup all of our showcase was the best way to make us survive.
2. 3rd party solution for self-hosting must be developed.
3. 3rd party raw data processing must be developed.

With all above, our business can go on and our camera can still work after that.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
clickable text

The New SS Titanic with Mattreport dining in the dining hall drinking champagne, and forgetting that we the MSP's is the ice berg. But let stay calm, woman, and children off first.

I can't wait to receive their email explaining all of this. They must spend less time on PR companies and more on marketing this product to the consumer aka the viewer. I don't know how their minds work. Can't we in this forum Buy Matterport and we can turn the company around with all the bright intelligent minds on this forum?
Post 72 IP   flag post
I think this is very alarming and we must not take this up very lightly. One I love Matterport don't get me wrong. I made a business from it.

But they need to relook their policies of them owning our content and the hosting. We don't expect them to tell us what their plans are with the company or the directions they are taking, we understand it's a business and you have to stay ahead of the competition. They have stakeholders to answer to and some of us have bank managers to answer to. So we are in the same boat, but I think we are not paddling in the same direction.

Would be nice if the CEO can send us an open letter assuring us that they have big things on the horizon for us. And we who helped them build their business the loyal MSP's don't have to worry. We have some bright minds on this forum that has helped shape this business model.Guys whom could have kept their "trade secrets" to themselves but offered to share it with our community and help others also to succeed.

I am not falling anymore for this little realease of new functions in matterport that comes through like drip emails. Its like they are trying to keep us distracted. I believe they have our list of what we need and I am sure that a lot of the functions have been developed. Becuase how can third parties do a proof of concept but they can't?
If they can give us more functionality and what we want then I can consider their model that they are running on, I don't agree with it.Thye have the best product on the market so keep it that way. Matterport help us to help you.

Yes I want the new 4K Pro 2 limited edition.

But then give us the security that it will be a wise investment. Send out your surveys and talk to us. We are here to help build and not to breakdown. But we are humans and get emotional, and especially when you start hurting someone's pocket trying to make an honest living.

So come on Matterport prove us all wrong.
Post 73 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
On the link It looks as if Matterport is saying they will have one of the 2 companies listed below do the scan.

Hopscotch interactive and Capture it 3D

Hopscotch does not have prices listed and Capture it 3D has prices listed that are low but still higher than what matterport is quoting on that link.

Is anyone from the forum associated with either business?
Post 74 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
Hopscotch already replied but not on this post
Post 75 IP   flag post
@alx3D the lady from Hopscotch has posted on here giving us her side of the story. But I always say a story has three sides to it. His side, her side, and the truth.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
Its here: https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/5040/page/1/why-i-am-participating-in-the-pilot/#9
Post 77 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
If matterport wants to capture some of that income i get it but set the price high as [redacted]... it is good for everyone!

They make a lot of money on dishing out scans because they have biggest marketing reach. We all look like great value because we are way cheaper than MP. Price is relative so they should set it high.

They make good money on both ends. Setting the price low makes tiny amounts for MP and starves out all the MSPs.

Investors want to make money? Set the price standard high!.25/ft+
Post 78 IP   flag post
If they don't change very soon, keep an eye on eBay going to have a lot of 2nd hand Matteroprt cameras going to market. I think my Pelican case is worth more than my camera now.

Yes, charge us for the add on services make your returns there. Makes business sense. Stop trying to control this market. You will fail.

And then again them owning the content is leaving a bad taste in my mouth each day. It is forcing us to look at new solutions I am very sad to say that. But its technology so you adapt or you become inferior. I don't even want to think of the legal implications we can face with our clients. And the number of business I have lost just because of this short sightedness and greed.

Maybe tell the clients they are only "renting " the content that we created of their establishment from a product we paid for and paying a hosting fee each month that we don't even own. I want to see them pitch this to Shark Tank and see what they will say about this fantastic business model. I will pay money to watch that show.
Post 79 IP   flag post
clickable text

Love the reference to a Cartell from Chriss Wood hits the hammer on the head.
Post 80 IP   flag post
101772 133 30