Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 39 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CommentaryFAQMarketingPricing

Matterport to explode (in a good way)4647

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

If you read my post (and related discussion) ...

I need help with up to 2,000 scans in the US

It's obvious to me that a Tsunami is coming (soon) to the Matterport eco-system (including you). More on that in a moment.

We Get Around Atlanta bought a Matterport camera in July 2014. That's when Matterport Spaces 3D Tours as we know them today were first possible. And, way before any of these other Matterport derivative services.

Our expectation - probably similar to you - armored cars would be lined up at our loading dock with cash to buy Matterport Spaces 3D Tours from We Get Around Atlanta.

Spoiler alert: that did not happen It's hard work showing people the future.

Fast forward to today (24 May 2017). https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/4644/page/1/i-need-help-with-up-to-2000-scans-in-the-us/" target="_blank">The post about a Client seeking up to 2,000 scans is just ONE inquiry in ONE vertical. We have received other similar calls from companies seeking an efficient way to scale Matterport scanning and typically along the lines of their agency can book, coordinate and host - but they are looking for an easy way to source Matterport Pros.

So, imagine in the next year or two when every vertical where visual storytelling could help people make faster decisions to buy, lease, rent, go, attend, stay, visit, book, etc., many companies will be seeking an easy, fast and simple way to source Matterport Pros.

So, the Tsunami is coming. It's just taking longer than we all had hoped or expected.

So, when I bought the Matterport Camera in July 2014, started the Forum in August 2014 and the Network in October 2014, I knew I might be early, but I did not want to be late. Early is a competitive advantage. Late is you have to do it because your competition is doing it.

And, I am not the only one that see the Tsunami coming ...

In that related discussion, @Home3D writes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home3D
Hi Dan,
It's encouraging to hear that a company is looking at nationwide use of Matterport. This is what we're hoping for, the tip of an iceberg approaching where Matterport is seen as a beneficial component for restaurants, hotels, national brands. For many years I directed national TV commercials and it's exciting if this technology is getting noticed.
Matterport is a quality product and we all play a role in protecting and expanding its reputation.

What do you think? Is the Matterport eco-system about to explode (in a good way)?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod With professionals like you leveraging large contacts and sending us out as your foot soldiers, we are sure to succeed faster!
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

But I am not proposing that We Get Around book Pros for this Client. Instead, I am suggesting three ways that the client's agency could source up to 2,000 Matterport Spaces by year-end (2017).

Do you feel like We Get Around should offer to be that agency? They are seeking a fixed price. That would mean I would need to seek the best price to make the difference between what We Get Around charges and what We Get Around gets paid. This seems like a conflict of interest since We Get Around Network is about helpful Pros succeed faster; including getting paid the most money.

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
StevenHattan private msg quote post Address this user
Dan...what is your goal with this forum? It would be a disappointment to learn you are promoting the lowest bidder.

Perhaps if the "Agency" can educate the Client on the *value* of "your" Pros, thus eliminating the lowest bidder mindset, it could be a win-win situation.

...or confidentially set something up with Client but keep it between Client and Pro.

As mentioned, it would be disappointing to find out a competitor of mine is shooting Matterport because a guy I pay monthly gave it them.
Post 4 IP   flag post
LetMe3D private msg quote post Address this user
No, other than what you have done already I think you should stay out of making a deal on our behalf. All of us are in completely different places with our businesses.

Some retired guys would do it almost for free and others would need more for their logistical situations to make it worth their while. Then, more than likely we would have to be paid by you the one they made the deal with. Big companies take their time paying everybody it is just the way it is. This could lead to your untimely death and I wouldn't want to see anything bad happen to you (LOL).

$$$ is the root to all the problems in the MP world and I know there are some out there selling their souls and the rest of us down the river to do MP work but this job, if it ever materializes is going to be a nightmare for most of us and you as well.

Stick to doing what you do best and don't get greedy. The allure of easy money is very tempting for being a middle man and making a little piece off every worker bee.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@StevenHattan
@LetMe3D

Thank you for your insight. I believe it is spot on - make it super-easy for the client's agency to find Matterport Pros, educate the client about best-of-class professionals and stay out of the booking Pros business.

This is the exact conflict of interest that Matterport has. I started a discussion on this topic here:

Does Matterport have a conflict of interest?

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
I just hope some will find its way over the water towards us in South Africa, :-) Lots of overseas tourists visiting and I believe it would be in their interest to have the ability to "see" what they are booking before they book. (If I read between the lines and presume what the business of the large entities could be)
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@JC3DCX

Yes. It is a global company. For this project, they want to focus on the US in 2017 and expand this initiative internationally in 2018.

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
Will be ready for them in 2018, :-)
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Birmingham, Alabama
rko1 private msg quote post Address this user
We have 3 Matterports and are currently averaging almost 3 properties a day. Our model is to build to 10 Matterports as people fully realize the potential that is here NOW. WE R Ready, willing, and able..
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@rko1

3 a day. That's awesome. How do you make sure you are not late to an appointment?

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod he has three cameras and likely three operators 😁. I have two pro 2s, a pro 1 and three operators and my goal is simply to always be available in one form or another 😁
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Dan,
It's Kevin at - Home3D.us - checking in again, with a recommendation for the assembled masses that worship at your site. There is much ado concerning what MSPs can earn, and how some are inclined to seek work through undercutting prices of others. We who have been doing this a while, and especially those who have worked to push the envelope - scanning huge properties, scanning outdoors, programming "natural-feeling" showcase tours and more - know from experience that MP is absolutely not for the faint of heart. MP likes to advertise the turnkey nature of the system, but it's not, and I'm sure many agents who have succumbed to buying a camera have not persisted in using it. MP is a technical art, and the system needs dedicated "artists" (meaning devoted MSPs) for it to succeed.

But the rub is that we seek work mostly from RE agents, and from my experience, this is what holds the wide adoption of MP back. Agents work on commission, and where I live (L.A.) and most places across the country, agents pay for marketing. Many of them won't even pay traditional photographers a decent wage, and they MUST have still photos. MP is an additional, optional expense. Yes, the Pro 2 camera can output stills, but they don't even come close to what my Sony A7sii shoots in ARW raw format, enhanced through Lightroom and Photoshop. So... MP is an additional expense. And what about Video? Zillow bumps ALL listings with a video to the top of their searches, and yet less than 4% of listings nationally have "video" and most of these are the shaky, badly-lit, "Zillow videos" from their iPhone app, which make homes look even worse than they are in person. The fault isn't the app as much as the simple fact that agents are not filmmakers (duh). Nationally, Professional Video is used in less than 1% of listings.

Where am I going? The lack of both MP and Video is tied, more than anything else, to the reluctance of agents to take on another marketing expense that they can choose to avoid. So don't look to agents to "come around" to MP, at least in the near future.

INHO, all MSPs should concentrate their advertising, whatever form it takes, and as much as they can afford, on educating the homeowning general public to the miracle of Matterport. Sellers WANT Matterport. I've spoken to agents who have used MP, and some of them admitted to shooting MP only because the seller insisted on it. That's where the money is. As to how to monetize this into greater revenue, well, that's up to each of us. But focus on the public, not agents, and I think we'll all hasten the arrival of that Tsunami Dan refers to.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Home3D

From reading your post, it is obvious that Matterport needs to market to people that are planning to sell their homes: not to real estate agents.

When homeowners ask for Matterport to help sell their home; an agent will say yes, we do that (and then engage a Pro). Initially, they will say yes to have a competitive advantage to win the listing; then, they will say yes because every agent does it.

Like drug manufacturers marketing to consumers, Matterport needs to do the same.

Matterport needs to help create the demand, rather than focus on selling Camera.

When homeowners demand that the agent include Matterport, Matterport will sell cameras.

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

WGAN-TV Live at 5 (pm ET Today, 12 September 2017) discussion about Matterport Content Distribution (formerly known as Matterport Syndication Beta).

Matterport Content Distribution is an example of leveraging the Matterport APIs/SDKs to create exponential growth for Matterport (and hopefully for Matterport Service Providers).

Thanks in advance for tuning in ...

Best,

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
101421 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?