Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MarketingWeddingWire

I need help with up to 2,000 scans in the US4644

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
I need help with up to 2,000 scans in the United States

Hi All,

I could use your help. ...

A very large, well-known potential client reached out to me Tuesday (23 May 2017) that needs up to 2,000 Matterport scans across the US by the end of the year (2017). And, likely thousands more in 2018 – including globally. It is a big, exciting, commercial use case for Matterport Spaces.

I could imagine that this project will inspire other companies – in other verticals – to replicate how this client plans to use Matterport Spaces 3D Tours.

----

The potential client writes (from multiple emails):

“I'm reaching out because you seem to be the forum lead/moderator at We Get Around. I work at a company that handles [redacted] for a lot of [redacted], and we have been looking into ways to scan some of them (1,000 - 2,000) at scale, while not needing to buy a ton of equipment. Is there a possibility of setting up a partnerships with We Get Around - i.e. flat fee structure for X venues in select US markets? … I'm curious if it would make ... sense to work directly with a photographer network.”

“… To give you a bit more context - we ran a test in [market] where we bought [Matterport] cameras, hired … freelance photographers, and trained the photographers to use the equipment. We then edited and uploaded the scans to the venue's [redacted] [example redacted].”

“We would handle all logistics/communication with the venue, and we will pay for [Matterport] hosting and processing fees [in our Matterport account]. All we'd need is photographer time and equipment use - though they'd have to be logged in under our account. Does that all make sense? “

[Note: I redacted other emails and excluded details from our phone conversation on Wednesday.]

-----

While we are discussing either the client - or their agency - using the We Get Around Network Map to source Matterport Pros in June – the green, blue and purple public profile pins – I have a couple of thought-starters about crowd-sourcing Matterport spaces even faster and I would like to hear what you think.

Thought-Starter 1 – In Phase 1, We Get Around creates a private group in the We Get Around Network Forum and invite all Basic, Standard and Premium Members.

In this private Forum Group, the client posts which categories – and markets – of Matterport Spaces it seeks. Let’s say restaurants, for example. Then, Basic, Standard and Premium Members that have Matterport Spaces of restaurants in those markets are invited to fill out a form that includes links to their restaurant Matterport Spaces that they have already scanned - and still own the copyright - and submit it to the Company.

Then, the Company looks at the Pros’ Matterport Spaces; makes offers; and if the Pros agrees to the offers, transfers the models to the Client’s Matterport account (and copyright) to the Client in exchange for payment. This is an opportunity for Matterport Pros to get paid twice: once by the original client and now by this Client.

Or, should We Get Around created Private Groups for each Market that the Client seeks Matterport Spaces?

What do you think?

Thought-Starter 2 – In Phase 2 – in the same private Group in the Forum, the Client identifies specific restaurants (for example) – in one or more markets – that it seeks Matterport Spaces. Pros propose how much they would charge to shoot and publish it to the Client’s Matterport account (including the transfer of the copyright).

The client would assist with getting an okay from the restaurant (again, just an example). This is an opportunity to get paid once: just by this client. So, instead of pursuing restaurants directly – for example – Pros would already have orders to fill and assistance from the Client setting up the shoot and no post production requirements (other than posting to the client’s account).

Or, should We Get Around created Private Groups for each Market that the Client seeks Matterport Spaces?

Thought-Starter 3 – In Phase 3 – Client or Agency – uses the We Get Around Network Map to source Pros pro-actively for Matterport Spaces needed by the end of 2017.

What do you think?

So, why not publish which locations in which markets – in the Forum for everyone? Two reasons:

The Client does not want its competitors to know that it is aggregating up to 2,000 Matterport Spaces by the end of of 2017. (competitive advantage)
While the Forum is about giving and getting help, I make a living providing 40+ Membership benefits to hundreds of Basic, Standard and Premium Members. (Potential leads is one of the Membership benefits. So, the leads need to go to Basic, Standard and Premium Members.)

While the client - or agency - could follow a “traditional” path of sourcing Pros with the We Get Around Network Map [Phase 3], I am thinking that thought-starters 1 and 2 – for Phase I and II – would enable the client to crowd-source Matterport Spaces much-much-much faster and, at the same time, enable Basic, Standard and Premium Members of the We Get Around Network to get paid twice for the same Matterport Spaces [Phase 1].

The client is ready to get started in June [2017] with sourcing Matterport Pros [Phase 3]. Should I propose Phase 1 and 2 in thought-starter 1 and 2 above? Or, just stick with the plan to begin with Phase 3, as described above?

So, thanks in advance for your help. What do you think?

Any downside to suggesting to the Client thought-starters 1 and 2? Your thoughts on how to make the thought-starters better? Other thoughts?

Best,

Dan

P.S. This is a great example of why you want to save your Matterport Spaces 3D Tours ...
Post 1 IP   flag post
RGO private msg quote post Address this user
Hello Dan

If this company needs work in [redacted], we can help out.
rgo
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

I (just) received an email from a Member of the Forum:

----

Hey Dan,

Congrats on the big contact! Just read your post on the forum. If you need help in [redacted] let me know!

Take care,

[redacted]

----

For clarification, the Client - or their agency - will book Matterport Pros (not We Get Around). For these up to 2,000 scans, We Get Around is not the Client.

Clear as mud?

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
immersiveprop private msg quote post Address this user
I can forsee a lot of project management overhead in handling a project of this scale.

Things to think about:

1. How much overhead/management will WGA take on in having to manage private groups for each market?

2. How much hands on activity does the client want? Do they want to just tell WGA about a need then get quotes or do they want to be involved in interacting with every MP pro?

If WGA creates one private group then I can imagine the client could post the location needed and then vet the replies. This might be the easier option then having to manage/post to multiple groups and track what has been done and still needs to be done.

Just my 2 cents
Post 4 IP   flag post
SailAway private msg quote post Address this user
My team and I are in Dan. Please let me know how we can assist.

Paul.
Post 5 IP   flag post
StevenTing private msg quote post Address this user
I'm in.
Post 6 IP   flag post
3dinterspace private msg quote post Address this user
Thought starters 1-2 are sound to me Dan. We have plenty of equipment and people to handle the extra work.

Thanks,

Bryce
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@immersiveprop

Thank you for your insight about managing private groups for each market.

For clarification, the Client - or their agency - will book Matterport Pros (not We Get Around). For these up to 2,000 scans, We Get Around is not the Client.

That said, we want to do everything possible to make it super-easy and super-fast for the client - or their agency - to source Matterport Pros (Thus, our public facing Map to Find a Pro.)

Since the client plans to source of to 2,000 Matterport Spaces by year-end [2017), we want to help them do that as quickly and efficiently as possible. That's why I was thinking about suggesting Phases 1 and 2.

The trade off between one Private Group - for all Basic, Standard and Premium Members - and Private Groups by the markets that the Client seeks Matterport Spaces - and invite the appropriate Basic, Standard and Premium Members is some extra work (for We Get Around), but more efficient for the Client and their agency - and the Pros.

While it requires some more work for We Get Around, we use a lot of tools to automate our back-end process. And, we want to do everything that we can to help Basic, Standard and Premium Members get more business.

@immersiveprop putting aside the amount of extra work by We Get Around to create Private Groups by marketing, do you think doing Private Groups by Market would be beneficial to Pros and the Client (and their agency)?

@RGO
@SailAway
@StevenTing

Any feedback on thought-starters 1 and 2?

@3dinterspace

Thanks for the feedback. Would you prefer Private Groups by market and you be invited to the appropriate Private Group(s)? Or, one Private Group and you see all opportunities across the U.S.?

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
3dinterspace private msg quote post Address this user
Private Groups by market would definitely be more beneficial if possible for you to manage.

Thanks Dan,

Bryce
Post 9 IP   flag post
LetMe3D private msg quote post Address this user
Any [location redacted] work?
Post 10 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
In this private Forum Group, the client posts which categories – and markets – of Matterport Spaces it seeks. Let’s say restaurants, for example. Then, Basic, Standard and Premium Members that have Matterport Spaces of restaurants in those markets are invited to fill out a form that includes links to their restaurant Matterport Spaces that they have already scanned - and still own the copyright - and submit it to the Company.

Then, the Company looks at the Pros’ Matterport Spaces; makes offers; and if the Pros agrees to the offers, transfers the models to the Client’s Matterport account (and copyright) to the Client in exchange for payment. This is an opportunity for Matterport Pros to get paid twice: once by the original client and now by this Client.

Dan, does it mean that they are looking for Spaces already done? Unless you have a clear contract with your customer where you say that you reserve the right to use the model for your own purposes, I am not sure that you can simply use a model that was already paid by a customer to be used in another customer's website. What if the new customer's website uses the model in an way that goes against your original customer´s policies regarding image using and such?

Making new Spaces is OK, but using our customer's Spaces for the benefit of a third party in exchange for money doesn´t seem to be right...unless I am missing something here.

I think that the Phase 2 proposal is the best fit for the purpose of this project and the resources involved
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@jfantin

All great points.

In my phone conversation with the client Tuesday, I suggested that the client consider crowd-sourcing existing Matterport Spaces - since it is likely that the We Get Around Network Forum Community has already created some of the Matterport Spaces they seek. The client this. So we are in the midst of discussing how to best do this.

Yes. I understand you concern about creating a Matterport Space for your client and then selling the copyright to another client. For this particular Client - using the restaurant example - they would reach out to the restaurant to get their okay. Since the "use case" would likely generate more business for the restaurant, it is likely that the restaurant wold say "that's fine with us, as long as we can continue to use the Matterport Space" ... This is a grey area depending on the license that the client received from the photographer.

While this sounds a bit messy - and it is - in the Client's use case - all would benefit: the restaurant, the photographer and the Client. One downside for the photographer would be any other aggregator that would want the use of the Matterport Space for yet a different use case.

While I could imagine the Pro trying to license the content to the global company - in this instance, I could imagine that the client would say only if we own the copyright, otherwise, we will go back to the restaurant and offer to shoot another Matterport Spaces 3D Tour for free and the global company would own the copyright and control the use of the Matterport Space (to the extend that Matterport TOS doesn't say Matterport could use public models in any way that they wish).

A lot to think about here. Got me thinking more too ...
@jfantin

Why do you list this best?
Quote:
Originally Posted by @DanSmigrod

[b]Thought-Starter 2 – In Phase 2
– in the same private Group in the Forum, the Client identifies specific restaurants (for example) – in one or more markets – that it seeks Matterport Spaces. Pros propose how much they would charge to shoot and publish it to the Client’s Matterport account (including the transfer of the copyright).

The client would assist with getting an okay from the restaurant (again, just an example). This is an opportunity to get paid once: just by this client. So, instead of pursuing restaurants directly – for example – Pros would already have orders to fill and assistance from the Client setting up the shoot and no post production requirements (other than posting to the client’s account).

---

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
StevenTing private msg quote post Address this user
1 & 2 are both good. As a new person, I don't have much to contribute yet for 1 but am hoping with 2, I can build up my portfolio.

From a forum management standpoint, one board and all requests can be in a separate thread. In order to simplify a request, you would want to require that all titles begin with a state code like, CA, UT, NY so we can quickly filter through the search button.

While I am in the UT market, I would be willing to travel out of state if there were a number of opportunities presented. I would rather check one board than multiple boards/markets.
Post 13 IP   flag post
BrightViewPhoto private msg quote post Address this user
I am in!
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@StevenTing

Thanks for your insight. Yes. Those of us that got starter earlier have a portfolio of Matterport Spaces. Yes. #2, would work best for you. #1 might reduce the potential Matterport Spaces that need to be scanned. And, yes, we would need some work-flow to make it easy to locate opportunities. Presently, I use the TAG "Help Wanted" ...

Hi All,

A We Get Around Network Basic Member emailed me the following (and gave me permission to share as long as I redacted their info).

--

HI Dan,

My thoughts just between me and you...for now.

Why don't you take this and run with it?

Take the entire project and make it a referral base and income producer for yourself?

Use your network of Pro's-basic, standard and premium members to set up agreements for each market.

Negotiate a rate, and take a flat fee or % of each scan you refer out. I would gladly pay a referral fee for business generated. Once a pro is selected they sign an NDA so that the customers identity is protected. I see this as a different animal than what you provide for our monthly membership.

In Real Estate I provide leads all the time to other agents in other cities....

If its just a name, and they are wishy washy about buying/selling, I send it over just like you do. I make the connection and let them work it out.

However, when i get a sure deal...like i sell their house here in [redacted], and I know for a fact they are moving to [redacted] and have to buy....I establish an agent contact there, provide all details, and fully line them up. A white-glove handoff! In return i get 30-35% of that agents commission at closing! Thats the difference between farming out a cold lead, and locked lead.

I think you have a locked lead here. To the benefit of all parties, working out a pricing program to lock up their biz in all markets is the way to go.

Thought # 2 seems the best and cleanest way to proceed.

---

Hi All,

Your thoughts? While this was my original vision as outlined in this October 26, 2014 We Get Around Blog Post ...

Analysis: How the We Get Around Network of Matterport Pro 3D Camera Photographers Will Accelerate Adoption of Matterport 3D Showcase Cloud Processing and Hosting

... My business model has changed since then to making it super-easy and super-fast for potential clients - or their agency - to locate Matterport Pros anywhere - quickly. And, Matterport Pros join as a Basic, Standard or Premium Member for 40+ Member benefits, including potential referrals.

While I could imagine providing one order/one price for many, many markets - making a living on the spread between what We Get Around pays Pros and what the Client pays We Get Around, I feel like this would distract We Get Around from the long-term freemium model (Joining the We Get Around Network Forum to give/get help is free. Join the Network as a Basic, Standard or Premium (paid month-to-month) Member helps Members succeed faster with 40+ Membership benefits and potential leads.

How do you feel about We Get Around providing one-order/fixed price for many-many markets?

Best,

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
CompleteImagery private msg quote post Address this user
Would love to help in [redacted]

Thanks,
Marco
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Dan,
It's encouraging to hear that a company is looking at nationwide use of Matterport. This is what we're hoping for, the tip of an iceberg approaching where Matterport is seen as a beneficial component for restaurants, hotels, national brands. For many years I directed national TV commercials and it's exciting if this technology is getting noticed.

Hopefully this national outfit recognizes that the cost of living varies widely across the country. One-fee-fits-all is a race to the bottom, especially in markets like NYC, SF, LA. I'd be delighted to serve my market in a large project, but won't if the cheapest meat per pound is the driving goal. Perhaps others are fine with this.

Matterport is a quality product and we all play a role in protecting and expanding its reputation.
Post 17 IP   flag post
GeorgeK private msg quote post Address this user
If it has to do with Real Estate, and given the how "CHEAP" Realtors are this will be real difficult. The "PUBLIC Knowledge" of Matterport will drive 3D Scan growth, not someone trying to get 2000 scans linked to their web site.

In Real Estate we call this an Agregater like Trulia and Zillow they do not sell anything they just grab other peoples data and share it for a profit and try and sell the leads that this generates.

Unless they can host the Scan them self I really see some wholes in this.

BUT do not get me wrong this is something to look at as time marches on, business models are made to change.
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GeorgeK

This global client - focused on the USA for 2017 – is not an an aggregator in the way that Trulia and Zillow are. For clarification, in this example - the restaurant - pays this client (a lot of money) to be listed. The Client wants to add value to the $$$ they already receive from that client by enhancing their visual storytelling to help the client generate more money (and a reason to renew their annual agreement).

Does that help clarify?

Dan
Post 19 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
We are ready in the High Country of North Carolina...
Post 20 IP   flag post
GeorgeK private msg quote post Address this user
Myself personally I would call Trulia and Zillow "Ad Agencies" who sell leads instead of just exposure. Their profit model is not just ad revenue, thus why they picked up the industry label agregater.

I agree with what Home 3D (above comment) had to say about what the pricing system will be, for the Matterport provider. They go cheap and no one will do them.

And I would love to see the contracts. You say keep your scans, implying we own them and can resell them. Who will own the scans for this company and who is going to HOST them and where. And how will Google Maps interface effect this. These are just the logical questions I see.

BUT THIS IS A BIG PAT on the back for you. Clearly they see you as the industry authority on all things Matterport. That is really cool and well deserved.
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GeorgeK

Anyone that buys a ton of Matterport Spaces - and many do and source via the We Get Around Network Find a Pro Map – is likely to figure-out quickly what the going market-by-market rate is. And, yes, newbie Matterport Pros are likely to do Matterport Spaces scans for less as they built their client base, portfolio and experience, for clients that may be more price driven than anything else. We Get Around Atlanta has walked away because of the wide gap in our pricing versus what the client was expecting.

About ownership of the Matterport Spaces that We Get Around owns, yes, we need Matterport to host them. And, if we sell the copyright, then the company that buys the copyright will own them, and yes, still need Matterport to host them.

As @Metroplex360 described in a post some time ago. Think of Matterport as an art gallery that sells canvas and paint. I am the artist that painted with their paint and canvas. And, because, of their Terms Of Service, I can only hang my paintings on their walls. I can't go to another art gallery to hang them. So, again, use the Client that buys my artwork will still need Matterport to hang the artwork. Probably badly said, but you get my gist.

And, thanks for the "BIG PAT" ... We actually field calls like this regularly. Most simply use the We Get Around Network Map to source Pros. This opportunity is particularly interesting because of the volume and that they ARE interested in Matterport Spaces that have already been scanned.

Best,

Dan
Post 22 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
If the client is interested in just using existing spaces, there is nothing preventing them from doing so as our tours have no protection. This is just the same as sourcing YouTube content.

Unless Matterport implement domain restrictions, this client may simply approach Matterport. What are their terms of use anyway? Matterport are collecting address information for Google Street View presumably, but what is to stop them for also posting a master directory of locations on a map with this data?
Post 23 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

I believe Matterport is headed in that direction. And, it will be as simple as using their API to call up Matterport Spaces, if a Space exists at that address. Essentially, Matterport charges us to create content and then Matterport re-sells the content that we have created.

For this big Client, I have suggested that they use WP3D Models to generate the embed code. This will enable the client to use a much better static image that includes their logo (not Matterport's logo) and include the client's logo through-out the tour experience. (They this.) I haven't even had a moment today to let @rpetersn know to expect a call.

So, by buying the copyright in the Matterport Spaces 3D Tour, the Client does NOT need to pay for Matterport's API access and gets a much better visual storytelling experience.

Dan
Post 24 IP   flag post
OpenHouseOptics private msg quote post Address this user
I'm on board!
Post 25 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@BrightViewPhoto
@DouglasMeyers
@OpenHouseOptics

Feedback welcomed about the thought-starters in my original post.

Thanks,

Dan
Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Some related discussions:

Matterport to explode (in a good way)
Does Matterport have a conflict of interest?
An Amazing Magic Carpet Ride of Matterport
Why You Want to Retain the Copyright in Matterport Spaces
Urgent: Do Not Delete Scans from Your iPad
I need help with up to 2,000 scans in the US

Okay, back to the thought-starters and discussion above. Additional thinking?

Best,

Dan
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Just keep the pay and scan quality consistent with the square footage please.

We got some guys saying they can do a shoot in one hour skipping large chunks the client cannot get to in the tour.

We got outsource companies we already compete with using this model to undercut our chance at profits. The outsource companies require a dress code so I cannot advertise my own business. Will that be the case here?

And lastly, would we assume the scans will be roughly the same square footage? At what size does charge go up? An outsource may offer to pay you $200 for 2,000 sq ft and then $150 for 3,000 as ft because you're doing bulk.

I'm sure new guys would love to jump on the opportunity already working for outsource companies. Perhaps outsourcing to outsource companies could speed up the downward spiral of bottom feeders. Lol

I'd love to see a lead from WGA, but I haven't seen one since last year from an outsource co. We're still paying our dues believing in you Dan!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Viewing private msg quote post Address this user
If you can all hold off a few weeks you can all individually use Viewing to directly liaise with the client for your particular job(s) if you like? All records of conversations, agreements and job descriptions can all be kept it one place.

You can then use Viewing as a distribution channel to upload the tour and send to the client as a draft for approval or for the client to make notes for you to make amendments before sign off. You can do this via notes, messaging or even instant chat - all logged and all in one place for reference for you and the client.

It's there if you want it. Not going to try to convince anybody to use it if you don't want to but I'm happy to open this up for network-wide use rather than keep it for ourselves.
Post 29 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@VTLV

Yes. Quality can be all over the place. Even my real estate broker cousin wouldn't engage me to shoot a listing because of our pricing I offered to waive my travel fee so I could see her, but I knew her listing would take two full days to shoot it.

She engaged another Pro who raced though the (amazing space). She called me to complain about quality (as you noted).

Pricing would be between you and the Client.

And, about leads, thanks for hanging in there. This morning, another Basic Member wrote me:

"Yes. That client signed a 1yr agreement and we have already completed 35-40 scans. We anticipate to do around 100 by the end of 2017 for her alone."

Plus, potential leads are one of 40+ Member benefits. I encourage you to review your Welcome Onboard Letter to make sure you are taking advantage of your Basic Membership.

Best,

Dan

-----

[Added 4 October 2017]

Hi All,

Here are other WGAN Forum posts that include the tag: WeddingWire

Best,

Dan
Post 30 IP   flag post
101438 57 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?