Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Dollhouse ViewScanningTipsTrimTrimming

How to improve the Matterport Dollhouse View4844

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
[I apologize: I deleted the before model to stay under 300 Matterport Spaces hosted. While it is still on my iPad, it has already been trimmed ...]
Before Post Production (Before Trimming, Hiding Scans, etc.)

After Post Production (Trimming, Hiding Scans, Adding MatterTags)

Hi All,

When you scan a location that has covered, outdoor patios and porches - that do not have windows - use the windows tool to create windows.

In this example (before and after post production) with one patio and two decks, you can immediately see how using the Matterport Capture App window tool makes the Matterport Spaces 3D Tour dollhouse view much better.

How else do you improve the Matterport Spaces 3D Tour "dollhouse" view?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
Very Cool :-)
Post 2 IP   flag post
Dana Point, CA
RPOceanic private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Dan, this is a great tip! Any comments on trimming outside spaces? For whatever reason, I seem to have a difficult time getting consistent, clean edges using the trim tool to cut off raggedy edges outdoors.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Omaha, NE
judysmithre private msg quote post Address this user
Can you describe the steps to go from closed door inside to go outside with door open. Sometimes I have trouble.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@judysmithre

Forum posts tagged: Door and Doors

If you have follow-up questions on Doors, please post to one of those discussions.

Let's keep this discussion about dollhouse.

Thanks

Dan

P.S. @judysmithre In this video - Matterport Scanning Mirrors and Stairways - we talk some about doors open and closed. This video is viewable by Standard Members like you. Please see your Welcome Onboard Letter for the password or please PM.
Post 5 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
When there is furniture that is located close to an outside wall, I have noticed that many times, scanning from the corners is not sufficient to capture the face of the object (bed or tables) that is facing towards the outside wall. This results in an incomplete dollhouse and you are able to see underneath the object and into the floor below. In order to address this, I lower my camera to about 1 ft above the ground in order to scan "underneath" tables/chairs and beds. I also employ this technique when scanning in small closets and bathrooms to minimize the blind spot of the camera.

Here is an example of the above clickable text Look under the bed on the top floor.

If I really want objects attached to the ceiling to show up in the dollhouse view, like ceiling fans or other light fixtures, I will raise my tripod to the highest setting to best capture these items.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@JonJ

Excellent tip!

Thanks,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
I once did a scan of a helicopter hangar, and because the tops of the helicopters were so much taller than my tripod, they weren't captured at all by the camera for the dollhouse, resulting in a pretty strange dollhouse.

I rented a light stand from my local camera shop that was compatible with the screw on my Matterport camera and was able to raise the camera up to about 15 feet, high enough for the camera to scan the tops of the helicopters.

They still didn't come out perfectly, because they were pretty reflective and had a lot of windows, but it was a huge improvement. The client was very impressed and is scheduling me to scan another hangar he operates.
Post 8 IP   flag post
CelisNet private msg quote post Address this user
Great tips @DanSmigrod, it will be possible to have a screenshot of your edited version in the capture app?

Thanks!
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@CelisNet

Yes. Thanks for your patience; later this week.

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
Biggles private msg quote post Address this user
Dan, your tip on creating windows to the patios is a great one. But I'm finding it doesn't always work, sometimes I only get one or two sides of the patio, sometimes none. Are there more tips you can pass on?
e.g. should the window be created inside or on the trim line? I've been trying it a few different ways and nothing seems to be consistent as yet. Chris
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Biggles

Yes. Inside the trim line. For clarification, when trimming a patio or porch - to create nice windows for the dollhouse view, move the window trim inside the patio area (rather than trying to have it sit on top of the railing). Reprocess. If it is still a problem, please post a screen grab close-up of your trimming and the Matterport Space.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
Biggles private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Dan, I'll keep playing with it and see how I go.
I updated 30 models last week, some were fine, some not. I'll see if there are any standouts but in the meanwhile I've updated one in particular that wasn't working this morning and will let you know how I go. Chris
Post 13 IP   flag post
101429 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?