Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 732 Unique Visitors
9,055 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,766 Page Views | 19,092 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Deep LinksMPSkinProblemsTrimTrim SandwhichTrim ToolTrimming

Help! I tried a "trim sandwich" to fix an open/close door. Other solutions?18252

Alex77 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everyone,

I did a VT for a large "labyrinthine" exhibition.

Everything went well, except the last step. At the end of the path there is a shop, from which one should exit through a curtained door and returns to the starting point of the exhibition, which also acts as an exit.

When I scanned the initial part of the exhibition, I kept the curtain closed so that you couldn't enter the shop right away.

When I scanned the shop I opened the curtain, but as I feared now it is not possible to leave the shop.

I tried to reupload the project: the first time adding a trim between the scan point and the closed curtain, the second time creating a "trim sandwich" adding a trim line inside the shop as well. Both of these methods didn't work. Can you suggest me other solutions? Otherwise I'll have to go back and redo a single scan from outside the shop with the curtain open.

A thousand thanks,

Alex
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Alex77

Hmnmm.... I would have suggested a "trim sandwich"

Have you tried a Matterport"trim sandwich"?
WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Trim Sandwich
I can't move into an area because of an invisible wall

Two additional thoughts:

1. try the "trim sandwich" again (duplicate the model first)
2. share the tour and a screen grab of the mini-map showing the scans in this stop.

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@Alex77 like Dan pointed out without seeing a screen shot of capture app its hard to give you best fix. If you scanned several points near that transition opening, the software may have built a wall. In almost all cases it only takes one scan to create that invisible wall. It would require you to back off maybe more than one scan to eliminate the wall even if you apply the trim command.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron0987
@Alex77 like Dan pointed out without seeing a screen shot of capture app its hard to give you best fix. If you scanned several points near that transition opening, the software may have built a wall. In almost all cases it only takes one scan to create that invisible wall. It would require you to back off maybe more than one scan to eliminate the wall even if you apply the trim command.

@Alex77

Like @ron0987 says ...

Plus ...

You might try:

1. Duplicate the model
2. Delete the scans when near/when "door" was closed (from the beginning of the shoot)
3. Reprocess

Please let us know if this solves the problem.

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure why the "sandwich" method has not worked, that is the easiest way. You can try to trim each individual scan done with the curtain closed and it should remove unwanted mesh. For that you will need to add a trim line close to each scan blocking data going towards the curtain. Make sure trimming lines as short as possible and only blocking 3D data towards the curtain.
Post 5 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
I have also had instances where sandwich method didnt work.

U can try going to the web editor and use the 'delete mesh' (or something similarly named) tool. basically u define a box and it deletes the mesh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W636opyIWxg

so try making a door portal and delete the mesh.

i had varying levels of succcess on this with similar problematic closed doors spaces.

once had to scan a high security space where one set of doors only open after another set of doors closed. no way to get both sets of doors to open at same time.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I am surprised the Trim tool in workshop works for this purpose. It is supposed to hide mesh placed within a trim box but it is still there and still should block going through a door way.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
Berlin, Germany
3dblickwinkel private msg quote post Address this user
You can also use MPSkin. Have had the same issue that trim sandwich hasn´t helped.
Post 8 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
@3dblickwinkel super solution. thanks for sharing

i suppose the poor man's equivalent is to use mattertags deep links to link thru the door too.
Post 9 IP   flag post
101743 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?