Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 674 Unique Visitors
9,057 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,711 Page Views | 19,043 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceBLK360GearLeica BLK360Pro3ScanningTall TripodTips

Matterport Scanning with Pro3 Camera at a height of 5-7 meters (16-23 Feet)18163

Znh private msg quote post Address this user
Good morning,

I am looking for options for scanning in higher height (5 - 7 metres) with Matterport Pro 3. Below I am enclosing results of my recent research and my experience with high height scanning from past with BLK 360. The advantage is that in most cases you can fully capture the buildings (incl. facade and roof).

I had already done this in the past with very high stand and Leica BLK 360. You can see one of the results here - "Matterport Link Here"

1) I was using this stand - 269HDB-3U - Link here

- unfortunatelly, by the words of Manfrotto staff, this stand is no longer available and is no longer produced.

2) You can get this stand in version 269HDB which is not designed for cameras, it is designed for lights. I worry about stability with using an adapter and I would much prefer other option. Link to 269HDB here

3) Just now I have found the latest option on Manfrotto webpage. It is an 4,7 metres long extension called Virtual reality carbon fiber extension boom large (MBOOMCFVR-L) - Link to extension here
- this extension has carrying capacity of 2kg, which should be barely enough for Pro 3.

I am not fully sure, but the extension looks now as the best (if not only) option. Does anyone have experience with this extension or with any other option?

Thank you very much for advice.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

From the WGAN Forum discussion: Robots for 360 photographer to automate or semi automate capturing process

@Znh

Welcome to the WGAN Forum.

Here are WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Tall Tripod

Anything helpful in those WGAN Forum "Tall Tripod" discussion?
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Screen Grab from: Manfrotto 269HDB-3U Super Giant Stand with 3 Leveling Legs (Black) via Amazon USA.

@Znh

Manfrotto 269HDB-3U Super Giant Stand with 3 Leveling Legs (Black) is available via Amazon USA.

It's the camera version that supports 11,000 Grams (24.25 pounds).

The Matterport Pro3 Camera weight: 2.2 kg (4.85 pounds)

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thank you Dan. Some of the older topics were very helpful. Thank you also for the link. I did not know Manfrotto 269HDB-3U was still available in US, as Amazon always automatically redirected me to EU/UK site. There is no shipping option to EU from US, but I could use a forwarder.

However now I am also looking into some tripods with "elevation stick", which I saw in the older discussion, and which i find very convinient as a more advanced solution. I am looking for these options at Nedo website and similar. But if anyone has a recommendation, I would be very grateful.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
This is not 7m and not even 5m tall but there is a big tripod that can go to 4 meters on AliExpress and it should be under US$400. I cannot say how good it is because I have never owned it(still thinking) but looks well built by photos. Here is a link
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
If you do not mind an elevation tripod there is plenty for $100-200 on eBay and in online shops and I have seen up to 4 meters in this price range. I was even considering buying it for one job. However the job did not go through and I have bought it online and never bothered to go to a local shop just to see how sturdy they are.
Post 6 IP   flag post
EMILIANO private msg quote post Address this user
@Znh @Wingman

Hi,

I bought and tested this:
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00Q8GBV1W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the jolts of the PRO3 when it rotates off axis must be dampened with a professional tripod)
Maximum height 305cm + PRO3 = 345cm

You need to buy adapter -from 5/8" to 3/4"- https://shop.laserscanning-europe.com/Small-adaptor-for-tripod-from-5-8-to-3-8

and a carrying bag https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B09SHRTH11/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

E.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Glide Gear Sky High 20' Heavy Duty Professional Video Camera Sports Tripod Stand via Amazon

@Znh

How about this one?

=> Glide Gear Sky High 20' Heavy Duty Professional Video Camera Sports Tripod Stand via Amazon

1. Weight limit: 6.02 pounds (2.730 Kilograms)
2. Maximum Height: 19.68 feet (600 Centimeters)

The Matterport Pro3 Camera weight: 2.2 kg (4.85 pounds)

Best,

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod

Excuse me if I venture, but the Camera PRO3, having an off-axis rotation and jerks, triggers vibrations on the rod, not allowing alignment between scans.

E.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMILIANO
@DanSmigrod

Excuse me if I venture, but the Camera PRO3, having an off-axis rotation and jerks, triggers vibrations on the rod, not allowing alignment between scans.

E.

Yikes!

Great points!

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
@EMILIANO

Thank you, if there is no option with more height, I will go for this one as it is tested.

Would the off-axis rotation of Pro 3 cause alligning issues also with Manfrotto 269HDB-3U? Anyone tested?
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Znh

the difference with the BLK360, which rotates on its axis, is when (I don't understand the reason) during the rotation of the PRO3 at each step (there are 4) it suddenly stops, transmitting the stop on the support point. the PRO2 was more delicate.

for the Manfrotto 269HDB and similar items the support floor must be perfectly flat, as it is not possible to adjust the support legs (as far as I know)

This company offers specific products for laser scanners...

https://shop.laserscanning-europe.com/Telescope-tripods

E.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi all,

Anyone use sandbags designed for tripods for these ultra-high tripods (or just hold on while rotating)?

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
Austinpike private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znh
@EMILIANO
Would the off-axis rotation of Pro 3 cause alligning issues also with Manfrotto 269HDB-3U? Anyone tested?

We have the Studio Assets MegaMast and I'm finding the off-axis Pro3 design to be a real problem. It rotates and the whole shaft flexes. So it is tough to get a stable scan beyond maybe one extension. If the camera paused longer between rotations, it might give the wobble a chance to settle down.

We tried the Glide Gear that Dan linked in post 8, but found it to be too heavy to be "convenient" to carry around. The carbon fiber MegaMast is much easier to deal with in that respect. That was before we got the Pro3 though, so I'm not sure if the extra weight would have helped w/stability. I suspect with any of them there will be too much flexing regardless of sandbags or how you anchor the base.

I guess I get that they wanted to lens to be at the rotation point, but I'm finding the design to be awkward in a number of ways.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Austinpike That is an important information, thank you. I guess if no one else responds, I will go for - https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00Q8GBV1W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - suggested in post 7, which not that hight, but it is the only successfully tested solution with Pro 3 so far.
Post 15 IP   flag post
101771 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?