Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CamerasLeakLiDARNewsPro3Pro3Leak

Matterport Pro3 Camera/Scanner leak?17264

RealtyMediaMx private msg quote post Address this user
@johnwheatley I would upgrade if the price is not that High
Post 26 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod I think that the laser feature helping dramatically the outdoor scanning compared to the ugly Pro2-Cortex experience is the selling point to me.
Post 27 IP   flag post
johnwheatley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter
Well I have 3 Matterport cameras and now anyone can use their phone. I have over 600 models hosted for over 5 years, so yeah, I think they should just give me the new camera.

I don't get the logic in the first part of your statement. The fact that you bought old technology from them in the past and the fact that technology improves and things get easier and cheaper for the masses is no reason to give you a discount. That's a good argument for selling you new stuff all the time at full retail.

On the other hand, the fact that you are proven to produce hosting income for them in the past, and if they think that your past performance will translate into you producing significant new hosting revenue for them, then that could justify a discount for you. On the other hand, why give a discount to you if you will continue to produce income for them with your outdated technology. They don't need to give you anything; you already produce for them. They may think: "If he wants to upgrade to make his life easier with quicker scans and his clients life better with better quality, then let him make the investment. But if he wants to keep producing hosting revenue for us using his old slow technology, that's fine with us, too. However, we want to sell new devices so that we get economies of scale, so we better price this at the rate that maximizes overall profit for us, and then sell it to everyone at that optimized price."
Post 28 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
WGAN-TV | IFTI/PROvision Solutions: Ordering Matterport Digital Twins Globally | Guest: IFTI/PROvision Solutions Vice President of Business Development James Duffy | Episode: 156 | Thursday, 11 August 2022 | IFTI/PROvision Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwheatley
@DanSmigrod

Of course I could be wrong, but I assume that Pro2 owners/MSP's who upgrade to a Pro3 would, on balance, only marginally increase their business. They are already doing scans with their Pro2. If their schedules are filled with scanning, how much more busy can they be? I guess if they can scan faster, they can be a little busier. (If it takes less time to scan, will prices fall?) And if they are not busy, how much will upgrading motivate them to get off their butts and do more marketing? Not a lot, I think. Of course, you are much closer than I, and also have a much broader view, so I defer to your prognostications :-)

I think someone ought to get on the horn with that leaky MP reseller and ask what their price is going to be.

@johnwheatley

Respectively, Matterport Service Providers that use a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera and are considering buying a Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Scanner/Camera need to shift thinking (particularly because of the price tag).

For example, instead of focusing on the low margin residential real estate listings, focus on commercial clients where the LiDAR 'matters' ...

1. As-Builts
2. Weekly or Monthly Construction Documentation (Commercial Spaces)
3. Facilities Management
4. Large spaces
5. Outdoor spaces (including elevations)

No sense upgrading to a Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Camera/Scanner unless MSPS focus on larger, better paying jobs.

Prior to today's news leak by a Matterport Reseller, I interviewed IFTI/PROvision Solutions Vice President of Business Development James Duffy about Matterport scanning at scale around the globe.

Listen to how many times we say "Leica BLK360 Scanner/Camera" and the uses cases for a "Leica BLK/360 Scanner/Camera + Matterport versus Matterport Pro2 3D Camera + Matterport.

Now imagine that instead of investing in a $20,000 Leica BLK360 Scanner/Camera to use with Matterport, you buy the Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Camera/Scanner (that I estimate will cost $7,500).

If you are among the first to buy a Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Camera/Scanner, I could imagine that IFTI/PROVision Solutions will have business for you (and likely Matterport Capture Services On Demand.)

For clarification, buying a Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Scanner/Camera is not about marginal, incremental shifts in residential estate state scanning; it's about new opportunities for Matterport scanning that pay much more.

A number of Matterport Service Providers have already reached out to me about shifting away from Matterport scanning of residential real estate. (That exit is likely going to be faster with Matterport's recent acquisition of VHT Studios:

1. Matterport Acquires VHT Studios to Accelerate Adoption of Digital Twins
2. Matterport Acquisition of VHT Studios: 9 Reasons This is a Bad Strategy
3. It may not be easy to compete with VHT & Matterport

As Apple would say, think different.

Best,

Dan
Post 29 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealtyMediaMx
@DanSmigrod I think that the laser feature helping dramatically the outdoor scanning compared to the ugly Pro2-Cortex experience is the selling point to me.

Yes. Different as Night and Day.

(Is that a visual pun?)

Cortex is a workaround for a known problem. Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Scanner/Camera is a solution that solves a problem head on: scanning outdoors.

Dan
Post 30 IP   flag post

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwheatley
@DanSmigrod

Of course I could be wrong, but I assume that Pro2 owners/MSP's who upgrade to a Pro3 would, on balance, only marginally increase their business. They are already doing scans with their Pro2. If their schedules are filled with scanning, how much more busy can they be? I guess if they can scan faster, they can be a little busier. (If it takes less time to scan, will prices fall?) And if they are not busy, how much will upgrading motivate them to get off their butts and do more marketing? Not a lot, I think. Of course, you are much closer than I, and also have a much broader view, so I defer to your prognostications :-)

I think someone ought to get on the horn with that leaky MP reseller and ask what their price is going to be.

As I shared above, it's in Matterport's best interest to get the Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Scanner/Camera in the field as quickly and as efficiently as possible. It's not about making money on the hardware. The Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Scanner/Camera will Matterport succeed faster.

Dan
Post 31 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
You missed the small print release date 2026😂😂😂😂😂
Post 32 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron0987
You missed the small print release date 2026😂😂😂😂😂

My guess is that the Matterport official announcement via Globe Newswire - a media release - will be:

Monday, 15 August 2022 at 7 am ET.

I could also imagine that Matterport is coordinating with select media - under embargo - for their stories on or after the official media release.

Embargoes typical end when someone already announces the news!

Dan
Post 33 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@johnwheatley

BTW ...

Even if you do not buy a Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Scanner/Camera, the Pro3 should raise all boats by creating more scanning opportunities which leads to more scanning opportunities.

Best,

Dan
Post 34 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
You will need a Pro3 to stay competitive.

Pro3 Lidar dollhouses and 3D structure will be much better than Pro2 and I also expect the image quality to improve significantly (hopefully with a 1 inch sensor).
Post 35 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeshImages
You will need a Pro3 to stay competitive.

Pro3 Lidar dollhouses and 3D structure will be much better than Pro2 and I also expect the image quality to improve significantly (hopefully with a 1 inch sensor).

@MeshImages

So "Table-stakes" may be $7,500 (my estimate) for a Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Scanner/Camera versus $3,395 for a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera for a Matterport Service Provider.

Best,

Dan
Post 36 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
I do believe that the Pro1's were $4,995 when I was starting out. I still have 2 Pro1's & 2 Pro2's
Post 37 IP   flag post
@lilnitsch yes that is what I paid for the original camera also.

@MeshImages I don’t know if you will need to buy the new camera to stay competitive, I did not see a big increase in orders just because we got the Pro2 when it was first released.

I can see if you provide a service to the AEC market they may require it, or may bring in new business. But if I have learned one thing I bought my first camera when it was first released.

I bought the Pro2 when it was first released and in both cases I paid a premium price and in both cases the prices dropped. Unless there is a significant discount for current owners with a designated time frame I think I will just wait.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Shakoure private msg quote post Address this user
Any leaked info about Pro 3 image quality?
Post 39 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
From what I gather, using a Leica BLK increases the time to scan an entire space 2-3 times longer. For me that's going to be a huge consideration. Maybe somebody who actually uses it can give me an accurate comparison time in field compared to a Pro 2 3D. But with a BLK you could definitely attract higher quality AEC clients and perhaps much bigger jobs.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Reality Capture Experts also post the camera release
Post 41 IP   flag post
@Shakoure Nothing yet, but I bet It will be out soon
Post 42 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
@RealtyMediaMx I'd love a 30 day test drive, with a Pro2 trade in program. Looks like a $5,000-$7,000 camera.
Post 43 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron0987
I don’t know if you will need to buy the new camera to stay competitive, I did not see a big increase in orders just because we got the Pro2 when it was first released.

I can see if you provide a service to the AEC market they may require it, or may bring in new business.

This time the “technology-jump” will be much higher than from Pro1 to Pro2.

20 Meter Lidar range and 4x scan speed in large open spaces will make a huge difference for many job proposals - especially in AEC.

And if you want to scan for the Metaverse, you need a Pro3 (could be my marketing claim 😆).
Post 44 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Depends on a price. $7500 is probably too much especially if you have a BLK360 which is just more than Matterport. I will see.

P.S. And an idea to do things faster is not really appealing to me as most of the time I am paid for my time.
Post 45 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@RealtyMediaMx

Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Camera/Scanner official Matterport announcement? Not yet!

No Matterport media release distributed via Globe Newswire, as of 9 am ET Friday, 12 August 2022.

I still anticipate that Matterport will distribute a Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Camera/Scanner media release the morning of Monday, August 15, 2022.

Thanks again for posting the Pro3 likely accidental leak. That's bold textBIG news.

Best,

Dan
Post 46 IP   flag post
@Wingman BLK is good for 3D content but not for image quality, this could be the best of both worlds
Post 47 IP   flag post
When talking about photo quality I am not sure what to think when @Jump showed us that the Pro2 quality that was provided by MP could be better.

Either MP was not processing the photos to give us the highest quality that could be achieved or they easily achieve a higher quality with a few tweaks.

I was able to compare the quality @Jump provided and was impressed. So again it would be nice if MP would provide the highest quality photos or they would allow an aftermarket provider extract the best that can be achieved.

So when people talk about image quality it will be hard to compare the possible image quality when you know the Pro2 image is not as good as it could be.
Post 48 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
@ron0987

Matterport put an end to this as folks were exporting the hi-res panos to rebuild on other platforms. Once again I believe if a customer has paid for the service both processing and hosting that at a minimum they should be allowed access to the imagery.
Post 49 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnitsch
@ron0987

Matterport put an end to this as folks were exporting the hi-res panos to rebuild on other platforms. Once again I believe if a customer has paid for the service both processing and hosting that at a minimum they should be allowed access to the imagery.

It is likely that Matterport would sell more cameras and get more Matterport cloud hosting accounts if it enabled photographers to shoot once and built out / publish to other platforms (by enabling the highest quality image export that is possible).

Dan
Post 50 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
@DanSmigrod does Matterport even look at this forum? We give them billions of dollars of free grassroots marketing intelligence. I guess we can download the regular 360 scans and that. Bottom line is the average consumer can't tell the difference.
Post 51 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETMYVR
@DanSmigrod does Matterport even look at this forum? We give them billions of dollars of free grassroots marketing intelligence. I guess we can download the regular 360 scans and that. Bottom line is the average consumer can't tell the difference.

Post 52 IP   flag post
@lilnitsch I do agree that once you have paid for a product you should own all the rights to the complete data. But as a whole we have been forced to except the product as delivered.

@DanSmigrod I also agree if people knew they were getting the best camera, support and data or end product MP may sell more. Plus, they would not have to worry that people as a whole would not try and modify the data and turn it into something better if it was the best product released.

For me it is hard to continue to buy into the product again. Matterport has not been the head turner in the Seattle area I would hope it would be. If it does have a comeback as a key product, why the Pro2 would not serve the purpose.

Along with the overall lack of support from MP, I have to admit things have gotten a little better. But I will voice the same complaint I have made for years there is no forum supported by Matterport where we get an idea where the company is going.

Recently we have seen the Android APP release with the ability to import 360 Panos from any camera. We saw the release of the Smartphone rotator, but I see there is no clear direction on what the focus is on and now maybe the release of the Pro3.

What is the direction of MP so as a consumer I know the direction they are focused on. So, I know which product to get behind to benefit my business.

Again, to purchase a third camera blindly with the hope it is the best is hard to do, especially when I see so many other products pushing the limits and that if I wait MP will drastically drop the price on the camera itself from the initial release price.
Post 53 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GETMYVR

Yes. Matterport employees read the WGAN Forum.

Dan
Post 54 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Nothing official from Matterport (yet).

Since the link was on Thursday of last week, perhaps the Matterport Reseller jumped the gun by a week. If so, that would mean an announcement by Matterport this Thursday, 18 August 2022.

Dan
1:54 pm ET Tuesday, 16 August 2022
Post 55 IP   flag post
101641 149 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?