Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 732 Unique Visitors
9,055 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,766 Page Views | 19,092 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CamerasLeakLiDARNewsPro3Pro3Leak

Matterport Pro3 Camera/Scanner leak?17264

RealtyMediaMx private msg quote post Address this user
Is this a leak?
https://www.matterport.partners/pro3?lang=en
Any info about?
Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
@RealtyMediaMx

Looks like a Matterport. Great specs!
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Premium
Lahaina, Hawaii
Skeeter private msg quote post Address this user
Well isn't that nice. The camera should be given to original Matterport partners for free. Or at lease a huge discount.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Source

@RealtyMediaMx

Thank you for being the first to report in the WGAN Forum on this.

I have NOT seen a Matterport announcement on this, as of 1 pm ET Thursday, 11 August 2022.

In case this vendor gets asked to remove this link, I included a screen grab above.

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@RealtyMediaMx

Looks like it's related to my 6+ month old prediction:

Why Matterport will Build/Sell a Leica BLK360 Clone for Less Than $7,500

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@RealtyMediaMx

Outdoor scanning in bright sunlight = LiDAR (not structured light).

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@RealtyMediaMx

Longer distances scan data = LiDAR

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@RealtyMediaMx

Level of Detail (LOD) accuracy improved = LiDAR

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@RealtyMediaMx

Wow! 4x faster scanning (than a Pro2) with importance improvements such as:

1. Outdoor scanning in bright sunlight
2. Longer distances scan data
3. Level of Detail (LOD) accuracy improved

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@RealtyMediaMx

Look at the specs (above). My prediction looks spot-on!

1. How much will the Pro3 cost?
2. When will it be available for delivery?
3. Will existing Matterport Pro2 3D Camera owners receive special pricing

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod
May I add one question:

4. What will be image quality (sensor) and stitched resolution?
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@RealtyMediaMx

Sure looks like a pre-mature leak to me!

I just searched Globe Newswire for any Matterport Pro3 news. No news as of 1:15 pm ET Thursday, 11 August 2022.

Since Matterport did its 2Q22 Fiscal Results announcement yesterday (Wednesday, 10 August 2022), that might have been a time to make this announcement. So, I could imagine that the soonest that the Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Camera/Scanner will be announced will be Monday, August 15, 2022. That said, Matterport usually distributes their media releases on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Thanks again for calling attention to the Pro3 "announcement" to the WGAN Community.

This is BIG news!

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

@RealtyMediaMx

The Matterport Reseller removed the page that you shared!

Instead, the same link now redirects to the screen grab above, as of 1:22 pm ET Thursday, 11 August 2022.

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thanks @DanSmigrod, it looks like it was a leak.
The specks seems awesome, I hope the price match the Pro2 segment
Cheers
Post 14 IP   flag post
johnwheatley private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

Why would Pro2 owners get a discount? When phone manufacturers put out an improved phone every year, do they give previous owners a discount? Matterport needs to make sales revenue, and I think that Pro2 owners will make up the vast majority of buyers for the Pro3. Seems like discounting to us would cut their own throats.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
@johnwheatley

Classic plan holders will likely pay a premium per model to process the tours
Post 16 IP   flag post
Shakoure private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

Sure, 4x faster scanning sounds impressive, but is that because it has a wider range for each scan or is it because each individual scan is completed much quicker?

If it's just the latter, then it might not be that practical timewise.

Here's why, at least in my experience. My setup with a Pro II completes scanning, transfer, and alignment, in about 18-23 seconds.

Most times, by the time I reposition and clear for the next shot, the app is already set to go (I use an iPad Mini 6 which has really great processing power behind it.)

Depending on price, faster scans might be a value point for some, but it seems that range, accuracy, (perhaps resolution if data isn't too heavy) would be the biggest selling points... well, that's if the leak has any "reality" behind it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@lilnitsch I bet that too
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwheatley
@DanSmigrod

Why would Pro2 owners get a discount? When phone manufacturers put out an improved phone every year, do they give previous owners a discount? Matterport needs to make sales revenue, and I think that Pro2 owners will make up the vast majority of buyers for the Pro3. Seems like discounting to us would cut their own throats.

@johnwheatley

I could imagine would giveaway the Matterport Pro2 LiDAR Camera/Scanner IF it could identify those most likely to:

1. increase hosting
2. increase size of scans
3. increase the use of Matterport in AEC, As-Builts, Construction Documentations
4. develop new business where it was not affordable before with a Leica BLK360 Camera/Scanner: outdoor elevations; outdoor power lines
5. add value to the Matterport Camera Services On-Demand Service

While no one expects Matterport to giveaway the Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Scanner/Camera for free, based on the above list, the sweet spot is Matterport Service Providers. Or, essentially anyone that has previously bought a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera.

I could imagine that Matterport will - should - offer existing customers a sweet deal because Matterport will make more money from Matterport Cloud Hosting and Add Ons (ancillary sales) rather than hardware sales.

Since Matterport has reported - as late as yesterday (10 August 2022) supply chain issues with parts for the Matterport Pro2 3D Camera, Matterport might not offer special pricing, as I suggest above and for the reasons above.

That said, during COVID, Matterport continue to sell the Matterport Pro2 3D Camera at below cost because - as it reported in analyst calls - made more money on hosting and add ons that justified selling Pro2s at a loss (do to supply chain issues).

For additional reading on this topic, I recommend this WGAN Forum post that I wrote 6+ months ago:

In my analysis/commentary, I talk about why Matterport could sell the a Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Scanner/Camera at cost (make money on Matterport Cloud accounts; Add Ons, etc.) versus a hardware company that needs to make its money on the camera/scanner.

Your follow-up questions or thoughts?

Best,

Dan
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: 124. Leaked: Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Scanner 1st Reported by WGAN Forum; Reseller Likely Jumps the Gun | Video courtesy of www.WGAN-TV.com | Thursday, 11 August 2022

WGAN Forum Podcast | Episode Number 124
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Shakoure
I think a large increase in time savings for large spaces is do to dramatically increased scan range. I assume this means that fewer scans will be needed to stitch accurately. This will not translate in smaller spaces where more scans are needed for doors and walls and transitions and just for navigating through the structure.
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN
Premium
Lahaina, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnitsch
@johnwheatley

Classic plan holders will likely pay a premium per model to process the tours
That will suck!
Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN
Premium
Lahaina, Hawaii
Quote:
@DanSmigrod

Well I have 3 Matterport cameras and now anyone can use their phone. I have over 600 models hosted for over 5 years, so yeah, I think they should just give me the new camera.
Post 23 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @johnwheatley
@Shakoure
I think a large increase in time savings for large spaces is do to dramatically increased scan range. I assume this means that fewer scans will be needed to stitch accurately. This will not translate in smaller spaces where more scans are needed for doors and walls and transitions and just for navigating through the structure.

I could imagine that this LiDAR scanner will be priced around $7,500; so it is not a substitute for a Pro2 Camera for residential real estate.

Matterport might have been better off NOT naming it a Pro3 BECAUSE its specs and price point are way different that a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera.

For clarification, if you are doing a Matterport scan of a house, a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera is the right tool. I could make the case that a Ricoh Theta Z1 camera is the right tool (because of the faster workflow that likely results in a lower price point and the quality (compared to a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera is "good enough".

Dan
Post 24 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod

Of course I could be wrong, but I assume that Pro2 owners/MSP's who upgrade to a Pro3 would, on balance, only marginally increase their business. They are already doing scans with their Pro2. If their schedules are filled with scanning, how much more busy can they be? I guess if they can scan faster, they can be a little busier. (If it takes less time to scan, will prices fall?) And if they are not busy, how much will upgrading motivate them to get off their butts and do more marketing? Not a lot, I think. Of course, you are much closer than I, and also have a much broader view, so I defer to your prognostications :-)

I think someone ought to get on the horn with that leaky MP reseller and ask what their price is going to be.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@johnwheatley I would upgrade if the price is not that High
Post 26 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod I think that the laser feature helping dramatically the outdoor scanning compared to the ugly Pro2-Cortex experience is the selling point to me.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter
Well I have 3 Matterport cameras and now anyone can use their phone. I have over 600 models hosted for over 5 years, so yeah, I think they should just give me the new camera.

I don't get the logic in the first part of your statement. The fact that you bought old technology from them in the past and the fact that technology improves and things get easier and cheaper for the masses is no reason to give you a discount. That's a good argument for selling you new stuff all the time at full retail.

On the other hand, the fact that you are proven to produce hosting income for them in the past, and if they think that your past performance will translate into you producing significant new hosting revenue for them, then that could justify a discount for you. On the other hand, why give a discount to you if you will continue to produce income for them with your outdated technology. They don't need to give you anything; you already produce for them. They may think: "If he wants to upgrade to make his life easier with quicker scans and his clients life better with better quality, then let him make the investment. But if he wants to keep producing hosting revenue for us using his old slow technology, that's fine with us, too. However, we want to sell new devices so that we get economies of scale, so we better price this at the rate that maximizes overall profit for us, and then sell it to everyone at that optimized price."
Post 28 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
WGAN-TV | IFTI/PROvision Solutions: Ordering Matterport Digital Twins Globally | Guest: IFTI/PROvision Solutions Vice President of Business Development James Duffy | Episode: 156 | Thursday, 11 August 2022 | IFTI/PROvision Solutions

Quote:
@DanSmigrod

Of course I could be wrong, but I assume that Pro2 owners/MSP's who upgrade to a Pro3 would, on balance, only marginally increase their business. They are already doing scans with their Pro2. If their schedules are filled with scanning, how much more busy can they be? I guess if they can scan faster, they can be a little busier. (If it takes less time to scan, will prices fall?) And if they are not busy, how much will upgrading motivate them to get off their butts and do more marketing? Not a lot, I think. Of course, you are much closer than I, and also have a much broader view, so I defer to your prognostications :-)

I think someone ought to get on the horn with that leaky MP reseller and ask what their price is going to be.

@johnwheatley

Respectively, Matterport Service Providers that use a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera and are considering buying a Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Scanner/Camera need to shift thinking (particularly because of the price tag).

For example, instead of focusing on the low margin residential real estate listings, focus on commercial clients where the LiDAR 'matters' ...

1. As-Builts
2. Weekly or Monthly Construction Documentation (Commercial Spaces)
3. Facilities Management
4. Large spaces
5. Outdoor spaces (including elevations)

No sense upgrading to a Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Camera/Scanner unless MSPS focus on larger, better paying jobs.

Prior to today's news leak by a Matterport Reseller, I interviewed IFTI/PROvision Solutions Vice President of Business Development James Duffy about Matterport scanning at scale around the globe.

Listen to how many times we say "Leica BLK360 Scanner/Camera" and the uses cases for a "Leica BLK/360 Scanner/Camera + Matterport versus Matterport Pro2 3D Camera + Matterport.

Now imagine that instead of investing in a $20,000 Leica BLK360 Scanner/Camera to use with Matterport, you buy the Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Camera/Scanner (that I estimate will cost $7,500).

If you are among the first to buy a Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Camera/Scanner, I could imagine that IFTI/PROVision Solutions will have business for you (and likely Matterport Capture Services On Demand.)

For clarification, buying a Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Scanner/Camera is not about marginal, incremental shifts in residential estate state scanning; it's about new opportunities for Matterport scanning that pay much more.

A number of Matterport Service Providers have already reached out to me about shifting away from Matterport scanning of residential real estate. (That exit is likely going to be faster with Matterport's recent acquisition of VHT Studios:

1. Matterport Acquires VHT Studios to Accelerate Adoption of Digital Twins
2. Matterport Acquisition of VHT Studios: 9 Reasons This is a Bad Strategy
3. It may not be easy to compete with VHT & Matterport

As Apple would say, think different.

Best,

Dan
Post 29 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealtyMediaMx
@DanSmigrod I think that the laser feature helping dramatically the outdoor scanning compared to the ugly Pro2-Cortex experience is the selling point to me.

Yes. Different as Night and Day.

(Is that a visual pun?)

Cortex is a workaround for a known problem. Matterport Pro3 LiDAR Scanner/Camera is a solution that solves a problem head on: scanning outdoors.

Dan
Post 30 IP   flag post
101749 149 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?