Gear of the Week
---
Video: WGAN-TV Home3D.us Gear Accessories-WGAN-TV www.Home3D.us Gear Accessories-#2957-Glide Gear EBR150 Basic Video Camera Overhead Tripod 15 Extender Riser www.WGAN.INFO/3

Video: WGAN-TV Home3D.us Gear Accessories-WGAN-TV www.Home3D.us Gear Accessories-#2958-Kodiak Kuadrant Rechargeable Tactical Lantern Flashlight - Super Bright 2000 Lumens with 360 Degree Range www.WGAN.INFO/7 $70

Hi All,

Here is a "MacGyver" solution for adding a 360 light to the Matterport Pro2 3D Camera, as described by Home3D.us Virtual Services Consultant and Creator Kevin Dole and Home3D.us Photographer Eric Dole in WGAN-TV Short Stories #2957 and #2958 above).

Got a different lighting solution for scanning with the Matterport Pro2 3D Camera? Please post below.

Best,

Dan

Transcript (Video 1 of 2 above)

Item number three is a 15 inch riser.

The tiny URL is: www.WGAN.INFO/3 and I don't have a price because this item is not presently available on Amazon. Do you recall how much it is?

[00:16:53]
Kevin Dole: It was available when I looked last night.

[00:16:55]
Dan Smigrod: Interesting.

[00:16:59]
Kevin Dole: It's made by an independent company called Glide Gear. I think Glide Gear probably started as a company that made these sliders for photographers.

You put your camera on a slider and shoot a very smooth thing from a tripod. The product itself is unscrewed as you can see it by itself. It is two metal plates with three steel bars in-between.

The head here is separate, but it's just that piece that you don't have to take it off. Well, I actually do, why not. What you get is this.

[00:17:43]
Dan Smigrod: That's actually very helpful to see it solely by itself.

[00:17:48]
Kevin Dole: It's got an embedded 1/4 inch screw on one end. It's 15 inches.

[00:17:58]
Kevin Dole: In the movie business we call these risers. Sometimes it's called a tripod extender and on the bottom it's got a 3/8 hole so that it is perfect for going into that.

You put it on there, spin it on and whatever head you would normally have on the tripod, you simply put on top and that's it. It's a 15-inch riser

[00:18:22]
Dan Smigrod: What problem was that solving for you?

[00:18:25]
Kevin Dole: What it does is a couple of things. One, it means that I have height.

Oftentimes, like when I'm scanning Matterport, I like to keep this down as much as possible because it's a little bit wobbly on that center column, but when I'm shooting Matterport on this tripod, I usually take the bottom one and I extended about 7 inches or so depending upon the house, depending upon the height of the ceiling of a particular house.

I'll put this down flat, get those all even and that plus the Matterport camera about the height that I find ideal. Puts the Matterport lens about 5 feet, maybe even a little bit lower if it's a low ceiling house.

[00:19:15]
Dan Smigrod: You could do that same height just with that four extender leg tripod?

[00:19:19]
Kevin Dole: Yes, but if you did, the spread would be considerably wider. If this was removed and these were extended, the distance between the bottoms would be a lot greater.

[00:19:31]
Eric Dole: The riser creates a much smaller footprint for it. It's easier to navigate through tight houses or hallways.

[00:19:38]
Kevin Dole: Exactly. Tight hallways, sometimes you have to have a door. Scan something yesterday, a fraternity house at USC, yesterday scans and there were communal bathrooms that were so tight and they wanted to have a scan, it was for construction.

They wanted to scan even inside the shower stalls and the stalls and the bathrooms and stuff. All these doors propped open with.

What are you trying to say? I'm trying to say this. Doorstop. Doorstop . Doorstops stuck in the hinges to keep the things apart. We have very narrow spaces to move between and the tripod was spread large. You just can't do it.

Also on stairways, if the tripod legs are not as far apart, it's easier to work up a narrow staircase and extend one down and accomplish it. I just find that number one, much easier to work with a narrower spread on the bottom. It's still all the stability you need for the Matterport.

Also, this is great, you just push your hand under there and lift. It's a very easy way with center of gravity, center to lift up and move around the tripod as opposed to grabbing this to move it to the next spot.

[00:21:11]
Dan Smigrod: I've heard two solutions. First, I know I've had the exact problem you've described, three doors at the end of a hallway and which door you're going to keep open and the tripod is too large and it's creating a problem.

Second is narrow staircases. Then third would be just making it easier to move around.

Transcript (Video 2 of 2 above)

Item number three is a 15 inch riser.

The tiny URL is: WGAN.INFO/3 and I don't have a price because this item is not presently available on Amazon. Do you recall how much it is?

[00:16:53]
Kevin Dole: It was available when I looked last night.

[00:16:55]
Dan Smigrod: Interesting.

[00:16:59]
Kevin Dole: It's made by an independent company called Glide Gear. I think Glide Gear probably started as a company that made these sliders for photographers.

You put your camera on a slider and shoot a very smooth thing from a tripod. The product itself is unscrewed as you can see it by itself. It is two metal plates with three steel bars in-between.

The head here is separate, but it's just that piece that you don't have to take it off. Well, I actually do, why not. What you get is this.

[00:17:43]
Dan Smigrod: That's actually very helpful to see it solely by itself.

[00:17:48]
Kevin Dole: It's got an embedded 1/4 inch screw on one end. It's 15 inches.

[00:17:58]
Kevin Dole: In the movie business we call these risers. Sometimes it's called a tripod extender and on the bottom it's got a 3/8 hole so that it is perfect for going into that.

You put it on there, spin it on and whatever head you would normally have on the tripod, you simply put on top and that's it. It's a 15-inch riser

[00:18:22]
Dan Smigrod: What problem was that solving for you?

[00:18:25]
Kevin Dole: What it does is a couple of things. One, it means that I have height.

Oftentimes, like when I'm scanning Matterport, I like to keep this down as much as possible because it's a little bit wobbly on that center column, but when I'm shooting Matterport on this tripod, I usually take the bottom one and I extended about 7 inches or so depending upon the house, depending upon the height of the ceiling of a particular house.

I'll put this down flat, get those all even and that plus the Matterport camera about the height that I find ideal. Puts the Matterport lens about 5 feet, maybe even a little bit lower if it's a low ceiling house.

[00:19:15]
Dan Smigrod: You could do that same height just with that four extender leg tripod?

[00:19:19]
Kevin Dole: Yes, but if you did, the spread would be considerably wider. If this was removed and these were extended, the distance between the bottoms would be a lot greater.

[00:19:31]
Eric Dole: The riser creates a much smaller footprint for it. It's easier to navigate through tight houses or hallways.

[00:19:38]
Kevin Dole: Exactly. Tight hallways, sometimes you have to have a door. Scan something yesterday, a fraternity house at USC, yesterday scans and there were communal bathrooms that were so tight and they wanted to have a scan, it was for construction.

They wanted to scan even inside the shower stalls and the stalls and the bathrooms and stuff. All these doors propped open with.

What are you trying to say? I'm trying to say this. Doorstop. Doorstop . Doorstops stuck in the hinges to keep the things apart. We have very narrow spaces to move between and the tripod was spread large. You just can't do it.

Also on stairways, if the tripod legs are not as far apart, it's easier to work up a narrow staircase and extend one down and accomplish it. I just find that number one, much easier to work with a narrower spread on the bottom. It's still all the stability you need for the Matterport.

Also, this is great, you just push your hand under there and lift. It's a very easy way with center of gravity, center to lift up and move around the tripod as opposed to grabbing this to move it to the next spot.

[00:21:11]
Dan Smigrod: I've heard two solutions. First, I know I've had the exact problem you've described, three doors at the end of a hallway and which door you're going to keep open and the tripod is too large and it's creating a problem.

Second is narrow staircases. Then third would be just making it easier to move around.

---

WGAN-TV eBook | MSP Home3D.us | Top 10 Gear Accessories for Matterport Pros | Guests: Home3D.us Virtual Services Consultant and Creator Kevin Dole and Home3D.us Photographer Eric Dole | Episode: 145 | Thursday, 12 May 2022 | www.home3d.us

WGAN-TV eBook | MSP Home3D.us | Top 10 Gear Accessories for Matterport Pros [31 Gear/Accessories]

WGAN-TV | IMSP Home3D.us | Top 10 Gear Accessories for Matterport Pros | Guests: Home3D.us Virtual Services Consultant and Creator Kevin Dole and Home3D.us Photographer Eric Dole | Episode: 145 | Thursday, 12 May 2022 | www.home3d.us

Above is the entire show.

---
Here are all the Tiny URLs (WGAN Affiliate Links)
---

1 WGAN.INFO/1 Manfrotto MT190XPRO4 Aluminum 4-Section Tripod
2 WGAN.INFO/2 Neewer Photography Tripod Dolly, Heavy Duty with Larger 3-inch Rubber Wheels and Carry Bag
3 WGAN.INFO/3 Glide Gear EBR150 Basic Video Camera Overhead Tripod 15" Extender Riser
4 WGAN.INFO/4 Neewer Tripod Leveling Base with Offset Bubble Level
5 WGAN.INFO/5 Haoge 64mm Screw Knob Clamp Adapter Mount for Quick Release QR Plate
6 WGAN.INFO/6 Camco 25573 Bullseye Level
7 WGAN.INFO/7 Kodiak Kuadrant Rechargeable Tactical Lantern with 360 Degree Range
8 WGAN.INFO/8 ZenRich iPad 5th/6th Generation Case, iPad 9.7 Case with Rotatable Kickstand/Shoulder Strap
9 WGAN.INFO/9 Wireless Portable Charger 30,800mAh 15W Wireless Charging 25W PD QC4.0 Fast Charging
10 WGAN.INFO/10 Ricoh Theta X 360 Camera + GoPro Accessory Bundle
11 WGAN.INFO/11 Neewer 20 inches/50 Centimeters Portable Compact Desktop Macro Mini Tripod
12 WGAN.INFO/12 SofiHome Premium Heavy Duty Door Stop Rubber Wedge with Decorative Holder (6-pack)
13 WGAN.INFO/13 Insta360 Selfie Stick (1st Generation)
14 WGAN.INFO/14 Insta360 3m 9.8ft Extended Edition Selfie Stick (2nd Generation)
15 WGAN.INFO/15 Insta360 ONE X2 360 Camera with Touchscreen - 5.7K30 360 Video
16 WGAN.INFO/16 Hard Case for Matterport Pro2 3D Camera + iPad and Accessories
17 WGAN.INFO/17 Wedge-It - The Ultimate Door Stop
18 WGAN.INFO/18 Blue Shoe Guys Professional Grade Disposable Boot & Shoe Covers Booties | 100 Pack
19 WGAN.INFO/19 Larger Binder Clips - Box of 24
20 WGAN.INFO/20 Stanley Torpedo level
21 WGAN.INFO/21 Matterport Axis Rotator (Training Wheels for Matterport)
22 WGAN.INFO/22 GemTune DY-60i Leveler
23 WGAN.INFO/23 Gorilla Tough & Clear Double Sided XL Mounting Tape, 1" x 150", Clear
24 WGAN.INFO/24 New Trent iPad 9th Generation Case, iPad 8th Generation Case, iPad 7th Generation Case
25 WGAN.INFO/25 High Density Foam Insulation Tape Adhesive Rubber Strip, Seal, Door Insulation Foam Tape
26 WGAN.INFO/26 Right Angle Cable: USB3 to USB3
27 WGAN.INFO/27 Right Angle Cable: USD3 to Lightening
28 WGAN.INFO/28 Manfrotto MB MBAG75PN Tripod Bag Padded 75cm (Black)
29 WGAN.INFO/29 Amazon Basics Small Hard Camera Carrying Case - 12 x 11 x 6 Inches
30 WGAN.INFO/30 5 Pairs Reusable Non Slip Shoe Covers, Premium Soft Washable Thickened Boot Shoe Covers
31 WGAN.INFO/31 BESTEK 300W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Car Inverter with 4.2A Dual USB Car Adapter

---

WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Lighting | Lighting Issues