Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceCustomer ServiceFloorsScanning

Matterport poor customer service. Floor problems16535

JimmyJim private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everyone. I'm having an issue where I did two separate Matterports at two different locations of the same townhome. It has quite a few steps in it and has 4 floors and the top most floor is a large walk out rooftop deck. Problem is I end up with only 3 floors.

The 4th floor is no more than a landing at the top of the stairs before you go outside on the rooftop deck.

Matterport support is basically not there. They just don't answer. I tried to get advise from them for best practices for this type of situation with no help either. I should have come here first.

I completely removed the 4th floor from my scans and redid both of the townhomes starting the 4th floor at the landing going up the steps (essentially floor 3.5 if that makes sense.)

What I got was both of them with only 3 floors again, BUT one model had floor 1, 2 & 3 on the correct floor with no rooftop deck the other with floor 1 on the 2nd floor and 2 on the 3rd floor and 3 on the rooftop deck.

Lol what a mess. I hope what I'm saying makes sense. I'm kinda losing my mind lol..

I did just start yesterday with yet another person at Matterport but I just don't know how that will go.

Has anyone had this issue before? I'm using a Pro2.

I'll attach 3 pics.

Thanks for any help.
Jim

Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
I always scan up the steps, and wait until I'm all the way up to where the camera is technically inside the fourth floor space, and the next scan on the actual 4th floor is where floor 4 should begin, looking down on the stairs. This is at least my workflow.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@JimmyJim

Can you post the Matterport tours here AND the mini-maps here so we can see the trimming.

These two things may help the WGAN community help trouble-shoot.

Thanks,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
@JimmyJim

It may be worth sending to a 3rd party service. I haven't used Matterport's floor plan services for a while now. I use home3ds.com

I have noticed with lofts and landings occasionally matterport will sometimes not count spaces as a level even when it is clearly visible in the model/dollhouse
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks. I have the two below-note only 3 floors in floor selector. Forgive my ignorance-Not sure what you mean by minimaps. Should I take a screen grab of my trim marks for all the floors? Thanks.

Here are the two spaces-

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=ZHbMPR7wGga

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=QjTV7pLHcVz

Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@JimmyJim

The mini-maps is what you see on your iPad. (Where you see what you are scanning and we can see the scan locations and trim marketings.

Just running out the door. I can look at this later today, once you post the mini-maps.

Thanks,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnitsch
@JimmyJim

It may be worth sending to a 3rd party service. I haven't used Matterport's floor plan services for a while now. I use home3ds.com

I have noticed with lofts and landings occasionally matterport will sometimes not count spaces as a level even when it is clearly visible in the model/dollhouse

Interesting...thanks for that. Unfortunately the customer only hosts on Matterport.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@JimmyJim home3ds.COM just needs the Matterport link to create a floor plan. They can also create floor plans from sketches or other 360 tour platforms
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
@JimmyJim home3ds.COM just needs the Matterport link to create a floor plan. They can also create floor plans from sketches or other 360 tour platforms

Got it. So I could just send them the link like I have below and they can fix?

Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@JimmyJim

The mini-maps is what you see on your iPad. (Where you see what you are scanning and we can see the scan locations and trim marketings.

Just running out the door. I can look at this later today, once you post the mini-maps.

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks Dan. I have screen shots of my trim marks for Northbank attached here. Hopefully I did this right. If so, I'll send the other model next.

Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@JimmyJim

What I like about the home3ds team is that they have a notes section when placing your order so, anything you may have concerns about you can place in the notes section. I believe a simple black & white floor plan for a model this size is around $10 and color is a minimal up charge
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@JimmyJim

Yes. That's the mini-map. When you post the next set, please include the Matterport Tour link too please.

Also, I am confused about the exchange with @lilnitsch. Seems like you are asking about the dollhouse model: not 2D schematic floor plans - correct?

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@JimmyJim

FYI ... I added the Northbank Matterport tour to your post above. Correct?

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@JimmyJim

For clarification, what problem am I looking for in the Northbank version that includes the mini-map above?

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@JimmyJim

For clarification, what problem am I looking for in the Northbank version that includes the mini-map above?

Dan

If he is referring to the # of floors in the tour itself its likely that Matterport will not fix this. I must have miss understood as I was under the impression he was talking about actual floor plans

As the dollhouse appears correctly. You could plausibly make a feature request to have levels regardless of the SqFt appear as separate levels
Post 15 IP   flag post

Post 16 IP   flag post

Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@JimmyJim

On a side note I would possibly consider getting there in the dawn or dusk hours to capture that rooftop deck an main floor deck in 3D scans as these would be nice features to showcase ~ especially as it appears that they are still building in this project and this would give a really nice sales piece
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
136-WGAN-TV | Trouble-Shooting Matterport Floor Issues with @JimmyJim | Friday, 4 March 2022

Hi All,

@JimmyJim and I did a screen share (video above) and I believe we solved the puzzle.

@JimmyJim is reprocessing the model (based on our discussion in the video above) and will post the results to the WGAN Forum (here).

The gist:

1. eliminate all scans where the Matterport Pro2 3D Camera could "see" the sun.
2. review the trim market where the door to the rooftop
3. add a mirror marking for the open door to the roof (that may be reflecting the sun)

Going Forward:

@JimmyJim will stop scanning when the Matterport Pro2 3D Camera can see the sun. (Just because there are clouds, the problems will still happen, as I explain in the video above).

And, the following is EXACTLY what we discussed (thought we did not see @lilnitsch post when we discussed it)

Quote:
@JimmyJim

On a side note I would possibly consider getting there in the dawn or dusk hours to capture that rooftop deck an main floor deck in 3D scans as these would be nice features to showcase ~ especially as it appears that they are still building in this project and this would give a really nice sales piece

Enjoy your weekend,

Dan

P.S. @JimmyJim, thanks for letting me record/share the video so that others could benefit from this trouble-shooting experience too.
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
We are all always learning. The only other thing I would add is scan 104 is way too far from scan 103, for myself at least. Maybe try more scan points first closer together, then further away. The sun is evil when it comes to a lot of photography.
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I think Matterport AI just joined 3rd & 4th floors together. It could be because there is no ceiling and full height walls captured on the rooftop so AI kind of knows it is not inside.

It does not make it right as it should follow floors created in the capture app but Matterport is known for manipulating floors without taking into consideration what's created in the Capture app.

As for Materport support not responding, have they sent you a ticket # after you contacted Matterport? If they have sent you an automated reply with a ticket # you are in a queue for support. If they have not something has happened with your support request and you are better to send another email.

In all my attempts to contact support I usually just send it directly from my email software to support@matterport.com And I am always getting automated reply with a ticket #.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Hi all. Unfortunately I still ended up with 3 floors. In fact, one of them ended up with only two floors. I filled out the customer support question online and got no response. I had a support ticket with no response after a week and then opened another with at least an apology and now I'm back to no response again from Matterport. I do have ticket numbers with Matterport.

All of my outside 360's wouldn't align to that door at the top floor. Anyone know any tricks for that?

I removed them from the 3rd floor and tried to align two to that top door but they only want to go to that third floor. What a mess. Thanks for the help.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=prgAAtaKThS

Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@JimmyJim

Ugh! I thoughts we had identified the problem and had a solution.

Please let us know what you hear from Matterport Support.

Best,

Dan
Post 23 IP   flag post
Thanks Dan and will do.

At this point I'll be surprised if I hear back from Matterport.

My past support was excellent from them not sure what's going on.

The link I have below is one of the very first one's I did for this model and the 360's pretty much aligned with the roof door.

Only reason I didn't use it is that I still only had 3 floors.

I might just submit this one to the client and suggest I go back to do the fourth floor at either dusk or dawn with 3D scans like was suggested or maybe this is good enough the way it is.

What does everyone think?

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=dCQrzAgD75S

Post 24 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@JimmyJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJim
I go back to do the fourth floor at either dusk or dawn with 3D scans like was suggested or maybe this is good enough the way it is.

What does everyone think?

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=dCQrzAgD75S

@JimmyJim

Hopefully, scanning at dusk or dawn will solve the problem.

Thanks for keeping us posted on the outcome.

Best,

Dan
Post 25 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@JimmyJim

My thought is that the actual floors in the model is based on the SqFt per level/floor & this is why these 2 landing are not being taken in to consideration in the floor numbering.

If not wanting to hit the the top sky deck at Dusk or Dawn if you have one of the supported 360 cameras you may also be able to overlap a couple scan positions to get through the doorway and scan that sky deck

In this model I had used a Z1 to connect the main home to the detached carriage house:
Post 26 IP   flag post
Thanks lilnitsch. Yeah I'm thinking you may be right about sq. footage per floor. Can you provide a little more info on overlapping scan positions? Nice job with the carriage house. You did that during the day with no issues with the sun? Oh, fyi I'm using a Pro2
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@JimmyJim

on the job above I used the Pro2 for the interiors and a Ricoh Theta Z1 to connect the 2 structures. In order to connect the two structure with just a Pro2 this would have probably taken 2 days just because you would need to wait for proper lighting to connect the structures

With your townhome project hitting that sky deck at dusk or dawn you should be able to capture that entire sky deck with 3D scans then if time & lighting permits I'd consider grabbing the deck off that living room as well

This is another example (all Pro2) connecting structures with proper lighting

Post 28 IP   flag post
Got it. Interesting you can use that Ricoh Z1 outdoors in sunlight without issues.
Post 29 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
@JimmyJim

Any of the 360 cameras can be used in this manner though currently the Z1 has the best image quality. I have shot Matterport tours with most of the supported 360 cameras the Insta360's are really grainy, Ricoh's V & SC2 are the next best and pretty much identical in image quality though the SC2 is a bit slower on the image transfer, The Z1 has the best image quality of the supported 360 cameras
Post 30 IP   flag post
101629 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?