Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CamerasGearHow ToTips

Flying with a Matterport camera15218

WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Noddy private msg quote post Address this user
Hello,
I did a quick search in the forum, but couldn't find anything re: bringing a Matterport camera on aircraft.

Can we bring a Matterport camera on a flight, either in the hold or carry on?

Taking a trip on Monday and trying to find out how it works (or if you can't).

I'm sure the lithium battery may be an issue, but then laptops are ok, so can anyone fill me in on the procedure please?

It's just a domestic U.S. Flight, with Delta

Thank you!
Post 1 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
You're good. I'll be carrying mine on board when I travel this fall. No way I'm checking the MP.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Cayman Islands
Harrycayman private msg quote post Address this user
I've flown with mine many times. The lithium battery has a particular size which matterport falls under. But just google it and keep a record in case they try to tell you something different
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Oh great! Thank you Harry and Harlan,

Now I've just discovered there is a rental car apocalypse in Cincinnati, and almost none to be had.. First time I've traveled since COVID, I didn't think finding a rental car would be such a problem

What happened to all those cars I wonder?

Regards,
Noddy
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Noddy
What happened to all those cars I wonder?

During COVID, rental car companies sold off stock and did not buy new cars to replace them. Hertz filed Chapter 11.

Is Uber an option?

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Thanks Dan,
I managed to make a reservation in the end, -just not positive it will actually be there when I arrive, let's hope so

Uber wouldn't work this time, I need to go to 5 different locations over 2 days, thanks for the suggestion though.
Post 6 IP   flag post
ToddsFotos private msg quote post Address this user
Contact U-HAUL. You can rent one of there pickups or vans for way less than a rental car company.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Thanks Todd!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Gladsmuir private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @Noddy
I’m glad to see your State-side colleagues answered your questions for you.
For those of us in Europe my experience has also been positive.
Both Ryanair, the budget carrier, and Aer Lingus, the former state airline, were happy with a Matterport in a flight case as carry-on luggage.
There was no issue with security either.
@ToddsFotos make a very good point about vehicle hire.
National Car Hire in Europe also do commercials including the smaller ‘car derived vans’ at some locations, and these are generally cheaper than cars.
Perhaps more importantly during peak periods they remain available and affordable.
You may have to rent from the city rather than airport office.
Safe travel!
Oliver
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Thanks Oliver,
All great to know, much appreciated!
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
Everyone on that airplane has a cell phone, and well cell phones normally use lithium-ion batteries. I can cite hundreds of stories where cell phones have inexplicably exploded for no reason and it's happened on planes.

As far as the TSA and anyone else's concerned, you're bringing a camera on board. Give it a few spins in the cabin at 36,000 ft!
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
@GETMYVR, it's a good point about the cell phones!

Just to fill everyone in, I had no issues taking the MP camera on board with me EXCEPT -turned out I had a rolly case plus a small soft rucksack, but the plane was a small jet, -no room for overhead storage of the rolly bag (even thought typical carry-on size), so I had to stuff the MP camer and ipad into therucksack with some foam, bring that on board and check the rolly bag!
It worked out, all good in the end.

Thanks to anyone who responded, much appreciated!
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen Grab: We Get Around Network Collections of Cases for Matterport Pro2 3D Camera
WGAN Master D2011-7 $189.99 | WGAN Pro $219.57 | WGAN Master $259.99 | WGAN Maestro $419.30

Hi All,

MyCaseBuilder offers cases designed for Matterport Pro2 3D Camera that fit in the overhead luggage compartment of regular sized airplane. If you are flying on a small commute plane - like @Noddy - the hard case is not the right solution.

Free! 12-Months WGAN-TV Training U (in Matterport) with $150+ MyCaseBuilder Case

Best,

Dan

Free! WGAN-TV Training U (in Matterport) 1-Year Membership when you use this WGAN affiliate link to buy any My Case Builder case for $150 or more. WGAN.INFO/MyCaseBuilder
Post 13 IP   flag post
101429 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?