Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MeshProblemsTrim

Matterport tour screw up with some small piece of mesh stuck in a doorway.15141

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I did this one yesterday. Even though I always pay attention to a closed door and keep it open if I am closer to a door less than 5 meters somehow I have screwed up this one.

I have found some points(scans on a reception desk and reflections from 2 lifts doors) where it could come from, fixed all and now it is in processing again.

Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
CLUB Member
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
lilnitsch private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman

I believe the paper in the window in the corner desktop scan is the culprit ~ A diamond pattern trim in the door way should resolve this issue

Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
yes it is most likely coming from the paper shown on the closed door and that one of the scan that you show I have applied a fix to. It could be also lift doors reflection but actually there was no point of scanning that could reflect these doors towards that doorway. I have marked the lift doors as a mirror just in case.

There is no need to trim in the doorway though. I have simply put a trimming line on the scan you are showing towards the doorway. I prefer not to trim with the sandwich method in doorways as it creates black spot in the doorway.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Matterport has processed my fixed model and it is working now as expected.

Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Sorry I have had to put it under password until I receive a payment from my client. I will remove the password soon so you can see it. The mesh in the doorway has been completelly removed with just 3 small trimming lines towards the doorway from 3 scan points that saw the door closed.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic Member
Boston
Noddy private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman,
Thank you for this tip, would you mind showing a picture of the minimap so I can understand how you trimmed it without using the "trim sandwich"?
I thought if it was not a complete "sandwich" that the trim line would just cut a swath through the rest of the scan areas.. so hoping to learn something from you here
Best regards,
Noddy
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
No worries. I have a meeting with a client in one hour but when I come back I will show how I have done it with a minimap.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
See two images attached.

The one above shows with red circles where I have applied some fixes. Two lifts doors at the top on the right side are shiny and even though they have probably nothing to do with the mesh in the doorway and that part of the tour has been actually cut out of the tour I have decided to apply mirror marking to them just in case.
Also three scan points circled in red and marked with trimming lines sitting on one side of each are the scans done with the door closed.

This one has been zoomed in to show how you can block 3D data to be distributed towards an area where unwanted mesh has been created. I scanned on a reception desk(see the top image for a reference for scans #74,75,75) just to get a clear view of it from a top in a dollhouse/floorplan views. When I scanned there I could see the door closed but I was hopping it was too far away for 3D data to be collected from the closed door. However it did catch 3D data from paper signs hung on the door and that what created the problem.

Most likely it was just one scan(#74) that could reach the door for 3D but just in case I applied it to two scans(#74 & 75) on the desk and one scan shown on the minimap at the bottom(see the first picture).

Note that my trimming lines only block 3D data distribution towards the door closed letting all other 3D data around each scan point to stay and be present in the 3D model.

Make sure you put the trimming line in a way that it is not sitting on a scan point circle, otherwise matterport will ignore trimming and it will show all 3D data. It is not clear on the second picture because the trimming line circle is sitting on the scan points but it is just a zoomed view of a screenshot that shows both the doorway(blue lines) and the scans where two trimming lines applied. I can zoom much more and you will see that the trimming lines themselves are not overlapping scan points at all. They are just sitting close to them and blocking for 3D data to go towards the doorway.

There is another way to remove any mesh from doorways where you just apply trimming lines to the doorway itself but I do not use. It is called sandwich trimming It is easier because you do not need to find or guess what scans an unwanted mesh are coming from. You just surround the problematic mesh in the doorway with trimming lines.

That's the last resort in case you cannot apply my method because with a sandwich trimming you create a blackhole spot(no 3D data there, no generated material for it) in a dollhouse/floorplan view where the doorway is. I usually get paid to create a 3D tour with the best representation of a space in a dollhouse/floor plan views and that's why I do not like the sandwich method at all.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
The password has been removed so you can see how simple trick with trimming has completely removed the mesh sitting in the doorway.
Post 9 IP   flag post
101436 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?