Matterport Tour by Capture Visual Marketing

Matterport Blog: Explore Mark Twain’s Home Where His Most Iconic Works Were

Hi All,

Matterport Blog (7 December 2020) Step Into the Pages of History - Explore Mark Twain’s Home Where His Most Iconic Works Were Written

Simsbury, CT-based Matterport Service Provider Tony Healy (@Capture) with Capture, LLC struggled with Matterport scans that needed additional light - such as the Mark Twain House with 1 candle of lighting.

Tony describes how the lighting solution that he helped pioneer - LitraTorch 2.0 Reality Capture Lighting Kit - was used to reshoot the Mark Twain house in this WGAN-TV Live at 5 show:

Transcript: WGAN-TV | How to (Easily) Add Lights to Matterport Pro2 Camera

WGAN-TV How to (Easily) Add LitraTorch 2.0 Lighting to a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera-#1669-Mark Twain House Tour

WGAN-TV How to (Easily) Add LitraTorch 2.0 Lighting to a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera-#1670-Mark Twain House And Jeopardy

Happy holidays,

Dan

Transcript (WGAN-TV Short Story (#1669 above)

So I did the Mark Twain House. It was one of our number one scans we ever did. And Mark Twain House is, when you walk into their lobby, or into their, or I'm trying to get out into the other, there we go. When you walk in, it is one lumen. It's supposed to be feeling like you're in a candle lit environment. So if you look at this picture--

- Tony, again, could you resize that?

- I'm going to, yup. So if you look at this picture right here, this is done with our light, and the new camera. So we've got the good new HDR, but we also have some nice soft diffused light going on, because I actually put white diffusers on each one of the three lights, which you can get from Litra. They're like using a softbox, if you were to go in for a portrait photograph.

But let me escape out of that for a second. This is what, this is what I had to do before that. And this goes back to using LEDs and lighting off the shelf, and you can see, here's a hotspot here. We hid lights everywhere through this place because it was so dark, but what wound up happening was inconsistent lighting and harsh lighting, gave us a really bright room that didn't reflect the nature of a candle lit room from back in the 1700s, 1800s.

So, working with all the historics that we do, when we use lighting now, I'll open this one up and I'll show you that same room, Okay? This is the same room, and this is what it feels like with the new lighting and the new camera. So this looking into harsh sunlight turning around here, but look at this, turning around here, see the difference. We're not adding lights off the shelf from a Walmart, or you know, it's we--

- No, I've literally done that. I've been on, I remember maybe five years ago going to a college campus, and I had some extra time and so the client had already left, I'm onsite, I go, okay, I'm going to pull those lights out of the trunk of my car, and I'm setting up lights behind pillars, I'm laying down.

- Every time you do it, you have to move them.

- Yeah. I'm laying down extension cords. I got, I'm hiding the lights behind the pillar. I then go to scan. I'm scanning going down. I'm moving the lights behind the next pillar.

So, I mean, what you've done with the LitraTorch 2.0 Reality Capture Lighting Kit, you know, like, well, that was silly, that just solved that problem. So there's, again, many Members of the We Get Around Network Forum that had been experimenting with lighting, but never really solved it until you and Litra have done, by putting together this kit that has a small, ...

- Small footprint, center gravity and easy to use. You said it great when you said to you to use, really is.

---

Transcript (WGAN-TV Short Story #1670 above)

- Yeah. Because what I put together was that I think I'm out of focus there.

- You just went out of focus a little.

- Where's my camera? Here's my camera. Well, I guess I would be soft. I don't know why that is, but we'll look at it I guess. So probably something to do with that. I got everything going on here, and it didn't know whether to focus on the camera or me and anyway, but going back to the Mark Twain House, got any interesting stories to tell about Mark Twain House?

- You just set me right up. So we all know anybody that's watched "Jeopardy" knows that Alex Trebek had passed away just this last week, and we're big "Jeopardy" fans, and last night, my wife and my daughter, my daughter is actually our Office Manager here in the company.

And due to COVID, she's living at the house and she's 28-years-old, but, I'll show you what came up as one of the questions last night, and why I had to share it with you today, because it was pretty amazing. Let me get out of here.

- So for context again, Tony, with Capture in the Southern new England area, scanned, did a Matterport scan of the Mark Twain House, and then his daughter is big fan of "Jeopardy," he's about to show us a video, let's go to the videotape.

- Okay. So this is what, so this, I'm going to try and blow this up for you. It's only as big as our screen grab. So how cool was that? Because indirectly, the only way it's online is because we did a Matterport tour of the Mark Twain House.

- That's awesome! So you could actually say that Matterport was on "Jeopardy" last night, Wednesday, November 11, 2020. You can say that your team scanned the Mark Twain House that was featured on "Jeopardy" ... How cool is that?

- It was very cool. We all got the chills, you know? Yeah. A lot of fun.

- Yeah. So if you don't mind, maybe you could post that video clip to the We Get Around Network Forum, also add the Mark Twain House, so that we can see, I think that's probably super significant, wouldn't surprise me if you post that in the Forum today or tomorrow, that you'll be getting a call by Matterport.

Well, I'm sure they'll want to include it on their blog too, cause I think that's super-big news and timely, unfortunately, related to Alex Trebek passing.

- It really was. It made it that much more special.