Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AsteroomMatterportNewbiesPlatformsVersus

Video: Asteroom versus Matterport12779

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: WGAN-TV Intro to Asteroom Virtual Tour Platform with Founder and CEO Eric Tsai #1464-Asteroom versus Matterport

Video: Asteroom versus Matterport

Hi All,

Asteroom versus Matterport?

If you are thinking about getting Matterport, this WGAN-TV Short Story (#1464, above) with Asteroom Founder and CEO Eric Tsai may help you decide which platform is right for you.

Discussion Includes

1. How long it takes to create the tour
2. How much I can charge for the tour
3. Asteroom Pano editing service of the 360 panoramas used to create the Asteroom tour
4. Virtual Staging of the tour
5. Asteroom Photographer Network
6. 3D Dollhouse comparison
7. Tour creation
8. Asteroom App
9. Ordering Floor Plans
10. Asteroom Pay Per Tour Bundle (special pricing for WGAN Forum Members)
11. Artist versus Business Person
12. Largest potential audience

You can watch the entire WGAN-TV Live at 5 show with Eric here.

For Asteroom special offers for WGAN Members, please see:

Three Asteroom Virtual Tour Special Offers for the WGAN Community

Questions about Asteroom versus Matterport?

Best,

Dan

Related WGAN Forum Discussions

24 Reasons Matterport Service Providers should Add Asteroom
Asteroom Pay Per Tour Bundle for WGAN Forum Members-No Monthly Subscription
Transcript: WGAN-TV Introduction to Asteroom with Founder and CEO Eric Tsai
Free Course: Introduction to Asteroom with Founder and CEO Eric Tsai
WGAN-TV: Introduction to Asteroom by Asteroom Founder & CEO Eric Tsai
Five Asteroom specific excerpts from this lengthy article by TheRealDeal
✓ WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Asteroom

Transcript (video above)

How else, today would you describe Asteroom is perhaps being different than if I'm thinking about getting Matterport and I'm looking at Asteroom.

What else should I be top of mind? You talked about how long it takes to create the tour, which translates to how much I can charge for that tour. To make it that much more affordable, you've talked about editing of the 360 panoramas. We'll talk more about that later.

Professional editing, and then also about the virtual staging. What else comes to mind in terms of helping make a decision about Asteroom versus Matterport?

- Sure. There's some other partnerships that I cannot disclose right now, soon to be announced partnership will be one key, I just can't really talk about it right now. And other than that, it's our services. Our virtual staging services, our panel editing services, and our dollhouse services, our floor plan services, right. Is we want to be a one stop shop. You just need to use Asteroom, right.

And then you take your panoramas and with a mobile app, controlling your app to controlling your 360 cameras, create a project, upload to us, and it will take care of everything for you. The ease, right.

You don't have to leave your mobile app at all. You can get the link on your mobile app, send it to your client, when you're on the go. You don't have to go to your desktop, there's no work that needs to ever needed to be done. You don't have to worry about stitching.

You don't have to worry about if we know which panels are where.

All you have to do is snap it within that 15 minutes, create a project, upload to us and tell us what exactly you want. Do you want a floor plan? Do you want a dollhouse? Do you want us to edit your photo? Do you want to virtually stage them? And we return the project in around 24 hours with the link, you send a link directly from your mobile.

- Terrific. And we'll talk more about that bundle of services coming up in the show. I know you've been kind enough to package together an Asteroom bundle. We'll talk more about that.

Stay with us. Very exciting news towards the end of the program. I still want to stay focused a little bit though on that comparison of Matterport. You haven't said it, but I'm going to say it. The quality of your dollhouse is very good. It's not Matterport. So there is a difference there.

But I think when you take a look at Matterport and Asteroom, and you start looking at, well, what's the quality of the tour? Okay, I'm walking from 360 to 360 and Matterport.

Walking, sort of through the space. I have this dollhouse view maybe it looks more realistic and Matterport maybe not as much in Asteroom. I think sometimes as photographers we get caught up in trying to assess some quality decisions.

And in my mind, I kind of described this are you an artist, or are you a business person? If you're an artist, you can have this conversation all day long and you'll probably decide on Matterport because you're an artist.

But if you're a business person and you want to make a living, and you want to have this pyramid as large as possible, the potential audience to go shoot for, then you're probably looking for a solution that lets you shoot in 15 or 20 minutes in order to create a tour.

And I suspect for most real estate photographers, the first thing that people want that real estate agents want are photos, and maybe second they want video. Maybe, today maybe they actually want a virtual tour 24/7 open house virtual tour. And I think the question is, is Asteroom good enough to check that box versus Matterport. And if it's from that from the homeowners perspective, or actually since the person spending the money is the real estate agent, real estate agent is really the ultimately the client.

If the client can use Asteroom as a way to win more and bigger premium listings more often get the listing presentation, win the listing, trade up to get bigger listings over time, if Asteroom is good enough to do that, and it can be accomplished at a lower price point, then that may be is really answering the question, are you an artist or a business person.

If you're business person, and you can make the tours that much more affordable for your potential client to still achieve their goal of winning that listing presentation, then, decision made.

---

Screen Grab: Join Asteroom Photographer Network
Post 1 IP   flag post
priche private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Dan,

I want to share my point of view on that if I may. And because Eric said he doesn't understand why I have time to spend writing long email, I will try to make it not too long for him (may be he's busy guy and cannot read long email).

This post has 2 parts:

1- for Dan, related to his way to manage the marketing coverage of the virtual tours providers on WGAN

2- to ask Eric if he can explain us how to handle the problem when a homeowner/real estate agent/broker discovers he can do the virtual tour by himself for a fraction of the cost the professional photographers is going to charge him for this virtual tour.
To say it differently, how to be good platform for the professional photographers all the way down to the simple real estate agent without having conflict of interests for one category of client towards the others?

For Dan:
First of all, as I'm new here I would like just to be sure I understand the concept of WGAN.
At first, I thought it was a group to talk about MATTERPORT platforma and MATTERPORT users, but I have seen your group shifting to introduce all the other platforms out there that could make virtual tours for professionals photographers who want or are already selling virtual tours services.

If I'm not too far from the truth, then I am wondering why, Dan, you seems so much attracted by Asteroom ;-).
Of course, you are free to manage your group as you want, but I am just looking at this post and was thinking about it. It's nothing more than an abstract of the full video of Eric and you. And if I look at the newsletter email I receive every day, I doesn't pass a day without receiving a new post related to Asteroom.
Again, it's totally ok you do whatever you consider good for your group but I am just trying to understand this persistence to copy/paste the same video and same marketing comparison and advantages regarding Asteroom.

✓ 24 Reasons Matterport Service Providers should Add Asteroom
✓ Asteroom Pay Per Tour Bundle for WGAN Forum Members-No Monthly Subscription
✓ Transcript: WGAN-TV Introduction to Asteroom with Founder and CEO Eric Tsai
✓ Free Course: Introduction to Asteroom with Founder and CEO Eric Tsai
✓ WGAN-TV: Introduction to Asteroom by Asteroom Founder & CEO Eric Tsai
✓ Five Asteroom specific excerpts from this lengthy article by TheRealDeal

And now this abstract of the same video, one more time.

I can imagine, and there is no issue with the fact those companies pay you for having their videos interviews and all the marketing coverage you make for them here. But, from my humble opinion, it would be great you mention, like it's common practice to do it in professional magazine or newsletters, that this article is sponsored by the company.
Now, if you tell me it's totally free of charge for Asteroom, then I think you have a crush on them :-).

For Eric:
Eric, I watched your video one more time and I was thinking about what you said and what could be a drawback of your offer if I would be a professional photographer who is considering your solution for producing virtual tours for my homeowners or real estate professionals clients.

I could pitch my question like this:
What could me my answer to the homeowner or the real estate pro if they ask me why they should pass by me to make their virtual tours while they can use directly your platform as it's fully automatic?
For the price a simple insta360 ONE X or Ricoh Theta V (not Z1 as it's expensive for people not in this field), they can shoot their property and upload everything to Asteroom and get the same result for a fraction of what I can charge them for the same result....

Thank you in advance, Eric, for your answer to make me confident your solution is a good choice for the professional photographers here.

Regards
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@priche

Thank you for your post and insight. And, thanks for reading the WGAN Forum and watching WGAN-TV Live at 5 show.

Regarding ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @priche
For Eric:
Eric, I watched your video one more time and I was thinking about what you said and what could be a drawback of your offer if I would be a professional photographer who is considering your solution for producing virtual tours for my homeowners or real estate professionals clients.

I could pitch my question like this:

What could me my answer to the homeowner or the real estate pro if they ask me why they should pass by me to make their virtual tours while they can use directly your platform as it's fully automatic?
For the price a simple insta360 ONE X or Ricoh Theta V (not Z1 as it's expensive for people not in this field), they can shoot their property and upload everything to Asteroom and get the same result for a fraction of what I can charge them for the same result....

Thank you in advance, Eric, for your answer to make me confident your solution is a good choice for the professional photographers here.

Yes. Asteroom is a super-easy virtual tour platform to learn. And, yes, that means that it is super-easy for real estate agents to learn too.

Of real estate agents interested in Asteroom - or for that matter, Matterport, EyeSpy360, Metareal Stage, Nodalview - to name a few of the 150+ 3D/360 virtual tour platforms - it's likely that half will want to engage a professional photographer. Plus, I could imagine that the WGAN Community would offer Asteroom as an Add On to photo shoots. (Yet something else that some real estate agents might also do.)

There's a great discussion today in the WGAN Forum on this topic:

Inman: "Are we witnessing the end of professional real estate photography?"

As @fotoguy concludes in that discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @fotoguy
I'm 60 now and everytime I've heard the sky is falling, it hasn't.

According to Zillow 3D Home executive, as found in this WGAN-TV Live at 5 interview:

Transcript: WGAN-TV How to Make Money with Zillow 3D Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Did you have any sense in your testing of what percentage of the agents would want to shoot it themselves versus want to engage a photographer to shoot a Zillow 3D Home tour?

- Yes we do, and it was about 50/50. This is in test markets, right, so it's in the specific cities with Premiere agents that we work with. I don't know if that's gonna be representative of the data now that it's available to everybody in the US and Canada, but we did that about half the agents were willing to do it themselves.

For real estate photographers that want something that is super-unlikely-that-a-real-estate-agent-would-do themselves, I suggest 3DVista Virtual Tour Pro Software. It's a super-powerful tool that has a steep learning curve.

The topic tomorrow (Thursday, 13 August 2020) on WGAN-TV Live at 5 is:

3DVista Virtual Tour Pro Software

My guest is professional real estate photographer Kevin Dole of Home3D.us in Los Angeles. Kevin will show bespoke tours that he created with 3DVista Virtual Tour Pro Software and give us a brief behind the scenes of 3DVista.

Regarding ..

Quote:
First of all, as I'm new here I would like just to be sure I understand the concept of WGAN.
At first, I thought it was a group to talk about MATTERPORT platforma and MATTERPORT users, but I have seen your group shifting to introduce all the other platforms out there that could make virtual tours for professionals photographers who want or are already selling virtual tours services.

The We Get Around Network Forum started out (19 August 2014) as the Matterport User Group Forum. We changed the name a couple years later to the We Get Around Network Forum reflecting that the Community was interested in Matterport competitors too.

MUG Forum Members/Visitors Want Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by @DanSmigrod
As I curate the MUG Forum and curate Matterport 3rd party solutions, I am trying to be sensitive to the needs of MUG Forum Members that own a Matterport Camera and Visitors that either own or are thinking about buying a Matterport Camera. So, I write about – and encourage others to write about – Matterport competitors.

But, is that a good idea?

The major of Matterport User Group Forum Members and Visitors want to read in the MUG Forum about competitive platforms to Matterport.

69.2 percent of MUG Members - and 50.2 percent of MUG Visitors responded YES to the MUG Forum Question of the Week during a 24 hour poll starting on 16 August 2016, "Should the Matterport User Group Forum continue to cover Matterport competitors?"

Thus, we encourage discussions on the 150+ 3D/360 virtual tour software/platforms and 50+ 3D/360 cameras.

Plus, most of us are professional real estate photographers: so we tend to looks through this lens when discussing 3D/360 software/platforms; 3D/360 cameras and 3rd Party Add Ons.

Quote:

If I'm not too far from the truth, then I am wondering why, Dan, you seems so much attracted by Asteroom ;-).
Of course, you are free to manage your group as you want, but I am just looking at this post and was thinking about it. It's nothing more than an abstract of the full video of Eric and you. And if I look at the newsletter email I receive every day, I doesn't pass a day without receiving a new post related to Asteroom.
Again, it's totally ok you do whatever you consider good for your group but I am just trying to understand this persistence to copy/paste the same video and same marketing comparison and advantages regarding Asteroom.

For Matterport Service Providers seeking a solution for doing virtual tours for listings in the $250,000 range, Asteroom is a great solution. For anyone research virtual tour platforms for real estate, Asteroom is a great solution.

Yes. I am excited about Asteroom. I reached out to Eric to be among our sponsors to enable the WGAN Forum to be free (for nearly everyone) and 50+ courses in the WGAN-TV Training U to be free.

We do edit the full show and parse out Story Stories in the WGAN Forum for those that will look at a 2-5 minute video on a specific topic from the full-show. Plus, I do often include related WGAN Forum topics in posts to help readers find related content.

And, while Asteroom is a Sponsor, I also have a crush on Asteroom.

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
San Francisco
EricTsai private msg quote post Address this user
@priche

Thanks for continuing to engage with the forum and me. I have no problem reading your long but insightful post. But forgive me, I just wasn't be able to respond to every point you wanted me to respond. I also want to apologize for the slightly heated conversation that we had the other day. The points your raised were valid. The team and I have been in discussion on how to not cause anymore confusion to our users.

To answer your question on why Asteroom is a good solution for photographers. I want to bring up two points
1. Majority of the listings do not have 3D tours.
2. Majority of the agents hire photographers for 2D photos

Agents will always be hiring professional photographers for 2D photos. If 15-20 minutes of the additional photographer's time for capturing an Asteroom tour is priced reasonably, why would most of the agents not outsource this to the photographers who are already onsite for the 2D photos anyway?

Yes there will be agents who don't even want to spend an additional $100 to outsource therefore choose to do this themselves, but keep in mind that compared to that group, there are so many of more of agents that are willing to spend $100 for Asteroom tours but not $300+ for Matterport tours.

The picture becomes even more clear when we can take a step back and look at what Matterport is doing with its scanning service. Obviously MP knows that majority of listings don't have Matterport scans because it's simply too expensive. Rather than cutting down the cost to produce 3D tours, Matterport now is trying to tell agents to order a Matterport scans directly from them for $300 , and just use the screen captures as 2D photos. Meanwhile - Asteroom is trying to enable photographers to compete with this offering with high quality 2D photos ($150) + Asteroom tour ($150) > $300 Matterport tours + screen captures used as suboptimal 2D photos.

Hope this helps
Post 4 IP   flag post
101436 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?