Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 761 Unique Visitors
9,055 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,838 Page Views | 19,122 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360Google Street ViewiSTAR PulsarPilot EraPilot OneVersus

Which 360 camera to create Google Street View "blue lines"?11371

DoraZ private msg quote post Address this user
HI!
I am interested in creating GSV blue lines and would like to purchase a 360 camera but have doubts what camera is the best for it.
Some of the cameras I am interested in:
- Insta 360 One X
- Insta 360 pro
- Pilot Era
Would like to hear reccomendations, pros and cons of usage.
What would i use it for? In my vicinity a lot of roads and city centres aren't mapped in blue lines, so I would go where there aren't any. Roads would be done by car, and cities by foot with a monopod in a backpack.
Because I have lack of experience in creating 360 panoramas, so far I prefer Pilot Era because it seems you open it, shoot with it and upload. Also, it has in-built gps which is very important for me, just don't know is it worth that money considering it is around 7 times more expensive than Insta 360 One X (they are of course not comparable at all things, but let's take just the price).
Thanks in advance for your answers.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I would use a Insta360 One X on jobs where I can damage it and the jobs are not paid for. And I would use a Pilot era on all commercial jobs.

Also look at Pilot One, it is much cheaper than Pilot Era but it should come with GSV too. It is using the same sensor(at least in resolution) as Pilot Era.

As for built in GPS, One X does not come with it. It takes location from a smartphone. It is super important to keep your phone away from yourself as your body will block satellites and you will get a loss in position. The only way to overcome it without sticking your phone away(and making it visible in your footage) is to use a stand alone bluetooth GPS(better GNSS) receiver that you can keep above you. If it is from a walking blue line and you keep your camera on a helmet may be stick the receiver to the helmet too. If it is for a car street view it is less important because your phone is in your car while your camera is on a car roof. As long as your phone is under windscreen it should still work with getting location data. Even through with a bluetooth receiver setup on a car roof you will get more accurate location data.

If you go with a Pilot Era it has built in GPS which sometimes also loses location data. Just no so often as Insta360 OneX.

Insta OneX on a helmet is not noticable in terms of weight. It is like you do not have anything mounted. Totally different if you mount a Pilot Era. It is 500g almost, so imagine carrying this weight on your head.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
BTW, you can do updates for the roads that have street view already so do not need to look only for those that have no street view at all.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thank you @Wingman for you answer!
Do you think there should be a problem that Pilot One doesn't have in-built GPS comparing to Pilot Era that has one?
I am afraid of losing the signal.
Talking about Insta One X, I have seen in many forums that people complained about losing the connection between mobile phone and camera, and that i want to avoid.
So that's why I am concerned about Pilot One, that the same thing would possibly happen.
In case I purchase Pilot (any of them), I wouldn't put it on the helmet, but would use backpack with a monopod, so maybe then it would be easier to carry it than on a helmet.
Now i am even more undecided
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman

Thank you - always - for your detailed and super-helpful posts for the WGAN Forum Community. Much, much, much appreciated.

@DoraZ

I could imagine that you have already viewed these WGAN Forum resources. I have included them here for those that are reading this discussion:

✓ All WGAN Forum discussions tagged: GSV | Pilot One | Insta360 One X
2020 is the year of Google Street View Blue Line Map Updates by Pros
GSV Pricing>NCTech iSTAR Pulsar versus Insta360 Pro 2 and Labpano Pilot Era
9 Rooftop Car Mounts for 360º Cameras for Google Street View
9 Tripods/Monopods to Consider for Your 360º 1-Click Camera
Transcript: Pilot One is a Contender for Real Estate Photographers

Based on your posts above - and this related WGAN Forum discussion that you started ...

How to extract geolocation data from 360 Google Street View panoramas?

... my initial recommendations for you:

1. Get started with either the Labpano Pilot Era or Labpano Pilot One (with GPS module) - For you, it is likely the super-easy workflow - camera directly to Google Street View - means this is the right camera for you. If you plan to shoot more than three hours a day, the Pilot Era is probably the better choice.

2. If this is for business capture - where accuracy is critical - and you will be doing a ton of blue-line map updates (and you need the location data), you might do a deeper dive researching the NCTech iSTAR Pulsar.

Since your end-game is creating Google Street View blue-lines - and a lot of them - a fast, simple and easy workflow is likely critical. Again, I could focus on solutions that enable you to publish to Google Street View directly - not uploading to a computer and then uploading to Google Street View. And, with as little additional steps as possible. This likely would eliminate the Insta360 One X + bluetooth GPS as @Wingman describes above.

---

Screen Grab: Labpano is presently accepting Pilot One pre-orders through the first week of March ($1,199 64GB | $1,249 128GB) with a free GPS module (valued at $129) with this link.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thank you @DanSmigrod!

So basically I shouldn't worry about the external gps module?
Do you have any experience or heard from someone how does the transfer to GSV work with Pilot One? Is it done automatically?
Considering I am only interested in making photos and video for Google Street View (for creating blue lines), and that I have seen that Pilot Era does all your work automatically, I was wondering if the Pilot One does that too?
So you just open the camera, shoot the video and upload it to GSV? Does it work for both the cameras?

1. I am most probably not goingto shoot for that long, so "smaller2 battery is not the problem.
2. I am not going to do blue line updates (at least not at the beginning), first I'll surely be doing new streets that are now without the blue lines, and later we'll see, but so far, NCtech is a few steps ahead me, because I am new at this.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@DoraZ

You're welcome.

I would not worry about the external GPS module for the Pilot One (which is built-in to the Pilot Era).

It is designed specifically for the Pilot One and specifically for making it super-easy to capture and publish to Google Maps.

I rarely accept offers to beta test cameras. I did for the Pilot One because I believe the workflow for adding blue-lines should be super-simple (which is what I am seeking).

Since I have not (yet) received the GPS module from Labpano Pilot One, I have not (yet) tried shooting Blue Lines to add to Google Maps.

That said, based on the super-easy and intuitive menu on the Pilot One, I would expect that the workflow for shooting with the Pilot One and publishing to Google Street View to be easy-peasy. It should feel like "it just works" experience. Extremely straight forward - eliminating many steps, for example, if you shot with an Insta360 One X.

Based on ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraZ
1. I am most probably not goingto shoot for that long, so "smaller2 battery is not the problem.
2. I am not going to do blue line updates (at least not at the beginning), first I'll surely be doing new streets that are now without the blue lines, and later we'll see, but so far, NCtech is a few steps ahead me, because I am new at this.

... I recommend the Labpano Pilot One - even though I have not shot with the GPS module yet. If you were doing more than three hours daily, I would recommend Labpano Pilot Era.

Availability of both units may have your decision.

Yes. NCTech iStar Pulsar is likely the solution that you eventually grow into, but start with the Pilot One.

Please let us know what you decide to do. And, please then share examples of your content created (and your impressions).

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod

I hope you recieve a GPS module soon, looking forward to hear about it.
Yes, that is the exact impression I got from Pilot cameras, that they are intuitive and easy to use, and that would be the biggest advantage over Insta One X.
I will surely get back to you when I decide, and post my work in a separate forum topic

Regards,
Dora
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Do you think there should be a problem that Pilot One doesn't have in-built GPS comparing to Pilot Era that has one?
I am afraid of losing the signal.

They are offering a GPS module for the Pilot One but it depends where its GPS antenna is. If they have built it in the camera (not the module) and the module just connects to it through a port then it is going to be as accurate as in their Pilot Era. Otherwise with the antenna sitting in the module the body of the camera will block access to some satellites above it and only satelites on sides of the camera will be visible.
But this is just my guess as it may be the same implementation in their Pilot Era which still works fine. Even though I believe the only right place for the antenna in their pilot era should be somewhere at the top of the camera. That will guarantee an access to all satellites above the camera and on sides of it.

Quote:
Talking about Insta One X, I have seen in many forums that people complained about losing the connection between mobile phone and camera, and that i want to avoid.

That's why I have advised you to keep a track when your phone is. I run into the same problem with my Insta360 OneX. I was recording a 2km walk path and I did everything to hide my phone from a camera field of view while it was sitting on my helmet. I was just keeping it close to my body.

When I came home and was trying to process it for GSV it failed because some frames were missing location data. It did not take much time to crack why as I only turn the camera recording with a smartphone app and then all the way were trying to keep the phone as close to my y body as possible to get it out of the camera view. That's when location data got screwed up as an access to most if not all satellites became blocked by my hand and my body at the same time.

If you do not repeat the same mistake and as a minimum keep your phone away from your body or as a maximum use a bluetooth GPS receiver sitting above you that should work just fine. It is not that the technology is wrong or working incorrectly, it is our actions that make it behave that way.
Post 9 IP   flag post
101740 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?