Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360360 CamerasMonopodPanoramasRicoh Theta Z1Tripod

What (Custom) Monopod I use for shooting 360° tours10875

WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
After reading the post regarding monopods for 360° shooting, I decided to spell out what I've found both quick and dependable. Most is off-the-shelf but I've added a simple custom piece that anyone can put together themselves. With this rig I can level perfectly and quickly on any surface, regardless of surface.

Everything here is available at either B&H Photo or Amazon. I hope this is helpful.

Post 1 IP   flag post
misho73 private msg quote post Address this user
@Home3D Very useful, thanks for sharing.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Home3D

Thanks SO much for documenting your gear; including labeling what each piece is.

I added your post to this WGAN Forum discussion:

9 Tripods/Monopods to Consider for Your 360º 1-Click Camera

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Home3D Do you recommend a specific power back and cable?
Post 4 IP   flag post
KeithMitchell private msg quote post Address this user
Cool. I need an expansion riser.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
@misho73 - There are so many power banks available nowadays, almost anything will work. Just get one which includes a USB port outputting at least 2.1amps and stores 20,000mAh of power or better.

Anker makes some good chargers. I see they have some new ones with "power delivery" which simply means you can charge the battery faster, which is good. Nice to have one which is fairly narrow so you can strap it to your monopod cleanly. Some options:

Anker PowerCore Speed 20000 Pd, 20100mAh Portable Charger & 30W Power Delivery Charger Bundle

Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD with 30W Power Delivery Charger, Portable Charger Bundle

These two come with a special 30w charging block which charges it faster than most. You can find some cheaper ones but on jobs sometimes charging speed can keep you shooting more, so I'd invest in this.

Both of these are fairly narrow, the first 2.5" wide and the second just 3". This helps to hide the block when strapped on the the base of the monopod. Any appropriate cable should work. I get a lot of cables at Monoprice.com which has unbeatable prices.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
@KeithMitchell - B&H sells the riser you see here which is tinted black. The same is sold on Amazon without the black coating. Either works fine as the camera can't see the riser.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Home3D thanks a ton. I just purchased the Anker makes
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Greenville, South Carolina
8643d private msg quote post Address this user
@Home3D I'm trying to find a level that will work, to add in between the monopod/selfie stick like you have done. I'm guessing you custom made yours? My monopod has a 1/4" screw so I wouldn't need the 3/8" hole or adapter. Any recommendations? Thank you
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
If yours has a 1/4" screw, then get a 2" diameter fender washer with a 1/4" hole. Here's the levels I bought on Amazon.

clickable text

There are also even smaller ones:

clickable text
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
@Home3D
Just what I was searching for. Thank you for the links!
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
@Home3D
What method do you use to attach the power bank to the monopod? I was thinking of getting some velcro straps, but didn’t know if you might have a better method. Thanks for your advice.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
@8643d - Nothing sophisticated here. I use whatever is handy. Most of the time I find the Z1 has enough charge onboard to shoot a 360 tour for a home unless it's really large. I carry Gorilla tape with me at all times, but velcro straps would be good.
Post 13 IP   flag post
101429 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?