Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,050 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MonopodTripod

Monopod vs Tripod for a heavy camera10789

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
While monopods whether they are cheap or expensive can work with a small & lightweight(may be under 200g) 360 degree cameras I cannot see how they can work with something heavy with bigger bodies like Pilot Era.

I have just got delivered this one https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=312758014288&_sacat=0

The quality is ok for what it has been designed for and it can be used as a handheld stick. However I would not use it as a monopod with my Pilot Era sitting on its top. The foot is small(it is the same size as on expensive monopods) and even without a camera it wobbles some time after you put it on a surface.

It is even less steady that my cheap(under $15AUD) stick with legs and it weighs under 300g. The Neewer one is about 500g.

On the cheap stick the span of the legs is 40cm while on the Neewer monopod it is only 23cm. With this footprint you may have troubles even on a tiny slope.

Putting extra weight at the bottom may help but I would guess it needs to be 2-3 times of your camera weight just to make sure it won't fall with a wind gust or due to gravity.

After looking at the following picture
I tried to use my Manfrotto 190CF and it worked.

I do not see much of the legs if I extend the middle pole and keep the legs as short as possible and collapsed a bit inwards. It may be just a Pilot Era as it is quite a wide camera but it is totally a good idea to check if your tripod works with your 360 camera. You will get something steady that won't wobble at all. It will be hard to knock down accidentally. You can also get an easy solution to level by controlling each leg length.

And since I got the Neewer monopod already I will just use the stick on top of my Manfrotto 190CF. This will allow the tripod to be used with all legs collapsed and raise the camera with the stick 100cm and even more above the legs. Also going to check soon if I can use the same stick in my car roof mount as a raiser. See attached picture with the stick sitting on the top of the Manfrotto 190CF.

So the point of this post, may be try first with your tripod instead of chasing some expensive monopods. You may like it as it is or at least the only thing you will need is a telescopic stick as a rasier above legs. These even in good quality can cost only $20-30 USD.

I do not know much about screw ports on other sticks but the one from Neewer is just a screw on on the Manfrotto 190CF.
Post 1 IP   flag post
bryanhscott private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman I absolutely agree! Exactly same tact I took on the issue.

I purchased an Insta360 One X (and their selfie-stick approx US $25) about 7 months ago, then about 3 mo later, replaced it with a Ricoh Theta Z1. I use the Insta selfie-stick on top of my small footprint (when legs not extended) SunPak Ultra 6000PG (about US$45). A similar Neewer might be even cheaper... Works great for shots up to about 60" off the floor. If I need higher, I will just add a 2nd short selfie, or buy a longer one for same tripod.

Unless I clamp on my external battery, the rig is extremely light-weight, but provides stability needed to be comfortable unhanding it and walking away for a shot. If I want/need to remove the bottom of the tripod from the shot, it's easily done in PS, but [frankly], seeing the legs at floor level, is just not a big deal and not worth the extra time to edit out (IMHO).
Post 2 IP   flag post
101628 2 2
This topic is archived. Start new topic?