Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360 CamerasBushman MonopodGearRicohRicoh Theta Stand TM1Ricoh Theta Z1Tripod

Ricoh theta gear9910

WGAN Standard
Greenville, South Carolina
8643d private msg quote post Address this user
I’m looking to buy a Theta Z1. What tripod/monopod would you recommend? Any other gear that I will be needing to purchase to produce Matterport/Zillow tours? What about the battery life on these cameras? This will be my first 360 camera purchase. I currently run a Matterport Pro2 camera on a Manfrotto 290xtra.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I am using this one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/142979375138

It is super lightweight though and you may need to wait a few seconds before you place a tripod on a spot and until you can take a shot. The last telescopic leg is quite thin, Z1 is quite heavy and it may shake a bit after tropod movements until it settles.

Also sometimes it is hard to use it on a surface that is not leveled. The weight of the camera cannot be balanced by the weight of the tripod bottom weight and the whole setup starts falling. This can be easily fixed if you add some weight to the bottom of the tripod.

Do you want to buy a Z1 just for using it with Matterport or you want to use it for standalone GSV tours too?
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
@Wingman
I am not too familiar with GSV yet, definitely would love to explore all of the z1’s opportunities though. Thanks for sharing
Post 3 IP   flag post
VisualKusuma private msg quote post Address this user
We use insta360 one X invisible stick combined with manfrotto MTPIXI series for the tripod. It's sturdy enough to carry Z1
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8643d
I am not too familiar with GSV yet, definitely would love to explore all of the z1’s opportunities though. Thanks for sharing

Then I guess you can try the one I am using. Shaking often happens because of a wind and there is no wind inside.
Also there is nothing cheaper or long enough in a monopod form. I believe Ricoh offers a heavier version of a monopod but I have seen prices for it as high as $300. IMHO, it is just a ridiculous price for what it is.

As for using Z1 for GSV it has some really worrying problems with location written to panorama metadata. Without location written precisely exactly as it is coming from a smartphone you control it with this camera will consume a lot of your time working with GSV.

If Ricoh finds out about this problem and fix it that would be the best camera for GSV under $1000. I am working with another user on making Ricoh aware through their community forum but it will definitely take so time to reach them and make them listen.
Yesterday we got a tech guy who has a contact with Ricoh and moderates community.theta360.guide involved in discussing the problem. I hope with his help we can make it faster.

Personally I would not use my Z1 for Matterport tours but only because I own their top Pro2 model. Z1 loses in resolution to Pro2 a lot.

If you do not want to invest in their cameras a Z1 probably would do a decent job with Matterport. Just make sure you understand Matterport new plans as it takes a few reads and a discussion about them to get an idea what you can/cannot do under each plan.

And before you go with Matterport cameras have a look at their competitor GeoCV. I think considering that Matterport is much older than GeoCV with Matterport being a few years ahead of GeoCV GeoCV already beats Matterport in many areas and in my opinion has more potential to be expanded with very useful features.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualKusuma
We use insta360 one X invisible stick combined with manfrotto MTPIXI series for the tripod. It's sturdy enough to carry Z1

How do you deal with the legs of the tripod being captured? They are quite big and may be hard to patch or cover with a logo.

I was thinking about using my manfrotto but looking at the footprint of the legs extended in full from the centre I realised it would bring a lot of problems.

It is like my idea to take pictures from a camera mounted on a helmet. Until I actually made one I had no idea how much a of helmet I would be capturing.

After I built it and saw it I dropped the idea to use the camera with the helmet. I found later that I could reduce a helmet footprint at nadir by using an extension rod to raise a camera extra 10-15cm above the helmet. However still need to make/buy a suitable extension rod to see if it really helps and usable or not.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@8643d

Please see this WGAN Forum discussion:

Video: The Best Monopod/Tripod for 360 Cameras

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@8643d

To save $$$$ on the Ricoh Theta Z1, watch this Matterport Webinar video to get a promo code emailed to you:

Matterport Webinar for Pro Photographers | Tuesday, 30 July 2019

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@8643d @Wingman

Please see this WGAN Forum discussion about a logo patch to cover the tripod/monopod:

Free Nadir Logo Patch to Replace Tripod View

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@8643d

To save $$$$ on the Ricoh Theta Z1, watch this Matterport Webinar video to get a promo code emailed to you:

Matterport Webinar for Pro Photographers | Tuesday, 30 July 2019

Dan

Awesome, Thanks Dan. I found your gear kit for 360 1 click cameras, good stuff. 360 1 click camera gear
Post 10 IP   flag post
101432 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?