Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,031 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3603D ModelingAdviceCapture AppCortexGearMatterport MatterPakMuseumsRicoh Theta Z1

3D Capture and software questions9748

newengland3d private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everyone.

Working with a client that has a museum. This museum is full of various pieces of equipment - tanks, planes, cars, etc.

Client wants to capture exteriors and interiors of all of the various pieces of equipment and incorporate the 3D data into an interactive display in front of each piece where museum visitors can rotate the 3D model on the screen and then see what the inside look like.

As an MSP, I currently have a Matterport Pro2. This is not the best solution for the interiors of the units. Theta Z1? But that requires processing the 360 in Matterport's Cortex to get the XYZ & OBJ files? Seems there is a way better solution, I just don't know what it is.

Thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Intriguing challenge. Here's my armchair analysis.

Inside these vehicles I'm guessing is pretty cramped. If a single 360° pano would be enough for the inside then it's simple. But I suppose these are designed for a small crew so there IS room to move around and a 3D interior model is desired. Cortex would be good if it works. Based on my few experiements, I have my doubts. I expect Cortex leans on logical "architectural" flat vertical and horizontal surfaces to function, which are less likely inside these things where surfaces are physically so close that alignment errors may be many. Better run a test.

One benefit of a Z1 or Insta360 as camera is the 360° view is complete, including straight up and down. Very nice for this kind of exhibit. Matterport and GeoCV can't look straight up and down. However, if the insides are big enough for a crew to squeeze in, I'd experiment, probably shooting with MP or GeoCV and scanning lots of positions in close, small moves. Probably most of the interesting stuff is horizontal rather than vertical so it could work.

GeoCV camera is a little smaller than Matterport which could be helpful, but not a game-changer. GeoCV has the distinct advantage of permitting you to download, process, Photoshop and otherwise manipulate the panos, then re-upload them. So you can do tweaking if you wish, definitely a game-changer for some applications. Not sure if it's helpful to yours.

Your issue is so unique and interesting that I poked around the internet for papers on "spherical panoramic photogrammetry" which would really be helpful. Smells like this is still in its infancy as the mathematics are complex both to extract data from the sphericals as well as assemble it into modeling. My head spins.

I'm interested to learn from others hopefully smarter than me.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
We contributed to this project of the Seattle Museum of Flight: https://museumofflight.org/vr

if you check out their video, it explains how we used a combination of 360 photos (professionally done by a 360 photographer), MP and Intuiface to create tablet sized interactive experiences.

I think @home3D explained in detail the pros / cons of each capturing solution. Once you have the MP tours, you can feature them as part of a more sophisticated UI experience using an authoring tool such Intuiface, or coding it in HTML. I like Intuiface as it's fairly intuitive. Here is a recent prototype I did that blends MP with a custom UI:

Post 3 IP   flag post
Thank you Home3D & Tosolini for your feed back.

I have experimented with the Pro2, which is great for the exteriors and larger interior spaces. The small tiny cramped spaces of the interiors will definitely benefit from using the Z1. It will be interesting to see if Cortex can "figure it out". I like that the Z1 doesn't have a "blind spot". That is good to know. I haven't played with one yet. That will be a piece of equipment I purchase for this project.

The other thought process is to capture with Pro2 (exteriors) and Z1 (interiors), use Cortex to get the processing completed. Find a solution that will allow isolation of the specific model in the obj/point cloud and export that models complete obj/point cloud info into another program that would allow for interactive experience of the exterior and interior.

I will study all of your recommendations.
I will also provide on-going feedback on the solution so we may all benefit.
Your input is greatly appreciated.
Post 4 IP   flag post
3SixtyNow private msg quote post Address this user
I believe you can't get XYZ & OBJ files from a standard 360 camera because there is no 3D data being recorded.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SixtyNow
I believe you can't get XYZ & OBJ files from a standard 360 camera because there is no 3D data being recorded.

I was wondering about that... If Matterport's Cortex converts the Theta Z1 360 image using Photogrammetry, would it not generate the info?

Might have to get creative with the Pro2 to capture interior info then... This guy isn't shelling out for a Leica BLK360 just yet...
Post 6 IP   flag post
3DVirtuallyThere private msg quote post Address this user
You could consider scanning at night with multiple LED panels.

Mount 3 portable 30W panels (2500 lumens)on the tripod. That's 7,500 lumens that lights up a 20ft x 20 ft space.

For background lighting use say four 120W fixtures with a long good for the glare, which each fixture at 12K lumens that would light up an exterior building 120ft by 120 ft/48,000 lumens like daylight.

You could buy them on Alibaba.

I just bought 3 panels for my tripod. Going to use them for fill lighting during the day. I could use them for twilight shoots.

I look forward to use those 30W soon.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
When I shoot MP in very dark spaces, I simply mount a battery-powered LED panel on top of the MP camera. As the camera rotates, so does the light. The panels I've been using aren't so powerful but they cost less than $50 and have worked wonderfully. I shot an LA spa called Shape House ("urban sweat lodge" this way. The sweat beds areas are really dark but these worked great.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I tried a film development room lats month with only red lights on. Not good quality with very grainy pictures. My client was aware it's not going to look good.

I am uploading all spaces for this client to Matterport now and I will share a link to that space with the dark room when it's ready.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Here is a link to the model with the film development room captured.
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=GAxrzxDq2js

This space is big so to get to that room straight away just switch to the floor plan view and you will see a dark space in the middle. It is actually not so grainy in pictures quality as it has looked in scans.
Post 10 IP   flag post
101421 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?