Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DroneNo Fly ZoneNodal NinjaPoleSelfie Pole

How to use a pole for an "aerial" shot in lieu of a Drone or No Fly Zone9046

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @VTLV
...I was watching Rich Baums Perfect Pole Video last night thinking my old Crop sensor wouldn't do this without a Cam Ranger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @JonJ
I shoot almost all of the properties that I photograph using a pole. I always take 3 photos of each property (left, center and right) using a pole. If find that using a pole reduces the amount of geometric distortion that is created when straightening verticals. Using a pole is much faster than pulling out the drone and you can shoot HDR with a much higher quality lens. I do not use a Cam Ranger. I just set my timer to 10 seconds and throw the pole into the air. It is a blind shot, and takes some practice, but I can get some great results even shooting at 20+feet in the air.

This could be a nice alternative for Canon users surrounded by airports unable to fly drones "legally" or backup for other reasons.

Above from this WGAN Forum discussion.

Hi All,

Not yet a drone photographer, but still need an "aerial" shot of a house for sale?

Are you a drone pilot with a project in a No Fly Zone?

Pole + DSRL may be your solution.

Your thoughts?

Best,

Dan

P.S. WGAN Member Nodal Ninja has a 30 percent sale on select carbon fiber poles (9-30 feet) now through this Sunday, 7 April 2019. Private Message me for the Nodal Ninja Promo Code.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Matt19 private msg quote post Address this user
Makes a lot of sense to me if you can't fly a drone!
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Nodal Ninja's Quick Mount Mini Adapter System - Switch Panorama Photography Equipment Quickly

Hi All,

How do you connect your DSLR to a pole? With this geeky quick mount mini adapter from WGAN Member, Nodal Ninja (@Bill).

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I cannot see how you can picture something big with a pole.

May be a better solution is to buy a tethering system or a drone that already comes with it.

Tethering systems are usually a quite simple device but I know some company that asks $10 000. It comes with supplying power for a drone though so you can stay in the air for hours.

But I have seen a relatively inexpensive drone that comes with it. Try youtube to find it. I cannot recall though what camera it has on its board.

If you have a partner there is no problem to just hold a drone by a rope attached to it.

Tethering will eliminate fly offs but there is still other aviation rules for drones you may be breaking even it you tie your drone to a ground.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Longest INVISIBLE Pole for Insta360 One R & GoPro MAX - #270Pro Backpack S Review & Tutorial | Video by CreatorUp YouTube Channel | 6 July 2020
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: LONGEST & AFFORDABLE Selfie Pole + Microphone in 2021 - 270Pro vs TELESIN for Insta360 ONE X2 GoPro | Video courtesy of CreatorUp YouTube Channel | 16 January 2021

From CreatorUp YouTube Channel:

0:00 - 360° video shot on Insta360 ONE X2 + Telesin Carbon Fiber
2:01 - TELESIN Ultra Light no bending Carbon Fiber 2.7M Selfie Stick REVIEW
2:40 - 270Pro Backpack S vs TELESIN 3-meter MK II
3:01 - 😱TELESIN 2.7M cost: $39.99!!
3:28 - Unbox TELESIN Carbon Fiber 2.7M pole
3:46 - Why 270Pro is BETTER for GoPro Hero 9 GoPro MAX or ONE R?
4:32 - Best pole for Insta360 ONE X2 or Qoocam 8K vs GoPro MAX or Insta360 One R
7:40 - Virtual Tour setup with Bushman weights
8:09 - Audio solution for Insta360 ONE X2 with a long pole
8:37 - LONGEST wired lavalier microphone - TELESIN collar clip mic review
8:48 - CYNOVA Dual 3.5mm USB-C Adapter + @SmallRig Utility Frame for Insta360 ONE X2
11:21 - Wireless microphone solution
12:08 - Topaz Labs Video Enhance AI for 360 Video

Source: CreatorUp YouTube Channel
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: 8 Easy Extended Selfie Stick Shots and how to easily edit them in the insta360 app | Video courtesy of Eat Sleep 360 | 2 February 2021

Telesin 3m extended selfie stick

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
I use my Insta 360 Extended Selfie Stick all the time for elevated shots, mostly with the Z1 for better resolution. What’s especially great is the Z1’s mode called “Handheld HDR”. Regular HDR requires camera to be absolutely still, on a tripod. Handheld somehow allows for small movement without getting blur or ghosting. Very cool. (only for still photos)

This get’s pano’s about 15’ in the air which look like low—level drone work.

MOST of the shots in this video, below, were recorded on the Insta360 One X shooting in 360° video on this pole. Then the angles of view were key-framed in the Insta360 Studio app, exported as HD video. It’s pretty miraculous what you can capture with this rig. You can occasionally see shadows from the pole and camera, but it’s so small it’s not obtrusive.

Part of the magic was being able to get both high POV and extreme close action, in the same shot, of a crew as they worked. I never had to interrupt or distract them from what they were doing. This created very dynamic movement and more visual excitement than any other way I could think to shoot. And the entire production crew was just me alone (budget of course!)

Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Home3D

WOW! That's am AMAZING VIDEO.

Thanks for sharing your techniques for using an extended pole to create aerial video.

Cool!

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
GoPro Hero works well on a poll getting 3 story homes and condos built on top of each other or in poor weather conditions in no fly zones.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
CREATIVELY Enjoy One Shot 360 with Unique 3 Meters SELFIE STICK STYLE | Video courtesy of Yuqing Guo YouTube Channel | 25 April 2021

Video: How to create two fake drone shots with a Long Selfie-Stick

From the Yuqing Guo YouTube Channel:

3 Meters Long Selfie Stick is really fun to play with especially it is compact in your everyday life. In this video you will learn some really nice shooting style for your one shot 360 camera.
🔥 Fake Drone Shot
🔥 Probe Effect
🔥 FPV Drone Effect
🔥 Unique POV Photo
🔥 Super Selfie POV

Source: Yuqing Guo YouTube Channel

Buy Insta360 Extended Selfie Stick ($73.49 via Amazon)

WGAN Forum Related Discussions

How to use a pole for an "aerial" shot in lieu of a Drone or No Fly Zone

Best,

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: 360 Effects On A Giant Selfie Stick | Video courtesy of Ben Claremont YouTube Channel | 27 June 2021

--

Save 15 percent with this WGAN affiliate link for Virtual Tour Pro course by Ben Claremont and WGAN Coupon Code: WGANVTP
Post 12 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
I'm 6 ft tall, with my arm extended it's about 8 ft. Add a fully extended tripod you're at about 14 ft. Set timer to 10 seconds, extend tripod, extend arm. Bracketed mirrorless shots at 14 ft with no pole, drone or other contraption.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Expertise

Can you post an example?

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
@Home3D that was amazing.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Here's another way to use a Z1 on a pole. Set the Z1 for "handheld HDR" and use it to get an elevated "360" in a Matterport space. Yes, it works this way.

I wish we could add drone panos to Matterport tours, the way GeoCV made possible, but this is at least a mini-aerial.

Post 16 IP   flag post
Expertise private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmm. That's clever. You wouldn't really need a Z1, image quality should be fine with a Theta V. Unless it's backlit
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Insta360 ONE X2 + Extended Selfie Stick Creative 360 Camera Shots In London | video courtesy of Best360 YouTube Channel | 20 August 2021
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Are You Still Searching For The Best Super Long Invisible Selfie Stick? | Video courtesy of Eat Sleep 360 YouTube Channel | 16 November 2021
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: 10 FAKE DRONE Shots with a SMARTPHONE | Mobile Filmmaking Tips For Beginners | Video courtesy of Learn Online Video YouTube Channel | 26 November 2021
Post 20 IP   flag post
101429 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?