Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BLK360Matterport MatterPak

Leica BLK360 + Matterport Questions from a WGAN-TV Viewer8788

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
WGAN-TV Leica Geosystems BLK360 Mashup with Matterport: 1st Look with @Metroplex360 Chris Hickman

Hi All,

I noticed these questions posted to this WGAN-TV show on the We Get Around Network YouTube Channel.

---

Hi Guys, I am a little late in the game to the video but it has answered many of my questions.

I am not sure if you are going to get this however my questions are

1. I am planning on capturing sports fields with stands. How far can you be with the capture app for the BLK to send the images to you when you get out of the picture/hide?

2. If the data is stored on the BLK and you do not use the capture app, if you push the button aren't you going to be in the picture?

3. How many BLK scans can Matterport support in one image?

4. Can we download from the BLK after you are done with the imaging to Matterport and Recap later?

5. Can you copy the same image into Recap and Matterport? Do you need Recap or can you send it to someone who does? How do you send the file? The I cloud data is the most important information if you are going after Architects and Engineers, plus you can give them pictures as well.

I have sent Matterpac files to architects and engineers and they cannot use it for drawings. Would sending the BLK file to their Autodesk Recap file be best or would you still want to use Matterpac if the data from the BLK is better than the PRo2?

5. How do you upload the images from the BLK to Matterport and ReCap after you are completed not using the Matterport capture app.

6. If I sent these images to Recap is that all an engineer or architect would require to use it on their Autocad?

---

Thanks in advance for answering these questions.

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

These answers are provided by @MikeChawaga Robotic Imaging Group (affiliate link)

1. How far can you be with the capture app for the BLK to send the images to you when you get out of the picture/hide?
- If you can see the Leica BLK red logo, the data cannot capture you. You want to keep the capture app opened and under or attached to the stand.

2. If the data is stored on the BLK and you do not use the capture app, if you push the button aren't you going to be in the picture?
- If you can see the red Leica logo you are safe
- 1st Spin) Detects light to determine use of flash or not. Only spin where you do not need to move.
- 2nd Spin) Captures HDR Imaging (need minimum of HDR 3 for AEC use cases)
- 3rd Spin) Captures Point Cloud

- We have captured 100+ BLK Leica scans in MP models. BLK scans are heavier and will take longer to load MP models. BLK and MP scans are always separate, but combined if that makes sense.

4. Can we download from the BLK after you are done with the imaging to Matterport and Recap later?
- Yes, the beauty of the BLK is that it stores ALL the data whether you are using RECAP, MP or just pressing the button on BLK. You can be extract, back-up or share data. On-site scanning can be press of the button and registration with Leica Register 360 is what we prefer, especially for large industrial and open/redundant spaces.

5. Can you copy the same image into Recap and Matterport? Do you need Recap or can you send it to someone who does? How do you send the file?
- You can not copy Recap and Matterport data from what I understand. Chris Hickman may be able to answer this.
- You can dropbox raw BLK “setup” data to someone with Recap or Register 360 for manual/more accurate registration with reporting. Exports from Recap .RCP .RCS can be used in Autodesk products (Revit, CAD) as a reference file for in-house modeling. Exports from Leica Register 360 is .PTS, .e57 which can also be imported to Autodesk products

5. How do you upload the images from the BLK to Matterport and ReCap after you are completed not using the Matterport capture app.
- All of this is automated.

6. If I sent these images to Recap is that all an engineer or architect would require to use it on their Autocad?
- Training is essential for architects and engineers to model from this data. You can convert the data through modeling companies to get into more usable format

---

When you buy a Leica BLK360 using the Robotic Imaging Group affiliate link for @MikeChawaga ... you receive - free - the first 12 months of WGAN Standard Membership.

-----

best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
About the 1st one: The distance from a camera is also a problem with Matterport Pro2 at least. We were doing some outdoor scans a few weeks ago and I noticed that being just 15 meters and hiding behind a small bush brought some problems with staying connected to a camera. Unfortunately in some cases we had to change scans positions because of that.

You cannot hide & walk behind a camera outdoor because there is a shadow of you being captured as well. So walking behind a camera while it rotates is not a solution.

It actually a big problem with outdoor spaces that are very big. I cannot imagine how people can scan something like a soccer field or a golf club.

I guess leaving your Ipad near(on top) the camera and running away seems to be the only option :-)
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman - If possible, capture at midday when the sun is directly overhead -- or during the golden hour where everything is illuminated, but no shadows are cast (and the Pro-1 and Pro-2 can align due to no direct sunlight).

A couple of my own comments:

1. How far can you be with the capture app for the BLK to send the images to you when you get out of the picture/hide?

My A: Turn up your iPad volume and leave the iPad under your tripod

RUN! The first rotation doesn't capture you -- the second one is pretty darn slow. Leave your iPad behind and make a break for it

From what I understand, it does have more to do with the total scans. I do notice Showcase seems a bit more sluggish with BLK scans -- not entirely sure why (last time It has more to do with the total mesh size. Matterport Spaces

It's a pain in the butt. You can use the BLK360 Data Manager to transfer directly to your computer, but you'll end up with .BLK files that can only be read with Cyclone or Register360.

https://lasers.leica-geosystems.com/software/blk360-data-manager-utility

Otherwise, yup, you'll need to load it into Recap and export from there as E57. I've heard that you get derivative imagery in doing this. I've never done it.

5. Can you copy the same image into Recap and Matterport? Do you need Recap or can you send it to someone who does? How do you send the file?
> You can not copy Recap and Matterport data from what I understand. Chris Hickman may be able to answer this.

From what I understand, if you scan with HDR0 or HDR3, you can import the same imagery into Recap and export it -- however, Matterport do apply their own filters to the panoramic imagery, so it will not look the same.

You cannot align BLK360 scans ("register" BLK360 "setups" at a later time with Matterport Capture. It's a feature that has been requested. This means, you MUST be connected to Capture when the individual scan ("setup" completes so that it automatically transfers and registers (aligns) in Capture. It would be WONDERFUL if you could import later, but either Matterport hasn't added this feature, or it's impossible to generate the derivative scaled down version of the scan at a later time and import it. I'm not sure.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
RUN! The first rotation doesn't capture you -- the second one is pretty darn slow. Leave your iPad behind and make a break for it

HaHa! Must be a better solution to run, hide and seek!

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
101438 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?