Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 761 Unique Visitors
9,055 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,838 Page Views | 19,122 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AutosCarCortexDollhouse ViewHigh CeilingsTipsTripod

Matterport Doll house details problem8697

ahojman private msg quote post Address this user
We are doing this Citroen DS Shop Matterport Tour, and we were asked to improve the quality of the doll house picture.

As you can see, the cars are missing their roofs for example.

What can we do?
I put the camera in a little bit higher position adjusting the tripod, but no significant changes.

Any other idea?

Link:

Thanks in advance,

Alejandro
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@ahojman

Matterport will have trouble scanning all black, shinny surfaces. I would still recommend trying with the Matterport Camera higher so that it can "see" the top of the cars. You can always hide these scans in Matterport Workshop. (When you hide these scans, they still contribute to the dollhouse view, but you can not "stand" on that scan.)

@MikeChawaga

Would a Leica BLK360 – elevated – solve this puzzle?

Best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
CharlesHH private msg quote post Address this user
Hi
I am fairly new at this game but I can see loads of gaps in the dollhouse AND on the floorplan. You need way more scans, there are lots of black holes in the floor plan, and you probably need to get the tripod up to about 10 - 12 foot (3-4m) so it really looks down on the car roofs. All the extra scans will give you a good dollhouse and floorplan. You can then 'hide' all the high scan points and the regular ones that you don't need, to give the good walk through. Best advice that I have had so far is that you can never have too many scans! Good luck.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Here's another trick. Ask the dealer's permission to use this, but it does no harm to the car, so they should understand.

Choose a car whose roof is disappearing. Spray the top of the car with a fine mist. Work with the dealer to select: water may work if very fine sprayer so no "drops" appear, just a "fogged" look, or maybe some other harmless substance - need to test - like a spray polish. Ask the dealer's car-prep department. Anything which temporarily produces a "fogged" look will eliminate the reflection, allowing the MP IR sensors to "see" the surface as solid instead of as a mirror.

Get the camera high beside a car and scan! Voila! Clean off the car and move to next.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Not sure if they will allow us to do that, but it was an interesting answer.
Thanks!
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
If you think about how you can "fog" a pair of glasses by breathing on them, this is what you need to accomplish. Years ago I made TV commercials for Lego, toys and dolls. When photographing the little plastic faces, they were shiny plastic which was unattractive in macro close-up. So we used "plumbers putty" which we lightly dabbed on them to hide the reflective shine. After shooting, it just wiped off. I'm sure there is something equivalent that the dealer's car prep team can approve as harmless.
Post 6 IP   flag post

Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Dan, isn’t this sort of situation ideal for using MP Capture 3 with a Theta V using Cortex? There should be enough scans for the Cortex engine to align to and since these extra scans lack infrared, I’d think that would fill in the holes.

Which raises a major request for MP - to make it possible to port a set of scans from Capture 2 to Capture 3 in order to solve this problem. Since both use the traditional MP camera the initial data is obviously there to accomplish this, though I’m sure it would require MP engineers to open a new import window to Capture 3.

Maybe our discussion here will encourage MP to consider this. I personally look forward to the day I can (safely, dependably) use Capture 3 on my main iPad Pro instead of shooting Cap3 from my iPhone.

Do you think the MP team is watching this thread??
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home3D
Dan, isn’t this sort of situation ideal for using MP Capture 3 with a Theta V using Cortex? There should be enough scans for the Cortex engine to align to and since these extra scans lack infrared, I’d think that would fill in the holes.

Yes. Great solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home3D
Do you think the MP team is watching this thread??

Yes. Matterport reads every word of the WGAN Forum

Best,

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
Second attempt (using high tripod)

Post 10 IP   flag post
Tomorrow we will try with fine sprayer (fog trick)
Post 11 IP   flag post
Dollhouse looks more like a breakers yard! Looking at the scans, there are several taken with bright sunlight pouring in, others taken at night with spotlights. Maybe worth rescanning completely when the sun is round the other side of the building. Interested to hear result of fog trick.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@CharlesHH ,

As you can read above, we will hide all the "high photos" that we took during the day with the extended tripod. All the photos of the tour will be at night.
That is why we did not give importance to the movement of the camera at 4m or the sunlight or the people working at the place.
The only reason to take the "high photos" was to have the roof of the cars shown.

Do you understand?

Sorry for my poor English...
Post 13 IP   flag post
@ahojman
I understand perfectly. I am fairly new at this. But when I took the tour, I did see the sunny day views as well.
I had experience on one of my first shoots where direct sunshine had a major bad effect on the results. The camera picks up the infra-red. It could be affecting your result. There are better experts here but I would definitely try rescanning high and low at the same time of day.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@CharlesHH

I am sure you did not understand. Don't worry.
We will not spend one minute hiding all the high photos if we have to process the tour again. We are only working to improve the result of the doll house view.

We will share you the final result for you to understand us in a couple of days.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I am not sure if somebody has mentioned it already but have you tried mark cars as mirrors and see if it helps with improving dollhouse quality?
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Wingman ,

Thanks for your idea. I was not sure if Matterport considers always mirrors in vertical position or not.
But we did not try that.

Yesterday we tried with @Home3D idea (water fog). Same result. No improvement.
Today we tried with some towels in the roof of each car. We are processing them now.

I am not sure if it is useful to add mirrors after scanning (now). Can we do that?

Thanks to everybody for your help and ideas.
Post 17 IP   flag post
A good stupid way I never used before to work and check individual pictures, was to create another floor.
I moved that specific photo to the "test floor".
Checked there only that photo.
And then returned the photo to the original floor.

I don't know if my description was clear.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Wingman ,

Adding mirrors caused this.

Post 19 IP   flag post
White towels test

Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahojman
@Wingman ,

Adding mirrors caused this.

That was definitely not a good idea.

May be try to reach Matterport for an advice. That all does not look good for your job or any similar jobs that others may be asked to do.

There should be some solution to it or Matterport must develop it asap so MSPs never run into something like this.
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ahojman

Would your client be okay with you disabling dollhouse view? You can do that in Matterport Workshop.

Dan
Post 22 IP   flag post
Thank you, Dan.
Unfortunately disabling was not an option.

Final result was not perfect:

If anybody has to do something like this:
1) Do not use cars with black reflective roof
2) Take higher level pictures to dirty cars at same position. Then clean them.
Post 23 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I actually think it is not that bad now. If your client is still concerned with some artifacts shown I think Dan's advice to disable a dollhouse view can be the best way to make it better.

BTW, I have never run into a setting where you can disable a dollhouse view in the Matterport cloud. Now at least I know it is there somewhere so it won't be a problem to find when needed.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@ahojman Why is the non-reflective painted black wall missing in your dollhouse?

I'm pretty impressed by how hard you have worked on this.

@Home3D is correct -- using Cortex to convert 360 Views into 2D->3D conversions will help. I've had great success at using Cortex to fix holes in floors caused by direct sunlight.

@DanSmigrod - The BLK360 does the exact same thing as Matterport with reflective black surfaces.

Overall, Cortex works best -- but perhaps black trash bags (instead of white towels) are the solution
Post 25 IP   flag post
Hi. You seem to be almost there. Well done. Is there not a fabric that you can get to lie almost perfectly flat on the car roof?

Another comment I would make is that your mattertags keep taking the viewer to an external website. Maybe better to put top features of the car as text or photo plus text in the mattertag. This will keep the viewer IN the tour. Keep the link at the bottom but try and give enough info to keep them in tour.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@CharlesHH ,

First answer should be "yes, but no". We did not want to buy something expensive only for one use. We needed for example heavy weight black mats or something similar, and of course he had to cut them with the shape of the roof of the car (you cannot fold them, because it is visible then at the dollhouse view). And nobody will pay that then, so it was a balance between time, money and quality.

Second issue: you are right, but they need to sell cars, not to show a very nice tour. Don't know if I am clear. We are not selling the virtual tour, we are selling how many new contacts we get. If the buyer of a car could not visit the hole tour it doesn't matter. I am not good to explain this, I understand what you wrote, but the goal of the tour is not visual. You must start watching the tour and end chating with them.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@Wingman ,
Disabling the dollhouse is very easy. It has a button we never touched in the first view at the workflow.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@ahojman I am following this thread with interest as I would also like to do a car showroom.
Is the colour important. I think that you have used black. Could I use a soft black textile?

I understand re contacts. Can you see how many times someone clicks on a mattertag and goes to the main site?
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Metroplex360

Thanks for wour comments.

1) We removed the non-reflective black wall. Not a problem. I always prefer to remove walls if you are not showing a house.

2) I need to learn how to use Cortex. Any help? Where can I start?

3) We used black and very cheap cloth called "fliselina" or "friselina" here in Spanish at the last try.

Now I know there are different weight of friselina, perhaps one heavier would be better. We also had the possibility to combine it with water fog.
Post 30 IP   flag post
101742 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?