Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Chief ArchitectSketchUpVersus

Chief Architect vs Sketchup8087

Standard
Sarasota, Florida
BlueImmersiveMedia private msg quote post Address this user
Can anyone give insight on which they use and why? There is a big price difference, yet they appear similar.

Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
Chief Architect is an architectural drafting application, much more similar to Revit, AutoCad, ArchiCad etc.

SketchUp is a basic 3d modeling application. Very easy to get started with if you are new to 3D, but also very easy to create poor geometry if you don't know what you are doing.

I create 3D visualizations based on designs from architects, interior architects etc. Those designs can range from simple floor plans, to complete BIM models.

When working with Sketchup files that my clients provide, more often then not, I just remodel the entire property, because it is faster compared to fixing up the many issues I encounter with those models. (I've posted about the basics of 3d modeling over here if you are interested on reading up on the topic. It's the post with the floor plan embedded in to it.)

That doesn't mean SketchUp is a terrible program. When used properly, you can create some amazing things with it. Depending on what you are trying to achieve, their may be better options out there though.

If you are seriously looking in to applications like this, the question you should ask is: What am I trying to achieve with it? And what is the best tool for the job.

For example: An interior designer might be fine with Sketchup to showcase a bedroom with a specific color scheme in mind, while somebody who creates plans for city approvals will need a "proper" CAD program which makes it very easy to draft a wall with a specific composite.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Portland, Oregon
HelloPado private msg quote post Address this user
When I first discovered SketchUp in 2007 I was blown away. I had spent several years learning to use AutoCad in High School and College and found that it is not intuitive at all. I never spent much time with it professionally so Dannys information above should be useful for that perspective.

I have used SketchUp professionally for a multitude of 2D and 3D projects and has proven invaluable. It is intuitive but has its own learning curve for sure.

Are you looking for a 2D drafting tool, a 3D modeler or looking to take advantage of the .obj scan data from MP?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Standard
Sarasota, Florida
@HelloPado Yes, im looking to work with the files provided by either the .obj or other files provided by my engineer.

I have a contractor friend who uses Chief Architect. And, I understand why from his standpoint. So I was trying to make a purchase choice with the consideration that he and I would be working together on projects.

I have since installed Sketchup Trial version. I do think it will be enough for what I need. And... now to ramp up on the learning. I have video links and some learning materials.

What did you use to quickly learn Sketchup? Any words of wisdom? Or just go forward with what they provide?

Ideally I would love to pay for an hour (or two) with someone who knows the software. I have specific tools/tasks I need to understand. No time for dilly dally'ing.

M
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Portland, Oregon
HelloPado private msg quote post Address this user
I am by no means an authority on SU but would be happy to spend some time on the phone to get you in the right direction.
If you'd like, give me a call this week between 9am & 1pm PDT.

John
[Private Message for phone number]
Post 5 IP   flag post
Standard
Sarasota, Florida
@HelloPado Thank you!!! I will reach out Thursday or Friday. Im traveling until then.

You are very kind to offer. I will give you a ring. Thanks again!
Post 6 IP   flag post
101641 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?