Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 39 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseCapture 2.xCapture AppScanningScansTipsTricks

Why I Shot 300+ Scans for this Model + Risks79

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
I shot this backstage tour of "A Christmas Carol" at the Alliance Theatre in Atlanta Thursday (4 December 2014). (Our blog post)

It's a nice use-case: timely event promotion to existing and potential ticket buyers.

Not for the faint of heart: I did 300+ scans; duplicated the project on my iPad and then deleted scans to get to under 200. (200 is the maximum number of Scans Matterport will support, if there is a problem processing)

The risk is that the model might have fallen apart because some of the scans might have been necessary for linking the others. Think of the model as a "House of Cards" – careful about removing a 'weight-bearing' Scan.

I tend to capture and prune the scans I feel are not necessary for storytelling, but are needed to help initially connect the Scans. In this example, I wanted to deliver one backstage tour model: not two.

For context, Matterport writes: "The purpose of the live alignment [on the iPad Air] is to check to make sure the Scans can align before the server [Cloud] attempts to create a model from them. So, yes, deleting scans from the edges will maintain the alignment of the ones remaining."

While it took about 16 hours to process, it worked as one model. My fall-back (which I also did) was to duplicate the original model twice: Model 1: front of the house and backstage except the "backyard"; Model 2: just the "backyard".

I managed our clients expectations upfront that I might need to deliver the backstage tour as two models. If you're counting, there were four models: 1) 300+ scans; 2) removed 100+ scans; 3) front of the house and the backstage except the "backyard"; 4) the "backyard". I only delivered #2 to our client (he is thrilled).

Got an example of your best work? Add it to this thread.

Post 1 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
Great job Dan but I've discovered a bug, it seems that for some reason floorplan keeps coming up as you move through tour. It seems to happen as your click center right without warning. You're just clicking away through the tour and boom you just jump into the floorplan.

I would be interested if anyone else has experiences this problem. Anyway this is a great job of covering a massive location with a seamless tour.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks Gary ... I will check later today if I can replicate and report to support. Fun backstage shoot. For our next shoot at the Alliance, I anticipate getting an actress to lead the 'Walk-Around' visual storytelling and do set changes (within the same 3D Showcase.)

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
That sound great, I look forward to see that one. Please keep pushing the limits of the camera to show us all what it is capable of.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GarySnyder I could not replicate. You? I am using Google Chrome on iMac running OS X Yosemite (v 10.10.1)
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm using Chrome Version 39.0.2171.71m on a PC running Win 7 64 bit. I did some more checking and the problem only appears when I run the Showcase in the small window you have provide above. When I run your full Showcase in my.matterport there are no issues with it jumping to the floorplan.

I did find one link though that did't link for some reason it was the link that lead to the dressing room down the stairs backstage. It didn't seem to do anything.

Great job and tour. I can see why this too you so long to capture and for Matterport to stitch this all together.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GarySnyder Can you post a screen grab with the "dressing room down the stairs backstage"? I do not recall shooting down stairs: just at the top looking down.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Here you go;

Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GarySnyder

Wow!

You can get to this Scan (at the top of the steps) from the Floor Plan View, but you can not 'walk' to get. That's a first. Looks like I removed a key Scan that goes to the stage. (I did not capture down the stairs, so, not a critical scan).

Full-day 3D Showcase photo shoot today (Monday), so I may be slow to reply, if you post here again.

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
Interesting thing we learn about the capture app as we push its boundaries. If I find any little peculiarities about the app I'll be sure to let you know.

Happy Holidays to you as well,

Gary
Post 10 IP   flag post
ccctucker private msg quote post Address this user
First of all, kudos for pushing the boundaries. I was using an iPad air with 64g. I had to delete and do a memory wipe to get this to load. I am not sure how others will fare depending on devices.

With that said, scans this big could turn away many people just trying out the technology for the first time. I could see this being a great tool to provide theater goers a chance to see what vantage point their seat may have or providing them the view from the performer on stage.

When I read the caption, I envisioned people moving around the set during a rehearsal or something. It got my attention, but you could have left out a few rooms that really had nothing in them but construction equipment, as it didn't provide me any tie in to the play.

It seemed to be just too much stimulus that took away from the message you were trying to send. I hope that I am not coming off as too critical, just constructive.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ccctucker Thank you for the feedback. Always welcomed and appreciated.

Yes. It's a challenge / trade-off regarding size of the model (200 scans versus 100 scans).

Yes. Our client's preference was one model (including the construction equipment).

In future projects, imagine an actress leading the backstage tour.

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
I routinely capture with 209+ scans, though Matterport only supports up to 200 scans.

When scanning, I visualize:

1. The model
2. The walking experience
3. screen grabs within 3D Workshop
4. VR

Each has different scan needs.

1. I never delete scans while capturing.
2. I always duplicate a model before post production
3. I often delete scans to get to 200 or less (so the model plays nice with webGl)
4. I often deactivate scans in 3D Workshop for walkability

I manage clients' expectations that project may need to be two models

Hope this helps those willing to take risk of 200+ scans

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
AdamplatinumHD private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks @DanSmigod

Great advice!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
101421 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?