Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AECCUPIXGoogle Street ViewOutdoorsVersus

CUPIX 3D Tour Platform versus Matterport 3D Tour Platform7541

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

If you are thinking about buying a Matterport Camera, you are likely researching other 3D Tour platforms before pulling the trigger on a $10,000+ investment in the Matterport Camera and related gear, accessories and hosting plan.

One 3D Tour platform to compare to Matterport is CUPIX.

How does the CUPIX 3D Tour platform (website) compare to Matterport (website)?

So far, I am up to 30+ reasons why CUPIX may be a better choice for:

1. someone just starting out
2. Construction projects (progress reports, compare to BIM)
3. Super-large spaces (outdoors, indoors, construction)
4. Outdoor spaces
5. Architects and Engineers
6. Pro Photographers (where white-label and control of content matters, plus easy color correction, branding)
7. Prolific publishing to Google Street View
8. Cost sensitive (e.g. BLK360 versus a 360º 1-click camera for outdoors)
9. Ownership and control of data (privacy)
10. Off-line hosting

While Matterport has been busy expanding around the globe, in many verticals, lots of languages and 3rd party integration, this has likely slowed up innovation for Matterport Service Providers in the residential real estate space (and even in the AEC space).

Here's my list (so far):

1. data ownership - while Matterport will tell you that you own the copyright, ask them if they reserve the right to create derivative works (such as floor plans to license to a 3rd party). CUPIX does not do this.
2. data control - a "must reads" on this topic are the discussions on the "Matterport Ecosystem"
3. Copyright (that means something: no derivative works by CUPIX)
privacy (so that models can be shared without being public: Matterport is kludgy)
4. security (to protect viewing)
5. offline hosting - something the WGAN Forum Community has been asking for ... for four years
6. Adjust color (Matterport does not allow)
7. content editing
8. branding (white label)
9. annotation (better with CUPIX than Matterport) pushpin/box/hotspot
10. use any 360º camera for capture
11. Take a 360º video (that you have control over)
12. scale of capture (100,000 SQ FT before lunch)
13. Control - CUPIX enables control over the creating, hosting, viewing and sharing
14. blur control (which, size of blur, non-destructive)
15. cover image (upload)
16. Camera animation
17. Combine 3D Tours
18. Show floor (professional floor plan uploaded and viewed)
19. Add Nadir logo patch
20. Enable measure by the viewer
21. interactive floor plan
22. download of obj is a standard feature
23. presented by client logo (Matterport does not allow logo)
24. CUPIX gives Client more control over "walking" when published to GSV
25. CUPIX has a flat monthly fee for publishing to GSV (not per GSV tour)
26. adding 3D text and photo frame
27. compare BIM feature (compare 3D Tour to the BIM model)
28. compare progress (week 1, week 2, week 3, etc.)
29. better, easier measurement
30. BIM support
31. Team support (read-write or review, permissions and control access)

I could imagine that the Matterport product development team has all these items on their technology roadmap, but with so many initiatives in so many directions and with a finite amount of technology development bandwidth, development at Matterport seems to moves at a glacial paces. (Matterport, may we please have Cloud Backup and Restore? Something that the WGAN Forum Community has been asking for ... for four years.)

Plus, I could imagine the various teams are fighting over which priorities get implemented first. Unfortunately, that conversation is likely to be driven by which features will help Matterport sell more cameras rather than which features will make our existing customers raving fans.

In the mean time, a much smaller company, CUPIX, is innovating at a much, much faster pace. Google Street View integration, for example, was done in about a month versus Matterport that was more than a year before commercially available (and then did not have the right pricing for power users). Why would you want your best customers to look elsewhere for an affordable solution?

Buying Matterport is likely a safe decision. That said, CUPIX and other 3D Tour platforms may be better choices for you depending on what's important to you: particularly if you are a professional photographer or work in the AEC space.

Here are all WGAN Forum discussions tagged: CUPIX

When you look at this list (above), what are your thoughts or questions?

Special Offer for WGAN Standard and Premium Members

FREE! First six months of CUPIX Small Plan + Studio Add On Pack (Publish to Google Street View), if you are a We Get Around Network Standard or Premium Member.

To receive this WGAN Standard and Premium Membership benefit, please see the We Get Around CUPIX Small Plan + Studio Add On Pack Offer Order Form in the Welcome Onboard Letter.

Not Yet a WGAN Standard Member? www.JoinStandard.com | Compare WGAN Membership Plans | Member Benefits

CUPIX Related Links

CUPIX website
CUPIX Account Sign Up
CUPIX YouTube Channel
✓ WGAN Forum discussions tagged: CUPIX | GSV | AEC

Best,

Dan

P.S. If you would like a deep dive in CUPIX, what these three WGAN-TV Live at 5 shows ...

WGAN-TV CUPIX Split Screen - Compare 3D Tour to BIM Model to Time Frames with Scott Anderson and Paul Collart from CUPIX
---

WGAN-TV CUPIX Update-Videogrammetry, Animation, and Much More
---

WGAN-TV - CUPIX for Newbies AND CUPIX Versus Matterport with CUPIX Director of Sales Scott Anderson
---
Post 1 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user

- Not a fan of how the welcome screen works.
- Not a fan of the pixelized loading sequence.
- Not a fan of the verbiage (Loading / Perfecting / Downloading) -- too computery.
- There is hesitation and buffering between each pano.

--

I am, however, a big fan of Cupix. I continue to watch in amazement at all of the cool things that these guys are doing. I have faith that they will continue to iterate and make every aspect of the platform better -- and at a rapid pace too.

Cupix ... not if ... when!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Cupix Director
of Sales
San Francisco
scott_cupix private msg quote post Address this user
@metroplex, so very picky.
Here's an interactive player for you and others to test.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
I am also interested in using this service. I have been trying it out. I have had some questions and problems using the system.

Support however is non-existent so far. I have left a Facebook message, a number of support tickets and messages on the community forum.

I have only got automated responses. From my point of view this is not good for business.
I really want to be able to use this product, but support is a concern.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Cupix Director
of Sales
San Francisco
Hi Leon,
You posted multiple great topics in the Cupix discussion forum. Cupix support and development team and other community members will eat these up! They are great starting topics for an open-ended discussion which is perfect for a forum and will serve as good topics for future visitors.

For the fastest response on how-to's and application questions, the support site and support tickets are the way to go. If you can't find the answer on the support site, post a support ticket. Tickets are queued into the support pipeline and can be answered in a timely manner. I did notice that one of your tickets is overdue a response so I'll figure out why that is the case. In general, support questions are addressed same day or next day.

You can also arrange a 1-on-1 web-conference with Cupix anytime here's a link: www.calendly.com/cupix/demo

Best,
Scott
Post 5 IP   flag post
vantasy private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,
My client is much more picky than for my matterport scan. The scanned model came out with a lot of comments like why the connectivity between points are not smooth, why there are camera images on the mirrors (there are too many mirrors that we cannot avoid) and the distortion due to lighting. I guess cupix is an alternative way for my client in order to edit the virtual tour photos.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
@scott_cupix Thank you for getting back to me. I may have been a little trigger happy, I was pretty excited to find out about your system, (Thank you @DanSmigrod ) and was excited to get it to work. Like everything in life there is a learning curve. I believe I have the potential to get far more business from Cupix than from Matterport. While I will still offer Matterport services, Cupix will be getting a large portion of my business.

Best,

Leon
Post 7 IP   flag post
Cupix Director
of Sales
San Francisco
@leonherbert, there could be a 1 week learning curve for the entire process. Some visually informative how-to-videos can help with this and of course you can reach out. Learning curve can grow or shrinkdepending on what you are trying to accomplish and what type of camera you are using. Looking forward to connecting with you soon.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Cupix Director
of Sales
San Francisco
@vantasy, photoshop makes quick work out of fills. How awesome is content-aware fill in panorama mode of PS CC 2018, am I right? Of course you could also do something a little a like this: http://blog.cupix.com/edit-a-360-photos-in-photoshop/. If your a photoshop junkie then you'll like this little button right here in Cupix:

That right you can replace the 360 imagery in Cupix with your re-imagined photoshop version. It also comes in handy when you client wants you to make an edit.

The other work-flow is in-app photo editing. Love photoshop or not, in app adjustment of photos saves a ton of time right inside of Cupix. Here's how that works:

Post 9 IP   flag post
101635 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?