Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
.objRemodelingRevitSketchUp

Matterport OBJ question6837

Chi3d private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,
I have a clients that wants to use the OBJ file to plan a remodeling job on a home, can the obj file be modified for this purpose.

TIA
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Chi3d

Typically, the Object File (.obj) needs to be converted to a SketchUp (.skp) or Revit (.rvt) file. Ask your client which CAD program they use and then engage a company that provides file conversion services such as InventivCG.

You can find more companies that do file conversion under the Services tab above. (See AEC Space)

Here are WGAN Forum discussions tagged: .obj
Best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Chi3d

BTW, renovation is an excellent use case. When our master bath was renovated, I scanned the bathroom and provided the architect with a Sketchup File.

Once we approved the 3D model of our master bathroom, the architect outputted construction drawings.

Note:

1. Matterport .obj is accurate enough to do renovation
2. Matterport .obj is accurate enough for trades to estimate costs
3. Architect MUST do some key measurements to double-check scale. Trades MUST measure. For example, don't built a long vanity until the cabinet make comes out and measures.

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
thanks Dan.
Hopefully I get this job, prob won't make as much as a full house scan but be good to learn another market.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Chi3d

Just because it takes you less time doesn't mean you should not charge aggressively for this. You will save the architect a ton of time.

Reminder that Matterport now charges for the MatterPak.

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
3dvirtualview private msg quote post Address this user
@Chi3d I agree with Dan by not under selling these specific tools. I can see this as a specialized service that would actually be more money on top of the 3D tour.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
@Chi3d If you have any questions about remodeling related work feel free to reach out. I've been using Matteport scan data as a foundation for my remodeling jobs. Once a proper CAD file is generated, the sky is the limit. The demand for high-end VR seems to be growing by the day.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks @dannybasting I do have some questions. Ive just got another inquiry for a builder that wants to generate a 3D tour from a floorplan. Any info on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.
Hoping to find a vendor I can work with to supply these for me.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
Hey @Chi3d,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

If you are looking for a low cost 3d tour that is based from a floor plan, then Archilogic might be a good option for you. I wrote a review about it about year ago. It was from a 3D artist perspective however. You can check it out over here.

If you are looking custom high-end solution I might be able to help you. Feel free to check out my website and this thread where I posted a lot about my workflow.

I hope that the above helps you move forward. If not, you know where to find me
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thanks @dannybasting can you please send me some pricing, and does this have navigation like Matterport?
Post 10 IP   flag post
3dvirtualview private msg quote post Address this user
@DannyBasting Impressive video!
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chi3d
Thanks @dannybasting can you please send me some pricing, and does this have navigation like Matterport?

Here are @DannyBasting 's rate cards for his InventiveCG services.

As a WGAN Standard Member, you can:

✓ Save 15 Percent on all InventiveCG Services (Basic, Standard and Premium Members)
✓ To receive this Membership Benefit, please see the WGAN Welcome Onboard Letter for the We Get Around InventiveCG Promo Code Order Form

Best,

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
Thank you Dan. I've just returned to Spain from an unexpected trip to Holland since my Apartment has been sold within 5 days of being on the market. I'll be posting some updates in regards to my VR work later today.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
@Chi3d You can not compare this to Matterport. You can walk around freely, as where in Matterport you are restricted to the locations you have scanned. That being said, this is not to replace Matterport. My solutions is focussed on new housing project, but can also be used for higher end remodeling jobs. In the latter, Matterport can actually be the foundation of the project (to get the measurements).

I think it is mostly interesting for project developers who are creating new housing. Not only can it help in the design process, it also helps sell the un-built properties. Perhaps this could be a new group of clients for you if you want to resell this service.
Post 14 IP   flag post
what is the pricing?
Post 15 IP   flag post
101635 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?