Screen Grab. NYMag.com | Wednesday, 29 March 2018

Hi All,

Facebook is taking a grilling from Members, Media and Legislators about using Member data without the knowledge or consent.

In a news story published Wednesday (29 March 2018) by NYMag.com, the author writes:

"If you decided to do another take, you could click to discard that video and try it again. Except, the video wasn’t actually deleted. Instead, Facebook apparently saved your unused clip."

Sound familiar?

With Facebook in the spotlight over similar missteps, it's unlikely that Matterport will want to go there again (anytime soon). And, that's good for Matterport Service Providers (and clients).

Though, there are no guarantees.

In his apology, Matterport CEO Bill Brown only apologize for how the new terms of service were rolled out and communicated.

"I’m sorry for any trouble caused by this change, and for the way it was rolled out and communicated," wrote Bill. "I wanted to ensure people have the confidence of knowing that we understand we could have done a better job and are taking our learning forward."

I could imagine Facebook's mess is a timely topic for discussion with Matterport's executive team and outside counsel.

What do you think? Is the Facebook mess a good thing for Matterport Pros?

Best,

Dan

Screen Grab. NYMag.com | Wednesday, 29 March 2018