Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D PrintingAdviceScanning

3D printing starting with a Matterport Scan6551

Ramblinman private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone scanned an object with a Matterport, lets say a toy, processed the scans, grab the obj/xyz files, run them thru modeling software and then 3D print the object scanned, ie toy?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Nerdvice451 private msg quote post Address this user
I tried to do this over a year ago. It was a room - I was able to convert it into an .stl file (preferred file for 3D printing over .obj file) I got a file that appeared to be printable but was not. Now we have since that time bought an inexpensive scanner and my partner has scanned images and converted them into 3D like images. So far we have just been experimenting. I think we would need a high dollar scanner to really capture images and convert them into 3D picture files. I think that you would need a scanner that isolates the image from the background. Matterport creates an .obj of the entire area, I don't think it would be the best tool for the job.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Mimax_Solutions_Ltd private msg quote post Address this user
I think you could do it with a lot of work on the matterport files but the final printed object would be far from an exact copy of the original...
Post 3 IP   flag post
Ya, I'm thinking of going DIY and using a Kinect from a Mirosoft Xbox to scan, and then run it thru ReconstructMe software to import it into the 3D printer
Post 4 IP   flag post
Standard
Windsor, UK
leonvanzweel private msg quote post Address this user
@Ramblinman Use a turntable like the Foldio 360 (app controlled) Shoot your images with your dslr and process with 3DZephyr (50 images free) or Agisoft's Photoscan. These are photogrammetry apps that give you 3D print useable Mesh. See 3dcanexpert.com for the how to. Use bigger & better turntables for larger objects. Handheld scanners are very expensive. This requires a decent computer.
Post 5 IP   flag post
thanks @leonvanzweel ...we'll look into this...out PC is a heavy lifter, we process and create point clouds, 3D models, large maps etc
Post 6 IP   flag post
LilyCollins private msg quote post Address this user
@Ramblinman my husband has a hobby he makes models of small figures of various animals on his 3d printer in the garage. As for the scanner, he has the opportunity to take Artec from his work from time to time, the problem is that the scans are obtained in black and white, as he says. Last time we scanned our cat, it was quite difficult, we had to keep it still
Post 7 IP   flag post
101641 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?