Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CDNDystopianLegalMatterport EcosystemRevenue ShareWish List

Matterport Ecosystem: "Wish List" for MSPs6402

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

How might Matterport make the Matterport Ecosystem win-win-win for everyone?

I will start off the "wish list" ...

1. Give Matterport Service Providers the option to Opt-in either for all or individual Spaces
2. Compensate Matterport Service Providers that opt-in (buy-out? Monthly Recurring Revenue? by use case?)
3. Do NOT default that the MSP is automatically opted-in

How might Matterport make the Matterport Ecosystem win-win-win for everyone?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
1. Matterport launches a public database "MatterVerse" -- Think SketchFab.com, YouTube, etc.

2. All models are on the MatterVerse unless set to private.

3. Each MSP gets their own page with a link to their company's webpage and socials and visible view stats, maybe comments, etc. -- thus, participation is desirable.

4. Non-MSPs can sign up for accounts and can EASILY favorite tours, build their own lists, etc, and then use any one of the 3rd party services to play with public spaces.

5. If a Non-MSP purchases a 3rd party service, there's a revenue share that the MSP gets.

6. Tours on the MatterVerse do not count towards hosting limits.
Post 2 IP   flag post
CarlosFHdz private msg quote post Address this user
- Space creator always gets credit for scanning the space regardless of changes by 3rd party providers. For example " Powered by Matterport - Originally created by Touritnow.com"

This will incentivize providers to grow their business and will help market it at the same time. Similar to a remix always naming the original artist.
Post 3 IP   flag post
GeorgeK private msg quote post Address this user
The real issue is not how they advance the system or billing for it. The issue is what does the "copyright assignment" to the MSP mean when they assign them self superior rights without cost. I think this is not only unconscionable but borders on extortion as you (MSPS) are going to at some point be forced to sign the Terms of Service agreement or have a camera you can not even take apart let alone use.

It really may be time for everyone to get and attorney and file for an injunction on this issue, and then a class action to pay for the attorney. Just the Press on this could ruin Matterport.

Even the Attorney General of the United States could be interested in this as they sell the cameras all over the United States. If all MSP wrote to them it would get some attention.

It is just how do you rally the troops.
g.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport PAYS us everytime a tour is viewed like YOUTUBE. Or it will be Arab Spring Soon...
Post 5 IP   flag post
BlairBryngelson private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with all the above.

If we end up just contributing all this data (models) for MP's big vision but at some point in the future, all of our individual contributions to the data set gets dumped into the data sea, well that's not a very reasonable solution for the content creators.

If this YouTube or SketchFab approach is in fact what MP is doing, then the ecosystem should account for and HEAVILY favor the original content creators.

That means copyright, ownership, ad revenue, analytics, and everything else should be built with content creators in mind.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard
Matterport PAYS us everytime a tour is viewed like YOUTUBE. Or it will be Arab Spring Soon...

That's not exactly how YouTube works unless there are ads that are viewed.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 I know how the eco system works and how revenue is generated on Youtube. It was just an example of what can be done.

But same as Youtube IF YOU ARE NOT THE ORIGINAL OWNER OF THE CONTENT you don't get any money.

So in a way, it is like youtube, and they are sitting with their own problems at the moment with content creators that is losing revenue with changes to their policies etc.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
I’m new with Matterport...less than 2 months...and I was excited about my future with the system. Now, not so much. I’m wondering what I got myself into. This whole thing is confusing to me but it reminds me of what Uber is doing to their drivers, building their business on their backs to get to autonomous cars and then leave them hanging. I realize it’s not the same but feels just as sleezy to me.

Hearing about your customers being contacted by Matterport to try to sell them a camera really concerns me. Haven’t experienced it yet but if I do I’ll be really POd.

If what everyone is reporting here is accurate, I think the best remedy is massive exposure in social media and the news. Lawsuits can take years which I’m sure Matterport is aware off.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

What other "wish list" ideas of how Matterport could turn raging fan back into the raving fans?

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
Snap private msg quote post Address this user
I think the most important thing to note @DanSmigrod is that the trust is gone. I'm not even sure there would be a way to remedy this as we can never trust what direction they would take us in the future...I think most MSPs will leave irregardless as soon as there is an alternative if not sooner.

Quite honestly I'm very hesitant about promoting their services at the moment, I may decide to remove this service all together - the potential liability associated as an MSP is alarming...
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Snap

See #10 inspired by your post.

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
101437 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?