Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 39 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Buy GearCamerasPhotomatixTips

Need help Getting a camera set up6039

Basic
Appleton, WI
ben629 private msg quote post Address this user
So I decided I want to start doing real estate photos to bundle with my Matterport tours. Im looking for recommendations for a good starter camera. I will need it to take good stills and I also want it to be able to do good quality walk through videos. Im looking at the Canon - EOS 80D. I will also need lens recommendations please.
Post 1 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @ben629,

Congratulations on taking the plunge into traditional real estate photography! I posted this in another thread, but I thought that you might find it helpful.

Here is a brief summary of what I use during a typical shoot:

Below is a list of equipment/software that I use when photographing for my clients.

Canon 700D - $430
Canon 10-18mm - $280
Extra Batteries - $14
Tripod - $67
Backpack - $27
Memory Card - $25
Photomatix Pro 6 - $99
Magic Lantern - Free

Total: $942

Camera settings:
Capture images in RAW
Shoot in Manual Mode
Apeture: 9.5
ISO: 100
White Balance: Auto
Metering: Evaluative

All of my images are HDR. I do not use a flash or other off camera lighting. This makes taking pictures quick and easy with no setup. Natively, the recommended camera will allow you to take 3 bracketed exposures, but once you install Magic Lantern, you will be able to take up to 11 bracketed exposures automatically. I usually use 5 images taken at -3, -1.5, 0, +1.5 +3. This will generally allow you to capture the entire dynamic range of a space. Once I have my images, I merge them in Photomatix using a custom preset that was built off of the interior 2 preset.

For video, this camera and lens work well, but for walkthrough video, you will want to make sure that you have a stabilizer (which can be quite expensive for a DSLR). For video, I have been using a CGO3 with a hand held 3-axis gimbal stabilizer (the camera and handheld stabilizer came with my drone, so no additional cost). For me, this works pretty well. I do not get the highest quality video, but sometimes good enough is good enough. I hope to invest in higher end equipment down the road, but since I just started with video this past year, it works for now. Video is a great way to generate extra revenue without adding a ton of time on site. I shot the below video in about 10 minutes and spent about 30 minutes in post.

Here is an example of a video I did last week.

Here is a link to the photos that I took of the above property with the above camera setup.

I hope this helps, but if you have additional questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks,
Jon J
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
Jon,

That's incredibly generous of you - nice work, BTW.

Happy New Years -

Keith
Post 3 IP   flag post
101425 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?