Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AnalysisBLK360Leica

Matterport and Leica partnering in 20185503

PeterMcCready private msg quote post Address this user
Just spotted this a few moments ago...

http://leica-geosystems.com/about-us/news-room/news-overview/2017/09/2017-09-26-matterport

...BLK360 integration into the Matterport cloud beckons in 2018 for the AEC (Architecture, Engineering and Construction) sector!
Post 1 IP   flag post
nat_vanveen private msg quote post Address this user
@PeterMcCready thanks for the share... that's interesting!
Post 2 IP   flag post
PeterMcCready private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_vanveen
@PeterMcCready thanks for the share... that's interesting!

Interesting indeed, I've a long time FARO focused colleague solidly sold on the BLK360 ever since attending SPAR 2017, the Matterport experience will greatly add to it. Dan did a great piece on the BLK360 last April in case you missed it:

https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/4337/page/1/spar3d-leica-blk360-imaging-laser-scanner/#3
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

360º Video: Leica Geosystems Director of Software Engineering Gregory Walsh chats about the Leica BLK360 Imaging Laser Scanner and Autodesk Recap 360º with We Get Around Network Founder Dan Smigrod at SPAR 3D Expo & Conference in Houston, Texas on Tuesday, 3 April 2017.

@PeterMcCready

Thanks SO much for catching this news today (26 September 2017).

As I understand the press release, the Leica BLK360 Camera will seamlessly process and publish via the Matterport Cloud. Then, anything that we can presently do in the Matterport Cloud - or Matterport Workshop - will be doable such as generating iFrame, exporting 360s, generating .pts and .obj and more.

Is that how you interpret the press release?

If I correctly summarized the deal, this is GREAT news for the entire Matterport eco-system, including Matterport Service Providers.

Much like – or exactly like – the Google Street View certifications announced at the 2017 Google Street View Summit in Tokyo in May 2017, I could imagine that Matterport will enable all 360º Cameras to seamlessly process and publish via the Matterport Cloud.

With the high-end LiDAR solutions, this is a gimmie. Everything that Matterport can do, these cameras can do better. No need for Matterport to invent a higher end Camera – simply partner with these Camera/Scanner companies. Plus, I see Matterport doing the same thing with the lower price point 360º cameras - using photogrammetry - for what is done today by the data that the Matterport Pro1/Pro2 3D Cameras capture.

By opening the Matterport Cloud to all Cameras that meets Matterport certifications, this will grow the market - the demand for scanning. And, while some might think that adding low-end cameras to the ecosystem will be bad, it will actually help grow demand in the aggregate and the demand for professionals to create the content.

By the way, all of the above I wrote about two months ago in this We Get Around Network Forum analysis where I suggest that this is exactly the course that Matterport should pursue:

Matterport Cloud to Support Other Cameras?

Was Matterport already headed in this direction before I wrote about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @DanSmigrod

Matterport Cloud to Support Other Cameras?

Hi All,

In a moment, more about the question, "Matterport Cloud to Support Other Cameras?"

First, some backstory ...

What the Matterport tech team has accomplished is amazing. When you think about it, they had to invent electricity and the light bulb simultaneously.

For clarification, that means:

1. Matterport Pro 3D Camera
2. Matterport Capture App
3. Matterport Cloud for processing Matterport Spaces
4. Matterport Cloud for hosting Matterport Spaces
5. Matterport Portal
6. Matterport 3D Showcase for viewing models
7. Content Delivery Network (CDN)

I could also imagine that the Matterport tech team is super-busy with creating SDKs/APIs and integration with Google Street View to launch in 4Q17 (and likely a thousand other things in a tug-of-war for the tech teams priorities).

Which leads me to the next generation of Matterport Cameras.

Based on Matterport job postings the last year, it is likely that Matterport has plans for the next generation of Matterport Cameras - perhaps exponential rather than incremental. Think LiDAR scanning tech becoming way more affordable which would allow Matterport to amp-up in game in the Architect-Engineering-Construction (AEC) Space where improved point clouds would justify a higher-end camera.

In lieu of developing Cameras internally – something that was necessary when Matterport created the eco-system, as described above - Matterport should open its platform to other Camera companies.

While I am not a hardware or software engineer - just geeky - I could imagine that the following Scanner-Cameras could publish to Matterport:

1. iGuide Camera System
2. Vuze
3. NCTech iris360 Pro
4. NCTech LASiris VR
5. Realvision
6. Insta 360 Pro
7. Leica Geosystems BLK
8. NavVis 3D Mapping Trolley
9. Other scanners-cameras

It's likely that we all wold agree that Matterport is a razor/razor blade business model. It makes recurring revenue on processing and hosting.

So, now that Matterport has a proven platform, it should embraced 3rd party scanner-camera companies to publish to the Matterport Platform.

For example, I could imagine a triple play with other Cameras:

1. publish to Matterport
2. publish to Google Street View
3. publish to NCTech platform

Plus, for Pros, we could (finally) get away from Matterport branding.

For Matterport, it means focusing its resources on the platform: not the hardware. Plus, enabling other scanners-cameras, means other companies marketing Matterport in verticals such as AEC that they already do business and have established sales channels.

Enabling other scanners-cameras to publish to Matterport would add huge value to the Matterport eco-system, including likely selling more Matterport Pro2 3D Cameras (which become the low-end camera in the eco-system).

As other scanner-camera companies succeed faster, Matterport will succeed faster with recurring revenue for processing, hosting and ancillary, derivative revenue.

Should - and will - Matterport support other cameras?

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Blue-Sketch
Founder
New Orleans, LA
PetraSoderling private msg quote post Address this user
Given that Google Tango is now now dead there is a market out there for lower cost devices that can upload dimensional data to an efficient back end that creates the point cloud. Matterport has a clever strategy here.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@PetraSoderling

I could imagine that the iPhone duel cameras are the trojan horse for capturing depth data.

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Blue-Sketch
Founder
New Orleans, LA
PetraSoderling private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod Ah maybe, but it's not there yet. I wrote a brief article about the current depths sensor support on iOS11. Unfortunately it only reaches between 50 and 100 cm so not yet enough to map rooms. I'm keeping the hopes up for ARKit enhancements, someone _HAS_ to replace what Tango was about to achieve.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/iphone-8-3d-capabilities-real-estate-petra-soderling/
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@PetraSoderling

That's a great article that you wrote. Can you start a new Forum discussion by posting it and include Source link about to your original post?

I could imagine that the iPhone dual lens meets photogrammetry = magic.

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

What do you think about Leica BLK360 being able to process and publish within the Matterport Cloud?

Best,

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
That sounds interesting.
As I mentioned here, I'd hold off buying in to anything at this moment and see what kind of data it can provide. The promo videos of the BLK360 look very promising, but like I mentioned.. I'd like to review its data myself, prior to jumping to any conclusions or even thinking about a pre-order.

On a side note: This news may also explain why Matterport is so slow on delivering XYZ files since last week. Any one else noticed this?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Source: Sean Higgins / September 27, 2017 / Spar3D.com

During INTERGEO 2017, Leica Geosystems and Matterport announced a partnership to “deliver a fast, simple solution for creating, modifying, distributing, and navigating immersive 3D and digital images” in AEC.

This means a number of changes are on the way. First, Matterport has opened up its platform to accept data from third-party sensors, starting with Leica’s very popular, low-cost BLK360 lidar. Matterport says Google Tango devices are also in play, with other sensors likely to come in the future. The idea is to enable users of other sensors to take advantage of the cloud-based functionality of Matterport’s tech.

Second, the two companies are integrating Multivista’s construction progress documentation services into the Matterport’s platform.

Multivista, which was purchased by Hexagon in late 2016, offers documentation features like linking captured data to architectural plans, as well as livestreaming “live conditions or events, such as walkthroughs and inspections,” as well as recording events for on-demand viewing.

The integration of technologies from these two companies has an added benefit: Users can now operate the Leica BLK360 as well as Matterport’s Pro2 using the Matterport Capture app, and combine data from two sensors into a single model.

“We are excited to be aligning with the market-leaders to integrate the new BLK360 imaging laser scanner and support end-user applications to serve a broader range of use cases,” said Bill Brown, Matterport CEO, in a prepared statement. “We are focused on offering an end-to-end platform that is extremely easy to use, quick, and inexpensive. Our new partnership with Leica Geosystems plus our recent Multivista partnership are huge steps forward in this platform development.”

Source: Spar3D
Post 11 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quick analysis -- Bill Brown's prepared statement was carefully crafted, as Matterport's statements always are.

"Easy to use, quick and inexpensive"

BLK360 = $15,990 and 3 Minutes per scan. Imagery is 150 Megapixels.
PRO-2 = $4000 and 30-40 seconds per scan. Imagery is 136 Megapixels.

This sounds like a great match as the Pro-2 is clearly superior in speed and ease of use for capturing photographic imagery -- and the platform is perfect for presenting the combined data from the BLK360's MESH and the Pro-2's imagery.

In addition, with the opening of the Capture platform, there will be more room for strategic partnerships... possibly even with NCTech whose device has yet to ship and the platform has yet to be fully explained.

--

On August 19 [2017], this quote was published:

“There will always be room for laser scanners,” he said, especially since they can provide a higher level of accuracy than Matterport’s 3D cameras. The latter are “accurate within 1% … [the infrared structured-light technology] is not something you can get a lot more accuracy out of,” said Prochazka. While that is “more than accurate enough” for smaller as-built projects, he explained, “in a big warehouse, that could be inches or even a foot off in terms of accuracy” — an amount that may or may not matter, depending on the application.

- Matterport’s Director of Product Management and head of AEC, Daniel Prochazka

--

I inferred at the time that this was Matterport's carefully crafted statement about moving towards LIDAR as cost comes down. Otherwise, why not state that Matterport is the solution across the board as it is?

Love it!
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

Chris, yes, very exciting news.

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Matterport sent a newsletter today (27 Sept. 2017) that included this article on the Matterport mashup with Leica BLK360 Camera. ...

Dan

Explore Space Link

---

Explore Space Link

--

Here is the link for more info, though as of 6:44 pm ET Wednesday, 27 Sept. 2017, it is password protected.
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Definitely look at the two different links. Your thoughts?

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
The best news for me on this is, that Hexagon (Owner of Leica Geosystems) has the power to push MP forward and their head is european.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
From Matterport Co-Founder Matt Bell:

"We just announced another project I've been leading for the last few months! We're opening up the Matterport reconstruction platform to 3rd party laser scanners, which are substantially more expensive than our camera but also have much greater range (150ft+) and work outdoors. This will allow customers to scan very large locations such as airports, shopping malls, stadiums, factories, and large construction sites. In fact, users will be able to use both Matterport's camera and a laser scanner on the same job. Matterport's camera is best at spaces with rooms, whereas laser scanners are best at large open areas."
Post 17 IP   flag post
andreabortolot private msg quote post Address this user
@Dan
Good news! Hopefully we could integrate other scanners.Indeed BLK360 is quite expensive.I don't see reasonable for a MP photographer spend 15k only to have a more detailed dollhouse. Bear in mind this scanner don't align scans as Mp do...They have to be georeferenced manually in post production.
I see more reasonable (if necessary) purchase a 5k scanner from a Uk based company called Effortless.
Post 18 IP   flag post
101637 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?