Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CamerasScanning

Matterport Camera Height: What do you do?5007

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

A Member of the Forum writes:

"I'd like to hear about how to determine the correct height of the camera. Does it change floor by floor, house by house?"

Best,

Dan

--

We Get Around Atlanta typically does three heights, depending on the Space.

1. Large Homes and Commercial Spaces – 60" - five feet - as measured to the Matterport Camera center lens
2. Hotel Rooms and Small Spaces - door knob heigh - or just low enough to avoid the mirrors in a bathroom
3. Low ceilings - half the height between the ceiling and floors

I am re-thinking 60" for two reasons:

1. When you "walk" through a Space, I like the verticals to be vertical
2. Lower makes spaces look bigger

Based on a recommendation by @JonJ - We will shoot under beds so that we don't create a hole in the mesh that let's you see the floor below (under the bed). We use a 4-section tripod that let's us get lower with the Camera.

If it is an amazing bathroom tub with a great view from the tub, we will place the camera on it's lowest level in the tub.

We also break rules above, if warranted. For example, high up to view artwork or low for a space for children.

What's your standard height(s) and why?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
MarcelloM private msg quote post Address this user
Hello Dan one question: have you to keep the same height during all the scan or you can modify the heigh without aligning problems?
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @MarcelloM
Hello Dan one question: have you to keep the same height during all the scan or you can modify the heigh without aligning problems?

While there are no alignment issues, typically best to shoot a space all at the same level (unless there is a reason to break this rule).

Keep in mind that when you walk, you do not bob up and down. Same should be true in the Matterport Spaces 3D and VR tour....

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Yes of course Dan. I was wondering if it's possible to lower, say, the height when you enter in a room or a bathroom) that could look bigger when taken at lower height (or for avoid the mirror reflection of the camera). Any experience or suggestion?
Thank you!
Marcello
Post 4 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
@MarcelloM

I set the camera to different heights all the time. I do so because I scan for AEC purposes and not to create a pretty tour. It helps me capture the most 3D data which is important for my projects.

So no, lowering your camera while entering a new room is no problem at all.

Danny
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thank you Danny I'll try it!
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@MarcelloM

@DannyBasting is doing scans for the data; not for walking around.

If you are walking around, you do not want to bob up and down.

While We Get Around Atlanta has done it to keep out of mirrors when the client insists, the user likely goes, oh, that's he Camera, and then keeps looking at the space.

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
101436 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?