Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3rd Party Service ProviderGoogle Street ViewGSV17MP2SV

Matterport to offer 360ºs as Optional Extra4371

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport to offer 360º Photo Spheres as Optional Extra

I could imagine that Matterport will announce at the Google Street View Summit in Tokyo (10-11 May 2017) that it will offer 360º photo spheres as an optional extra ($$$).

This would be in addition to announcing 1-touch publishing to Google Street View (that I also imagine will be announced at the Google Street View Summit.)

Based on the Holy Grail revelation of the Matterport tech by (the extraordinarily talented) @Metroplex360 in the We Get Around Network Group Forum – and related discussion – both 1-click publishing to Google Street View – and offering 360ºs exporting – are (relatively) easy for Matterport to implement.

What we learned from MatterXport – almost a year ago - was that Matterport already creates six-sided cubes: the foundation for creating 360º photo spheres (equi-rectangular .jpgs).

I could imagine that the sun, moon and the stars are aligning to enable these announcements:

1. Vocal Community – A very vocal We Get Around Network Forum Community seeking both 1-click publishing to Google Street View and exporting 360º photo spheres to enable 3rd party solution providers such as MP2SV to offer enhanced editing, conversion and publishing services. Enabling 360º photo spheres also would play nice with Facebook, for example.

2. Matterport APIs/SDKs - announced almost two years ago, but not officially released. I could imagine that the delay is the result of getting the API integration "just right" for Google Street View, Realtor.com and other major opportunities for Matterport to add huge value to its eco-system. Seems like Matterport has had enough time to get it right and now is the time to make its APIs/SDKs public.

3. Google Street View Summit – perfect place to announce to 9,000+ Google Street View Trusted Photographers both 1-click publishing to GSV and 360ºs export

4. Japan – Matterport got lucky on this one. Since Matterport plans to launch in Japan (in a big way), it is fortuitous that the Google Street View Summit is in Tokyo.

I could imagine that our voices have (finally) been heard on the importance of being able to publish Matterport Spaces – and access to 360º photo spheres. And, thank Matterport recognizes an opportunity to make more money.

If we can charge more for publishing to Google Street View – and posting 360º photo spheres to Facebook (and other platforms), then we can pay more to Matterport for these enhanced services.

(That said, Matterport still does not have it business model correct about offering floor plans and CoreVR. If it is going to charge, it needs to roll-up these services - and Google Street View and exporting 360º photo spheres – in an enhanced monthly/annual cloud hosting plan so that it is much harder for clients to go direct or challenge what we are charging to offer the optional extra service.

Anyway, as I shared in this post, I have been invited to attend Google Street View Summit in Tokyo. I will be Tokyo to report back to you about Matterport - and other 360º cameras/platforms/services - in our space.

I could be wrong both about Matterport announcing 1-click publishing to Google Street View and wrong about Matterport enabling exporting of 360º photo spheres, BUT I did nail it predicting that Matterport would announce CoreVR for iPhone at Inman Connect 2017 in New York City.

What do you think? Is this just wishful thinking or will these announcements happen at Google Street View in Tokyo (10-11 May 2017)?

Best,

Dan

P.S. All the above contributes to the exponential growth I see coming soon for the Matterport eco-system.
Post 1 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
I'm holding thumbs, :-) ;-)
Post 2 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
I would like to see this, I am just not happy to hear of an additional charge. But in this case I would think the 360 views could be an easy step. But I would like to see a side by side with Iris360, or the newest Iris360 pro version camera, which Google maps already support.

Ron
Post 3 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
I hope it will be a free add-on, as I am still in the infant stadium of my business and the market here is just waking up to 3D + VR. our ZAR to USD also not helping.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ron0987

Yes. It's nice to have the NCTech iris360 Pro nipping at Matterport's heals to help keep the foot down on the gas peddle for innovation and a foot down on the brake about charging extra (if at all).

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I can imagine that Matterport would be capable of providing some unique features for Street View.

#1) Perfect Linking of Panos - Our Spaces already have this functionality. The same logic that applies to navigating Spaces can be applied to exporting to Street View. GPS can be a fickle thing for exact positioning as it's relative to the phone in the case of the Theta S and the Street View App will only do this if your scans are very close - and even then, it's not fool proof and can cause headaches.

#2) Multiple Floors - Matterport Spaces have support for multiple floors. This is something that can be automatically uploaded also as most of the 360 Cameras have limited positioning with GPS -- but don't have height / grouping abilities.

I also envision that Snapshots could be automatically uploaded to Google via Matterport Cloud.

--

A few sidenotes:
- The Street View API currently does not support multiple levels. The Business View system did. Currently, the best way to do this is to create multiple constellations (or islands if you are using PanoSkin) - and to simply not post them in the same location as each other and wait for the feature to come out later for linking them.

- The Street View API does not seem to have a way to upload images. Business View allowed both 360s and images to be uploaded. No idea if this feature will be added.

- I have always said that Matterport was an ideal system for capturing Street Views. Using capture to visualize a scan, maintain straight lines, and keep consistent spacing is excellent.
Post 6 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
I look forward to the releases of NCtech as they will also provide a great SDK and full access to any captured data.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@mori

Yes. I imagine that NCTech will be one of the presenting companies.

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
It would be great if Matterport enables exporting 360ºs. The Google Street View Summit seams like a perfect occasion to announce this.

Since social sharing of imagery is so important to all of us and our clients, this his one feature that Matterport needs to enable. For a closed platform, this is one way for it to mitigate the competition.

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

You will be able to export 360º photo spheres from Matterport scans coming in the next 30 days, Matterport announced during its Pro2 Webinar today (6 June 2017).

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
101636 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?