Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
APIDeveloper ProgramMatterXportSDK

Announcing: MatterXport2224

Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
In the spirit of sharing information I have decided to open up a tool that I've written for exploring and exporting data from Matterport Tours:

http://www.metroplex360.com/matterxport/

I would love community feedback on exploring the data gathered here. The tool will automatically process ANY Matterport Tour, provide download links to panorama cube faces and horizontal cross panoramas in JPG format. It shows additional information about each 'sweep' beside the downloads.

Other things of interest include useful files for people who create line drawings from Matterport Tours. These includes a simple vector floorplan that can be used as a great start to drawing a plan. A PNG line drawing is also available as well a CSV file containing Room Data. Undoubtedly this is the information that Matterport's Schematic Floorplans team uses to make their floorplans. There's also a floorplan with a scale built in! Talk about awesome sauce!

Oh, and I'm pretty certain that 'cloud.zip' is a FULL data copy of the information that was scanned from the Matterport Camera.

Lastly, for those concerned about their data -- unfortunately, this tool will allow anyone in the world to download from your Matterport Tours. This was already possible if a motivated individual wanted to do this. The full CAD renderings etc can be downloaded from here. I think that Matterport needs to do something about this as the OBJ data is NOT necessary on the front end.

Needs:
- Explanation of the unlabelled numbers columns. I thought perhaps one of these is data on the camera not being level.
- Is the GPS information from the tour saved here?

Potential Uses:

- Creation of a Floorplan with all 'Sweeps' automatically placed using the data provided.
- With GPS provided, or manually entered GPS, can we use the information here to automatically plot the additional sweeps with GPS? If so, would we theoretically create Google Streetview Export capability?
- Can we put the contents of cloud.zip back on our iPads to reimport tours?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
Wow! This is amazing! I feel like I should download the data from all my tours before they shut you down!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
And that floorplan file with the scale attached. So much better than trying to measure some object in the space with the measurement tool for scaling purposes!
Post 3 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
This is just a guess, but looking at the data, the second set of numbers probably gives the orientation of the photosphere within the model. Roll, pitch and yaw as @Metroplex360 said. Also, please correct me if i am wrong, but isn't the .obj data used when transitioning from point to point and in the dollhouse view?
Post 4 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Great Job, good info, and I hope this does not get shut down.
Post 5 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
wow!!!

i am not so tech on web coding stuff but my first impression is darn it, we CAN actually edit the photos cubes to remove the camera or improve bad stitching etc.

just that matterport isnt allowing us to do so.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@craigsauer - Seriously, I encourage you to download all of your stuff. I am hoping it won't be shut down; but I'm hoping that the ability to download the full cloud.zip file and OBJ files from this will.

I have already shared this with Matterport. In my humble opinion, if I didn't make this, someone else would have and perhaps charged a fee for a service based off of this. I'd rather just throw it out there.

@aerialpixels - I COMPLETELY AGREE. I feel that we have EVERY right to download our panoramic photography from our tours. In fact, after seeing how this is possible, I see absolutely no reason why we are not given FULL access to these files and the ability to upload and replace them with edits. I've already started to work on exporting out my panos and rebuild them with Pano2VR using their Google Cardboard template

Guys. Another VERY good use of this is to be able to review the panos to make sure that you didn't catch yourself or someone else in a mirror. It's an easy way to pinpoint where you may need to disable a tour.

I'm looking to build in two more features - a page that simply shows all of the panos for proofing and then a page that shows the floorplans with all of the hotspots available to preview. for proofing quickly.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
I've made some updates. The tour now displays, and the mystery values by the panoramas are labelled as camera quaternion values. I've provided links to Matterport Patents that describe their use. They seem to be complex numbers that define relations between each 'sweep' in the tour ... very complex stuff.
Post 8 IP   flag post
PedroPretell private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome work!

Quick question.

Is it possible to add the Metadata required to be able to upload the panos to facebook as a 360 image?

Superb tool!. Thank you!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@PedroPretell Download the panos and reassemble using your favorite tool.
Post 10 IP   flag post
3DscannerSpain private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome!

This means that we could make virtual tour for google business view?

The pano pictures is bad againts DSLR but i think is enough quality so i guess we will start to sell this service.
Post 11 IP   flag post
yoon2366 private msg quote post Address this user
Just out of curiosity. Doesn't this tool violate Matterport Terms and Policy? As far as I know of, extracting any data from matterport player is against Matterport terms and policy.
Post 12 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
Any suggestions on pano tools?

BTW amazing work Metroplex360 very user friendly for someone who has no idea of it all haha

The measurements that come up in the plan are they square footage of that space?

* Edit - And where is the cloud.zip file?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@smcclell Pano2VR is EXCELLENT. On the MatterXport page I provide simple instructions for using Photoshop to get the image to load directly in Pano2VR by cropping and shifting in Photoshop.

The cloud.zip file should be listed in the list of files at the end. I haven't compared enough tours to see if it's universally available for all tours - but those that I've tested have it.

@yoon2366 I've sent this to Matterport, so if they come back with a takedown notice ... it goes down and becomes a private tool.

--

Here's a quick test that I did with Pano2VR using their Google Cardboard template:
http://www.metroplex360.com/mpcardboard/

I want to throw a side shout out to @GarySnyder with his MP2VR project. I started MatterXport as his project begged the question of "Where is he getting the data export from?" After creating MatterXport, I can still say with full confidence that Gary's services for providing an app and also taking all of the components required and stitching them together is well worth his fee. Time is money and his services are worth it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360

You have provided the Holy Grail that would enable a Professional Photographer to offer enhanced Matterport services including:

1. Retouching
2. White balance / Color Saturation / f stop adjustments
3. a path for seamlessly integrating Google Street View
4. and likely dozens of other opportunities

Hopefully, Matterport embraces the Pro community by allowing tools like yours to provide enhances services. I could imagine with some stipulations, everyone could be happy.

Plus, we have been promised Matterport APIs/SDKs for more than a year. Plus, the MUG Forum community API Wish List was sent to Matterport over a year ago. Seems like your solution is a fantastic start.

Best,

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
Noel private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 Wow this is fantastic, thank you for the great work in developing this.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Marcel private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 dude you should put a donate button on the page. Not to make money but there is a fair amount of work involved and people would like to say thank you.
Post 17 IP   flag post
You should make money on this, I would pay for it.

Ron
Post 18 IP   flag post
TrustedPhotoDC private msg quote post Address this user
Before getting all giddy about Street View, the max size that you can pull from a Matterport Camera and convert to a photosphere is 3216 x 1608. This is only 5.17MP. The Theta S is 14 MP. Most pros will agree that 14MP is too low for a quality image.

Size = 3216 x 1608 = 5171328 pixels
Megapixels = 5.17 Megapixels
Aspect ratio = 2.00 (equirectangular projection)
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
[FYI, I moved the following discussion to this thread from another thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
GarySnyder ... so um. How are you doing this exactly? The website shows a great video of what to expect, however, Matterport is a closed platform. Are you managing to extract the individual panoramas from the tour? I've done various inspections to see how one would export scenes to repurpose and I cannot see any intelligent way to export these in bulk.

I could imagine if sharing the methodology used, it wouldn't compromise what you are doing because it still would require extensive programming capabilities to pull off an automated conversion service that preserves the orientation and linking ability and then development of the viewing app.

VERY curious.
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Marcel / GarySnyder - I just can't figure out how one would manually extract the GPS information from each hotspot in order to restitch the entire tour together... my best attempt to do this has left me with having to manually create hotspots ... I've sniffed and exported and stood on my head and I cannot figure out how Matterport is sending GPS information or hotspot placement... I'm wanting to create a street view extractor.
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Marcel - Matterport just announced Matterport for Google Cardboard. In the meantime, as I didn't see it available, I'm working on a web-based cardboard implementation. Since posting last night, I have written a script that gets the contents, however, in doing so and studying and analyzing all data provided from Matterport, I'm pretty certain that GPS is not stored ANYWHERE in the Matterport Tours.

As a side note, I figured out how to download what I believe is the original model data and am also looking at how to reimport to the Matterport app on a jailbroken iPad... all this stuff is really fun and only necessary b/c Matterport hasn't provided these tools.
Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel
Metroplex360 yep just installed the Alpha from MP and tested. I guess it's all down to conversion price and white labelling features.

Sound like you having fun messing around with the backend tech. You may want to PM Gary for some tips.
Post 23 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
For the sake of openness and the fact that my desire is to make money from shooting Matterport Tours, not software, here's where I'm at.

http://www.metroplex360.com/matterxport/

Perhaps some forum members want to go digging to see if they can find GPS information or anything else that is not noted.

Have fun!

P.S. - http://www.metroplex360.com/mpcardboard/ -- That's my attempt at Cardboard. I only have two scenes in the tour right now simply b/c I've been working on the other tool.
Post 24 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustedPhotoDC
metroplex360 why are you insistent that GPS is being used? MP cameras are made to be used inside.(yes, they have been used outside. GPS really doesn't work that well inside.

If you want a photosphere from MP, take a single scan and use the obj image file to stitch with a cubic projection.

The results are not very pleasing, about 2 mega pixels.
Post 25 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
TrustedPhotoDC A few things.

#1) Matterport is looking to add GPS to tours based on address information added manually in Workshop.

#2) I've put in a suggestion that people seem to like to use Google Earth data as the background instead of a black background for the Dollhouse as an idea. Showing where a home is on a map in the tour is a pretty good idea.

#3) GPS data on each tour would allow a Matterport tour to be convertable to Google StreetView.

#4) If I want a photosphere, I can visit the MatterXport page and download a full high-resolution photographic panorama that is already stitched in horizontal cross format. They are far larger than 2MP as each cubeface is 1024x1024 pixels. 1024 x 6 = 6 Megapixels, right?

--

As a sidenote, I wanted to give @GarySnyder an endorsement. When I read this thread, it begged the question 'Where is he getting the image data from to build these?' I made MatterXport to answer that question for myself and was hesitant to make it publically available.

I realized that even with a tool like this, MP2VR's pricing is ridiculously awesome as the amount of time necessary to stitch together a tour from the RAW data, coupled with the apps and availability on both Gear VR and Cardboard = An amazing product. So MP2VR gets my two thumbs up on price and product.
Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustedPhotoDC
metroplex360

My numbers were off, I had stitched exported jpegs a few months ago and tossed the project folder as the quality was so low.

Size = 3216 x 1608 = 5171328 pixels
Megapixels = 5.17 Megapixels
Aspect ratio = 2.00

#1) Just copy and paste lat/long. It's just more metadata.

#2) Have you looked at Google Maps API? FYI The Google Earth API has been deprecated as of December 12th, 2014. The API will shut down by end of 2016, and will continue to work on supported browsers until that date.

#3) Street View has never used GPS for adding imagery. GPS locations are established after a CID is added to the map, and the CID is tied to lat/long. Street View appears by the closest photosphere to the lat/long. Spacial uploading is brand new and I'm net even sure it is working correctly in the app. It is not on desktop.

#4) 1024 x 1024 is 1.05MP so 6MP is a still a long way from 14MP.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@DanSmigrod - "You have provided the Holy Grail...". Wow! Dan, that is so kind of you! I'm so thrilled that you are so excited about this! I too am excited about the APIs/SDK. You know, there is a link to the REST API endpoints that you can reach from inside Matterxport! I used it to make my Wordpress Plugin after stumbling upon it while reviewing the source. Perhaps the API already exists, they just haven't announced it or provided us documentation! Please note, it's not the API/SDK that is providing the direct links to download the assets. You can see all that it provide.

@Noel Thanks

@Marcel and @ron0987 Thank you . I'm humbled that you think I should add a donate button. It -really- isn't necessary, but I've added one if anyone feels that they would like to buy me a cup of coffee

@TrustedPhotoDC - Each cube size is 1024 pixels squared. Am I wrong in saying it's 6 megapixels per scene? But yes, 6MP is a LONG way from 14MP for sure. It's 6 more MP than we as a community had previously
Post 28 IP   flag post
Have a great cup on me. This shows several people that there is more to what Matterport can do or learn from users. Whether they choose to or don't, is the question but just maybe they will see that among the user are good ideas and good feedback that works.

Thank you
Ron
Post 29 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@ron0987 Thank you
Post 30 IP   flag post
101437 47 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?