Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 823 Unique Visitors
9,049 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,558 Page Views | 18,831 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceCamerasNewbies

Will my tripod work well? Just ordered a MP3533

Standard
Mooresville, NC
lknbigfish private msg quote post Address this user
I just ordered a Matterport Camera and wanted to get opinions on my tripod, a Vanguard Auctus Plus 283AT. I know it is not on the gear and accessories shopping list, what issues might I face using it with the MP? I will put some specs from a review below-clickable text

Vanguard Auctus Plus 283AT

List Price: $439.99
Amazon

If rock-solid stability is your priority, then look no further. This behemoth of a tripod offers a colossal 30.9 lbs maximum load capacity - perfect for sport and wildlife enthusiasts with big lenses - while its geared center column makes it just as useful for macro and studio work, where precision is key.

Don't be put off by the list price - the Auctus Plus 283AT is available online for over $100 less - improving its appeal in terms of value-for-money. You will need to purchase a head separately, of which there's a vast range of options to choose from - this of course ups the cost of the overall package, but it does mean that you can select the head that's the most compatible with the type of photography that you tend to favor, as well as allowing you the flexibility of simply using your existing head if you already own one.

This tripod is no go-anywhere travel companion: weighing in at 7.32 lbs you'll need plenty of muscle if you want to lug the Vanguard around all day, although it does fold down into a relatively neat package that could still potentially be clipped onto a large camera bag. Alternatively, you do get a carry case with a shoulder strap in the box. Looking at the features the 283AT boasts, it's clear that this is a tripod that's designed to withstand the rigors of daily life - both in the studio and out on more rugged terrain. The adjustable-angle aluminum legs are secured with easy-to-operate dust and moisture-resistant twist leg locks, with a useful scale on each leg so you can ensure they are the same height - a bubble level also helps to keep horizons straight. It's fitted with all-terrain feet as standard, which spread the weight of each leg over a larger surface area to reduce the risk of it sinking in soft ground or snow, however these can be removed to reveal metal spikes for added grip.

If your photography requires precision when it comes to composition and stability to ensure pin-sharp images whatever the conditions, then this could be the tripod for you.

This workhorse of a tripod features a geared center column, allowing for very precise adjustments to be made to your composition while shooting.
Specifications:

Weight: 7.32 lbs (3.3 kg)
Load capacity (legs): 30.9 lbs (14 kg)
Max height (with center column down) 53.5 in (135.9 cm)
Min height: 5.13 in (13.5 cm)
Closed length: 26.75 in (67.9)
Material: Aluminum alloy
Head included: No
Load capacity (head): N/A
Leg sections: 3
Leg lock type: Twist-locks
Post 1 IP   flag post
NestorSarmiento private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, I'm 80% sure it will do the job. I tried my matterport camera on a tripod with a ballhead and I almoust broke in the first five minutes, this is not your case. Try to avoid this:
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

@lknbigfish

This is the head that you want. (pictured above)

If you plan to use the tripod for other uses that need to support more than 8 lbs, then yes. That's fine.

We use - and recommend - this tripod because the 4 sections fold down to fit in airplane carry-on luggage.

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

@lknbigfish

Here's our Matterport Gear and Accessories Shopping List.

The video (above) walks you through our recommendations.

Happy shopping,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Standard
Mooresville, NC
@DanSmigrod

Thanks, just ordered the head!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Standard
Mooresville, NC
@DanSmigrod

I really appreciate the work you put in to the list and video, it has been really helpful. I am glad I found your forum prior to purchasing the camera.
Post 6 IP   flag post
101602 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?