Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MarketingStatistics

Matterport Sold 5,000 Cameras>is that a lot?3156

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport sold 5,000 cameras according to Matterport President Bill Brown in this Inman article today (10 November 2016).

Is 5,000 Matterport Cameras a lot or a little?

We Get Around bought a Matterport Camera in July 2014 when Matterport launched what we know today as Matterport Spaces 3D tours.

Since the We Get Around Forum gets 11,000 different monthly visitors, sounds like a lot of people are using the Forum to research buying a Matterport Camera.

Special thanks to @EricThomas alerting the Community to this Inman news article (which we believe is the first time that Matterport said publicly how many Cameras it has sold.

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
grmngrl private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod I think that is very little and wonder if that is a yearly number. Even per year that would not be a big number. However if we take 5000 cameras = $ 19500000 and add up the monthly hosting fee of min $50 / yr = $3000000 on subscription fee. That is still a long way away from the $30000000 funding they raised. https://matterport.com/blog/2015/06/25/matterport-announces-30m-series-c-funding/

I think MP does not come up with the numbers they need and the lashing out from MP we as users feel is because of they are under pressure.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Integratedman private msg quote post Address this user
when i first saw the 5000 number I thought that was for 2016...but 5,000 in total...makes me quite happy to be a owner of this powerful marketing tool...I know in my geographic area Southern Ontario Canada..i run into very few other camera's and I am quite happy to be on the leading edge...
Post 3 IP   flag post
Louisville, KY
JohnLoser private msg quote post Address this user
5000 is not a lot of cameras over a three year period, but then – it is.

The article stated they have sold 5000 cameras and that the sales have more than doubled this year. One can guess sales over the three years might look like this:
Year Avg Sell Price Gross Sales
2014 500 $ 4,350.00 $ 2,175,000.00
2015 1500 $ 4,000.00 $ 6,000,000.00
2016 3000 $ 4,000.00 $ 12,000,000.00
Total 5000 $ 20,175,000.00

They state they are hosting more than 85,000 models. Conservatively, at $0.50 per month per model, based on their published hosting plan fees, that’s $42,500 per month or $510,000 per year as of today. I am certain it’s even better than that because many – if not most - of us are paying Matterport $49.00 a month to host fewer than our allowance of models.

I am not certain that $20 million in camera sales covers the R&D costs and ongoing support (such as it is).
My math may be “fuzzy” and speculative, but I believe I am not too far off.

I would guess that Matterport needs to sell more cameras and generate more hosting and processing fees to be sustainable in the long term. I don’t think the answer is to sell cameras to every realty agency. Probably, better, is to get them in the hands of professional photographers, provide excellent – accurate – training and support and back them up with good marketing supported by analytics. And then share what we all know – that quality service demands appropriate pricing.
Post 4 IP   flag post
PedroAvilez private msg quote post Address this user
It would be nice to know how many MUG & We Get Around members own MP cameras. More, a breakdown by Realtors / Photographers would be very usefull to understand who REALLY are the main clients of Matterport.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Blue-Sketch
Founder
New Orleans, LA
PetraSoderling private msg quote post Address this user
@JohnLoser I was told in June 2015 (from a reliable source) they had sold 1500 cameras then. So I think your estimate is pretty accurate.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey, I was trying to help Matterport sell more cameras by advocating that the Matterport camera was perfect for Street View and doing all their marketing for them

5000 cameras really is nothing and I wish they hadn't shared that figure. It really doesn't make any sense how they are able to run an operation on the funds that they are getting unless they are sinking into deep debt.

I just wonder who will acquire Matterport... Microsoft?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Blue-Sketch
Founder
New Orleans, LA
PetraSoderling private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 My bets have been on Microsoft for a while now. They are clearly the current pioneer in all of this.
Post 8 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for posting this. I thought the number would be much higher. I bought camera #500ish in 2014 thinking I was extremely early and at the time the forum had very few members. I would have estimated it at closer to 25k or more.

MP obviously wants to get acquired but I doubt they do. Their plan is to show steady profits and growth but unfortunately for them Microsoft or Google or Apple can all create a competitive product on their own platform for much cheaper than buying out MP. The only thing keeping a tango tablet or Structure sensor type set up from doing what MP does is an app developer (@metroplex360) and a rotating tripod.
Post 9 IP   flag post
grmngrl private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 you can lead a horse to the water but you can't make it drink. Unfortunately!
Post 10 IP   flag post
101429 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?