Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 666 Unique Visitors
9,060 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,289 Page Views | 18,665 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Matterport Requests Additional Permission...3066

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

A Member of the Forum writes ...

How do you suggest I reply?

Dan

- - - - - - - - - - -

Hi Dan,

Please see email below from Matterport.

Not sure what most of it means but my gut feeling is to say no. And tell them the reason is these ugly t&c's.

My dad always said if you scratch my back I'll scratch yours, and that isn't happening here

What would you say to them? I wonder how many other MSP have been asked and how matterport would react if we all said no

Thanks,

[redacted]

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: [redacted]
Subject: Matterport Requests Additional Permission for your Space
To: [redacted]

Hi [redacted],

Our records indicate that you have previously given us permission to use your Matterport Space, [redacted] in our marketing programs. We appreciate you giving us the chance to feature your Space and show the world what amazing places have been captured in immersive 3D!

We are writing to ask you for an additional permission for this Space. We are putting together some high-profile academic partnerships with leading universities to allow researchers to study various topics related to how 3D Spaces are laid out and how 3D reconstruction can work more efficiently. As part of this, we're going to be providing a dataset of 3D Spaces where the image and depth data will be made publicly available to any academic groups for noncommercial purposes.

While any tangible benefits from this research may take some time to appear, they could include anything from faster 3D reconstruction to the ability to automatically identify objects in Spaces to a better understanding of how different types of spaces are arranged and furnished.

Some additional details:

✓ These Spaces would be published without any location-identifying metadata, but there’s no guarantee that the Spaces won’t be identified by someone in the future based on content inside of them. You would not be identified as the owner or photographer of the Space in the dataset (though we will continue to identify you in our Gallery if your Space is published there, of course!)
✓ These Spaces would be for research use only and would not be allowed to be incorporated into Showcase-style experiences online by 3rd parties. If they are published it would be part of an academic paper or demo.
✓ Once these Spaces are public, there will be no way to make them private again, so please make sure that the owners of the spaces will be absolutely comfortable with us sharing them.

Please reply to this email with YES or NO by Wednesday, November 2 [2016].

By replying "YES" you are granting Matterport the right to publicly provide image data from these models, including without limitation 3D data and panoramic data, to third-party academic researchers for research and development relating to deep learning, machine learning systems and other areas.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for helping us capture the world!

Best,

[Redacted]
Matterport, Inc.

[5] Matterport may publicly provide image data from these models, including without limitation 3D data and panoramic data, to third-party academic researchers for research and development relating to deep learning, machine learning systems and other areas. Matterport will provide this model data for research use only and will contractually prohibit the recipients from hosting the models for showcasing purposes or replicating the Matterport 3D Showcase experience. Matterport will have no ability to retrieve this model data, or remove it from this academic research, once the data has been provided to the researchers. Accordingly, I will have no right to revoke the right granted in this paragraph. This model data will be distributed without any written information that contains my name, company name, website, attribution information or other personal information I provide, or the address or location of the models. Notwithstanding the foregoing, personal information may be displayed in model imagery, and Matterport has no way to prevent this display. In addition, someone familiar with the location of the models may have the ability to identify their location from the model imagery, and Matterport has no way to prevent such identification.
Post 1 IP   flag post
jntooker private msg quote post Address this user
I agree, my answer would be no. This is stepping all over 3rd party innovation.
Post 2 IP   flag post
LewisBishop private msg quote post Address this user
@jntooker - I'm just a "dumb guy" and could be either missing the point or not fully comprehending the email... so forgive me in advance.

But how exactly is this "stepping all over 3rd party innovation"?

I do agree with the idea that Matterport should do a better job at embracing third party developers.

However, in this situation they simply want to provide researchers with access to data. With the benefit of potentially seeing...

+ faster 3D reconstruction
+ automatically identify objects in Spaces to a better understanding of how different types of spaces are arranged and furnished.

Once again I could be missing something... but at first blush I don't see anything concerning.
Post 3 IP   flag post
CelisNet private msg quote post Address this user
Until they take away the ugly and intruder footer the answer should be NO!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Viewing private msg quote post Address this user
As creators of the content that they want to use to make more sales... say yes and ask for a fee. Marketing isn't free you know 😃
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
My response:

"How does this benefit me?"

Or taking the entire format of this e-mail, turning it into a page on the Internet where people can fill out their tour URL and sent it right back to them as a request to use their information for 3rd party applications without limitations

Matterport could at least REWARD the MSP with a $50 account credit. This would encourage the chosen MSPs; add goodwill to their platform; and strengthen their position with their customers.
Post 6 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
A long time ago I learned that in the American culture there is this thing of asking: what is in it for me? which is another way of asking what @Metroplex360 suggests.

Always there has to be a quid pro quo, otherwise they are using your images and your work for free, which is not a reasonable business proposal.

Don´t worry about the research. The researchers have their funding so I guess that they will be able to pay for whathever the cost of getting the images will be.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@jntooker
@LewisBishop
@CelisNet
@Baxter
@Metroplex360
@jfantin

A lot of great thinking. I will refer the Forum Member to this discussion, plus ...

1. I recommend that the Pro give Matterport a "buy-out" such as $2 per square foot. Then Matterport could do "whatever" they want (as long as s/he has the permission of the location scanned). (Might even offer to split the $$$ with the space.)

2. While We Get Around gave Matterport permission to use some of our Spaces in their 3D Gallery – and within their VR app - we are disappointed to see that Matterport uses our Spaces to help them sell Cameras or locate a Pro (competing with us with our own content). As a result, We Get Around NEVER promotes that We Get Around is in the Matterport Gallery or the Matterport VR app.

3. A Pro can upload an unlimited number of Matterport Spaces to the We Get Around Gallery (and we link to the Pro: not Find (another) Pro. For example, Create by and Engage This Pro.

If it was me that received the email from Matterport, I would (feel like) saying no because of these ugly t&c's. That said, I would offer them the "buy out" such as $2 per sq ft instead. (Reminder: do not delete your models. They are valuable digital assets. This is just one example.)

Matterport is a big company. They should be paying Pros: especially for awesome content that helps them with their initiatives.

Dan

P.S. BTW, seems like yet another Matterport silo competing for tech resources within the company. And, yet another example of where 3rd party developers could have stepped in to provide this marketplace service.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@jfantin @Metroplex360 @DanSmigrod - it's sad that we feel we need to ask for payment. I've been brought up to believe that if you give something away out of kindness, the kindness is returned eventually, even if you haven't asked for or expected it. I believe I just described karma in all its glory. If MP had treated its core custom base well they may have got a lot more in return.

Just in a short space of time I've seen sentiment toward MP sour alarmingly quickly, which isn't healthy for any party involved.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

@Baxter

We Get Around office is located in a collaborative workspace of 1,080 of us from 350 companies.

My keycard says PAY IT FORWARD. I believe in that ...

Since July 2014, I have been PAYING IT FORWARD to Matterport by starting a community. A community about giving and getting help.

When Matterport kills third party solutions that are pivotal to the success of Matterport Service Providers. When they do dumb thinks like splash their logo and terms of service on the Spaces, it's time for me to say, I can no longer Pay It Forward to Matterport. I feel like Matterport takes the Community for granted.

While I continue to be Matterport's biggest fan - and I plan to write about why in a separate post this week - enough is enough. If Matterport wants content, they should not only pay for it, but pay top dollar for it to be supportive of the Community that creates this content.

#rantover

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
It appears that you've done a lot to actually help MP, but as a side effect of wanting to help the community at large, so your frustration when they don't listen is understandable.

There are only two reasons I can think of as to why they don't listen.

1. There's a serious competitor coming so they need to ship as many products asap, ignoring the frustration of the community because time is short.

2. They have patented this particular technology so well that they don't need to worry about competitors and know that they will always be our only option, ignoring the frustration of the community because time is long.

Either way or even if it's something completely different, please do keep doing what you're doing. It's all very much appreciated by each of us I'm sure.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
I received the same email and gave them a big fat NO. She politely responded thanking me for resonding so quickly LOL.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfantin
A long time ago I learned that in the American culture there is this thing of asking: what is in it for me? which is another way of asking what @Metroplex360 suggests.

This is how I know that I traded in my British-citizenship for being a proud American

I don't mind giving Matterport carte blanche as long as they respect us. That's what I want. The recent Terms bar makes me feel a bit disrespected. The cat and mouse games with blocking 3rd party projects also feels like unmerited attention given to blocking harmless people from good things...

So when Matterport asks something of us, I do feel that it's reasonable to ask "What's in it for me?"

I -like- Matterport. I haven't soured yet. I'm just wary of them right now and a bit worried about their trajectory as a service provider.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter
@jfantin @Metroplex360 @DanSmigrod - it's sad that we feel we need to ask for payment. I've been brought up to believe that if you give something away out of kindness, the kindness is returned eventually, even if you haven't asked for or expected it. I believe I just described karma in all its glory. If MP had treated its core custom base well they may have got a lot more in return.

Just in a short space of time I've seen sentiment toward MP sour alarmingly quickly, which isn't healthy for any party involved.

If they'll drop that ridiculous terms of service bar, then I'm good with Matterport again. And if they leave my creativity alone and stop blocking things that add value without distributing resources, then I'll be happy as a clam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Property3dNZ
I received the same email and gave them a big fat NO. She politely responded thanking me for resonding so quickly LOL.

LOL -- that's funny . It's about the terms of service bar, right?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 As I fellow Brit I also got to be a proud US Citizen the same way and couldn't agree more!
Post 15 IP   flag post
101815 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?