Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 40 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
MarketingMuseums

Challenges scanning This 60,000 sq ft Space2967

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
A Member of the We Get Around Referral Network that will be quoting on scanning this 60,000 sq ft space, asked me about challenges shooting this space.

While I have scanned large spaces ...

spa and fitness center
university student center (in multiple models)
theater

So, I will share my thoughts and I hope you post larger examples and the challenges of scanning larger spaces.

1. Matterport supports up to 10,000 sq ft. "Support" means if the model does not process, they may not come to your rescue. So, you might have to duplicate and copy the model into six separate models to process successfully (or get Matterport's help)

2. Matterport supports up to 200 scans in a model. "Support" means (see above).

3. Models over 200 scans may crash in webGL or run slow; particularly on a smartphone

---

If I was scanning this 60,000 sq ft space, first I would be excited that the end-use does not appear to be a Matterport Spaces 3D Tour - rather - the scanning is a tool to create an Object File that can be imported in to Autodesk Revit. (The client likely is doing a renovation and the original CAD files do not exist.) So, as long as the client knows that we will do our best to deliver it in one model, but it may be in a couple of models, we're probably okay.

I could imagine that a 60,000 sq ft model Object File (.obj) will crash in Revit. So, I would ask the client if they would like the file delivered in a different file format:

Matterport to CAD by Veriscian: Save 50 percent
Matterport Object File (.obj) to SketchUp File (.skp)

How would you approach this potential Matterport Space project?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
tomjones2787 private msg quote post Address this user
If the end product does not need to be a tour and the client is only interested in the scan to create a CAD file would breaking the scan up into 4 -15,000 sq ft segments matter?
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@tomjones2787

Yes and No.

If the "only" thing the client wants is Object File (.obj), then yes, shooting it as one model should work (though I would not promise the client that).

The model is so big that is may take a week to process or not process at all.

Then, the likely 12gig file would need to be duplicated 2-4 times; delete scans (not in the master) and resubmit as multiple jobs.

It's important to manage the client's expectations. If we were shooting it, we would say we would do our best to shoot it as one model, but we may need to deliver it as multiple models.

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
101421 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?