Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 39 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceBusiness PlanCamerasPricing

If Matterport Released a newer camera...2403

Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm starting to feel like a Matterport Camera v2 is on it's way ... based on increased investment, ramping up the platform, getting new investors, the $600 discount, etc.

This is a bit nerve racking though as ... like most people here ... I'm not sure how I feel about buying another camera. It was a HUGE investment in the first place...

If Matterport could offer it for $2000 to existing users with over a year of payments to the service plan, while keeping it available to new users at a $3900 price point ... then I think I'd make the jump.

How do you guys feel? The moment a better camera comes out, what do we do with our old cameras? No one in their right mind will want to continue to use them. Reselling them at a cheap price would flood the market and affect our bottom line.
Post 1 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
I think it is not fair.. I just got this one 2 months ago now buy a new one and what will it do different ? or better
Post 2 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
I paid a small fortune a few months back for my camera. To put it in perspective, I could have bought a small car for he price of the camera. My business have not even started making a monthly income and should a new camera be announced it will put me in a very bad spot. I'm still repaying the loan on my current camera. I hope there will be a software upgrade on the camera regarding outside scans.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@DouglasMeyers: I love my Matterport. I have always felt that the quality of the photographs was lower than traditional panorama tours that I created. An upgraded Matterport camera could easily improve on:

1) Scan Speed
2) 3D Scan Details
3) Photographic Quality

I agree, it would feel unfair for a new model to be released. Those of us who invested $4500 in a proprietary product would then be faced with a new investment that we would -have- to make to stay competitive.

Now, I certainly have made my money back, and Douglas, I believe that you will make your money back too. And I hope you will greatly profit from the camera you've bought! So please, don't let this post or any similar ones be disheartening.

My hope is to actually get some opinions that help me prepare for the inevitable. Technology always marches on...

Wouldn't it be cool, and a bit unheard of, it Matterport offered a paid upgrade wherein we sent our units in and they replaced / upgraded the parts? And yes, they could simply send us a refurbished/upgraded camera as soon as they received our units to streamline things like Apple do with their RMAs.

I would be willing to invest $2k when the upgrade comes without too much stress. Anything more and it's going to affect my morale a bit.
Post 4 IP   flag post
JohnBecker private msg quote post Address this user
All camera companies try to keep a tight lid on new releases, so people won't stop buying the current model. And if you buy the XQ8 just before the XQ9 comes out, tough luck.

A new camera has to have demonstrably greater capabilities to make people want to upgrade. If there really is a new version of the camera ready to release, it's possible that some of the new capabilities recently announced will only be possible if you're using the new camera.

I wouldn't be too hopeful about existing users getting a discount.
Post 5 IP   flag post
billherman private msg quote post Address this user
I for one would be extremely upset as I've only done one shoot since i bought it two weeks ago. I asked that very question, is it being discounted because a new one is on the horizon. I was told, no, there are no plans for a new camera. SINCE THIS IS PROPRIETORY to only work within their hands, they should give anyone the option to buy back at 66% of the sale and give that as a credit for the newer model if anyone bought an older model within 3 months of a newly released camera. If it was not for the fact that its proprietary to Matterport, then I would say tough luck as that could happen with anything anyone ever bought.
Post 6 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
@metroplex

Chris I agree. I just sold all but one of ours on eBay in anticipation. Maybe I'm wrong but we all took a big risk paying 4500 knowing that MP may fold or loose traction against bigger players (not likely now but it was when we bought our first one) or come out with new versions.

I think we all want to minimize that risk but that risk has also helped us all to profit by limiting the number of people competing in the market. Yes it would be unfair to buy one immediately before a new version came out but we all know there is risk and I doubt Matterport would put our best interests over their own.

I would gladly put 2k toward a new model with better features. I think that would be a good way to keep the current client base happy but they already have us on the hook and really don't have to cater to what we want.
Post 7 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have a problem with paying for an upgrade, but when you have just spent nearly a small fortune and have not yet even recovered 1% of the purchase price then it's going to be a bit bad for morale.

In the US you earn and spend USD, I'm earning R's an spending USD after converting at about R14 for 1USD. And a bit of perspective: clients here complain if they have to pay more than R1000 for a scan of a 3bedroom + house. In USD it's not even USD70 for your service and travel cost.

I'm trying to build the market in South Africa, at this stage I know of about 3 cameras in the country. So it's considered quite new technology here. The cost of a VR conversion is absurd for us this side.
Post 8 IP   flag post
CDM private msg quote post Address this user
With 16 years in commercial photography $4500 is a drop in the bucket as far as equipment. "The advancement of Technology is unstoppable". Are you still using a CRT monitor because it still works? I bet not. You upgraded to LCD due to quality. Timing is everything, do your research. If the technology is just catching on in S. Africa you should be good with the current camera for awhile.

JC3DCX, sorry the exchange rate sucks! VR conversions are absurd and will be dropping soon!

I would think Matterport would offer some type of incentive for an upgrade in this case. They have built a huge user base.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@billherman

Since you bought your camera within the last 30 days, you should be able to get $600 back from Matterport.

For details, please read this Matterport User Group Forum post:

Did you buy a Matterport Camera in the last 30 days?

Please DO let us know what happens ...

Best,

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @billherman
... I was told, no, there are no plans for a new camera.

Matterport job openings include this one ...

Principal/Lead Hardware Engineer

"The Principal/Lead Hardware Engineer position will be responsible for architecting, designing and developing the electrical hardware of new and derivative camera products."

And this one ...

Senior Hardware Engineer

"This position will be responsible for designing and developing the electrical hardware of new and derivative camera products."

Hmmmmmmmmmmm .....

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@JC3DCX

Since you are a Member of the We Get Around Referral Network, you can get VR conversions for $74 via MP2VR.

Details:

MP2VR Now Delivers VR Conversions in 24 Hours

Best,

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@DanSmigrod wow! Those job postings certainly point to an effort to create the next model camera! Still... If integral staff members haven't yet been hired, I can't imagine that we would see a new model until next year! Perhaps at the next Inman conference they will debut the prototype and provide a release window for 2018. Long way off...
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

I haven't had time to study LinkedIn for EXISTING employment titles. I imagine that Matterport already has a team in place for next generation Cameras.

There's a ton that can be learned from both job openings and LinkedIn profiles.

Best,

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
101421 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?