Where 3D Capture and Real Estate Media Pros
Learn What’s Working and Find Their Next Job
What a shoot actually costs you
Giraffe360 Gaussian Splats
Last 24 Hours: 249 Unique Visitors
9,537 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 13,183 Page Views | 9,107 Unique Visitors | 12 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3d camera3d gaussian splattingclassic plandigital twinlidarmatterportmatterport plansmatterport pricingmatterport pro3price droppro2pro3pro4virtual tours

Matterport Pro3 Price Drop: Is a Pro4 Coming in 2027?21724

Owner,
Managing
Editor and
Publisher of
WGAN Forum and
WGAN-TV Podcast
Fairfield, California
TomSparks private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

Matterport dropped the price of the Matterport Pro3. The camera launched on 30 August 2022 at $5,999 and is now listed on matterport.com starting at $3,995. That happens to be the same price the Pro2 launched at in 2017.

A price cut on a four-year-old flagship gets me thinking about what comes next, so let's look at the timeline. Matterport launched the Pro2 in May 2017 and the Pro3 in August 2022. That is a five-year gap. If history repeats itself, we should be looking at a "Pro4" sometime in 2027.

History also says to watch the plans, not just the hardware. When the Pro3 arrived, it required a Professional plan or higher and could not be used with a Matterport Classic plan at all. Plenty of WGAN members ended up running two accounts: a Classic account for Pro2 work and a new account for Pro3 work. Then in May 2023, Matterport changed how spaces with more than 200 scan points count against your active space limit. If a new camera is coming, I would not be surprised to see a plan or price change come with it.

Update: Thanks to @foxwrth13 for pointing this out below. CoStar Group, which owns Matterport, addressed this on its Q2 2026 earnings call in July. CoStar said it has restarted hardware development, has produced the first prototypes of the next generation "Matterport 4" with higher measurement accuracy and higher resolution panoramas, and anticipates delivering it in late 2027. So the 2027 timing is no longer speculation. The plan and pricing question is still wide open.

My own wish list is short: faster sweeps, longer battery life, a lighter body, and less waiting on cloud processing. I would also like to see 3D Gaussian Splatting output as a native option. To top it off, if it could be a hybrid terrestrial lidar scanner but also be able to be a mobile (handheld) slam scanner that would be great!

Three questions for the WGAN Community:

1. Do you think Matterport releases a "Pro4" in 2027?

2. If it does, do you expect a plan or price change to go with it, the way the Pro3 launch shut out Classic plans?

3. What features would you like to see in the next generation Matterport camera?

Are you buying a Pro3 at $3,995, or holding out for what comes next? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Best,
Tom
Post 1 • IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Member
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
I do expect the Pro4. Whatever changes occur to accounts will only benefit Matterport / CoStar, as always.
Post 2 • IP   flag post
foxwrth13 private msg quote post Address this user
Costar did an earnings call in July. they had this to say...

"The Matterport 3 camera has proven a highly efficient, reliable capture device, and post-acquisition, we have restarted hardware development. We have now produced the first prototypes of the next generation Matterport 4, which offers higher measurement location accuracy and higher resolution panoramas, which is particularly valuable to architecture and construction uses. We anticipate delivering the Matterport 4 in late 2027."

The full text and article is here...

https://www.investing.com/news/transcripts/earnings-call-transcript-costar-group-tops-eps-in-q2-2026-shares-sink-after-hours-93CH-4818324


I hope they keep the classic plans but I'm prepared for the worst.


It will be interesting to see how this new launch changes the industry landscape. Depending on the price, this could shake up a few things
Post 3 • IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Member
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
@foxwrth13

I can't begin to imagine the chaos they would cause by eliminating the Classic plans. And, if they do, there wiill be a flurry of lawsuits, from me included.

The improvement in accuracy is very needed.

KF
Post 4 • IP   flag post
Integratedman private msg quote post Address this user
I am happy and proud to say i am still using my Matterport 1 with 0 customer questions or issues
Post 5 • IP   flag post
SvenExenberger private msg quote post Address this user
Very interesting!
To be honest, I didn't expect a new camera generation. The Pro3 is a pretty good device. I neither need higher resolution images nor a higher scan speed. The only thing I would need is a much better pointcloud. In my eyes the only way to improve it significantly would need a complete redesign.

The problem is the device design. Matterport decided to focus on visual quality (as less stitching issues as possible), so they placed the lens right on the axis. The trade-off is the lasers mirror being off the axis. Faro scanners use the same mirror for photos and the laser beam. But I guess you will never reach the visual quality of a Pro3 that way. So I am quite curious to see what Matterport comes up with. The same overall design would not make any sense to me. I am waiting for the day when the first device is presented that scans like a professional laser and creates 360 imagery like a Pro3 (or better).

But to be honest this would also have a downside for my current AEC business. Right now I often sell professional laserscans (Leica) AND a Matterport tour of the same building plus all 16K panos for archiving/long-term documentation. 3 products for one project. Let's see what the Pro4 is gonna look like and how this affects my business.

Touching the classic plans in any way and/or creating another subscription tier for the new camera would be a desaster.
Post 6 • IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Member
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Real Estate clients are avoiding Matterport tours since the Zillow Ban.

Less demand = less reason to buy the pro3 or 4 camera. Less reason to justify the more expensive plans they come with.
Post 7 • IP   flag post
Owner,
Managing
Editor and
Publisher of
WGAN Forum and
WGAN-TV Podcast
Fairfield, California
TomSparks private msg quote post Address this user
@VTLV yes, but there's still HUGE opportunities in non residential.
Post 8 • IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Member
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry I failed to share the 1-2 a month as built surveys at a couple hundred bucks still isn't justifying the cost of the new camera or plan.

There's a few people out there still poking around at the idea of Matterport and 360's in general. I wouldn't call it HUGE. Especially when they get discouraged over the time on site to scan and hosting costs. That's where the "opportunity" falls apart.
Post 9 • IP   flag post
Owner,
Managing
Editor and
Publisher of
WGAN Forum and
WGAN-TV Podcast
Fairfield, California
TomSparks private msg quote post Address this user
@VTLV I hear you. I think depending on the market you're in you'll have different experiences. I received 4 requests for as built scans (with a non leica price point) device (matterport, iguide, realsee, giraffe360) in the past week, in the San Francisco Bay Area. I think there's a segment of designers and some architects that are ok with the non leica level of quality and pricing. But I also know that others in other markets aren't having the same experience.
Post 10 • IP   flag post
108384 10 10
Log in or sign up to compose a reply.