Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceGearTripodTripod Height

Lowering tripod and its effects?186

WGAN
Basic
San Antonio, TX
EricThomas private msg quote post Address this user
Curious if anyone has tried to lower the tripod when shooting inside tight areas that also have mirrors. Like a small powder room/half bath...Since the camera uses 360 degree views will it throw the alignment off if you lower the tripod so that the camera is not showing up in the mirror? Has anyone tried this yet?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@EricThomas

Yes. I lower and raise the camera, when that point-of-view is appropriate (such as the bathtub view).

I write about this here.

In your mirror example, shoot with the camera low and then disable these scans in 3D Workshop (as long as you can 'walk' from one regular scan to the next.

The lower scans help create the model and give you the 'stepping stones' to get inside the bathroom, but are not needed for walking.

Clear as mud?

I look forward to you posting your 3D a Showcase here using this technique.

By the way, I pre-walked an upcoming late-March project and this technique will let me capture the bathroom without the camera in the mirror.

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
That's a good idea. I'm going to add it to my repetoire.

FYI, I did a whole building with a lowered tripod once. I was scanning my kids' preschool, and I thought it would be interesting for adults to see the school from "kid height." It came out well, though it seemed like I needed the scans to be closer together than I normally do for them to work.

I can't share the 3D Showcase because of all the personal stuff of the kids and families that is visible in the 3D Showcase, unfortunately.

Craig
Post 3 IP   flag post
dfellars private msg quote post Address this user
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=9hoRwMjcWSR

This is a VERY early model we ran while testing the camera. This was pre-release and the showcase view was not yet available so we captured at multiple heights to try and create a more photo-realistic mesh view.

Creating a better mesh view was not successful, but as you move through the kitchen you can see that we took sweeps at both a high and low position and it should give you an idea of the look and feel of different heights.

Dan Fellars
www.scandimensions.com
Post 4 IP   flag post
101429 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?