Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BatteriesPro3Pro3 ProblemsWiFi

Matterport Pro3 wifi problem in the middle of a project in africa18447

ovrlebanon private msg quote post Address this user
Please help.

I bought the pro3 2 weeks ago, used it for 2 projects, now i am in africa with the pro3 only for a huge project.

I was scanning all day with no issues.

when I turned it off to change the batter y and turned it on again, no more wifi signal.

The camera turns on normally, shows the phone with the wifi signal on the screen, but no wifi to connect to.

I tried turning it on and off multiple times, tried searching for the wifi from different devices, followed all the steps that i can follow and still cannot find wifi of the cam to connect to it.

Is there a way to fix this?

Especially that i am far away from my office and coming back africa to complete the project is not option.

Let alone the expenses i need to cover since the client won’t pay for an incomplete project.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Matterport
Camera
Repair Service
Gainesville, Florida
MatterFix private msg quote post Address this user
Make sure you have the Matterport app turned on in the privacy settings. Go to Setting>Privacy>LocalNetwork and make sure Matterport app is enabled. Sometimes during an IOS update it will get turned off.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thank you for the reply.

Matterport app is turned in the privacy settings and local network also.

The weird thing is that it was working perfectly all day. Only when i changed the battery to continue 3D scanning the museum, it stopped transmitting any wifi.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Suisun City, California
ScanYourSpace private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlebanon
Thank you for the reply.

Matterport app is turned in the privacy settings and local network also.

The weird thing is that it was working perfectly all day. Only when i changed the battery to continue 3D scanning the museum, it stopped transmitting any wifi.

Have you tried going back to the "start" location where you were able to connect to wifi and see if that fixes it?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I surely did, i even went outside the museum, and now i am at the hotel.

Still can’t find the wifi to connect, even though it is on.
Post 5 IP   flag post

Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Suisun City, California
Quote:

hmm might need to contact support on this one.

but have you tried "forgetting network" on ipad then turning off wifi on ipad and turning back on again?
Post 7 IP   flag post
I did this step “forgetting network” on 3 devices, i even tried to search for the wifi on an employee phone, no trace.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Suisun City, California
Quote:
I did this step “forgetting network” on 3 devices, i even tried to search for the wifi on an employee phone, no trace.

wow!... how about turning off pro3 and leaving battery out for more than 1 min, maybe 3 minutes. put it back in and try again.

another option... can you drive away from the site for a few min and test it a couple blocks away?

I ran into an issue once where the client had too many wifi devices on the network and it was causing interference with the camera.. I went up the street a few blocks away and it connected. if this works for you you may have to tell the client to turn off their wifi for a bit.
Post 9 IP   flag post
It is a terrible situation, especially since I flew from Lebanon to Africa for this project.

It will be very bad to leave without having the project done and submitted, and pay from my own pocket all the expenses, let alone the bad reputation.

I tried in all the below locations and still no wifi:
1- First location where I connected the camera early in the morning.
2- Outside the museum
3- in the parking
4- Back at the hotel
5- On the hotel balcony

No luck and no wifi signal I can connect to.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Suisun City, California
Quote:
It is a terrible situation, especially since I flew from Lebanon to Africa for this project.

It will be very bad to leave without having the project done and submitted, and pay from my own pocket all the expenses, let alone the bad reputation.

I tried in all the below locations and still no wifi:
1- First location where I connected the camera early in the morning.
2- Outside the museum
3- in the parking
4- Back at the hotel
5- On the hotel balcony

No luck and no wifi signal I can connect to.

I would call matterport asap

North America 7am - 5pm (PT)
(408) 805-3347

EMEA 8am - 6pm (BST)
UK: +44 157 040 0054
France: +33 180 207 814
Germany: +49 695 060 7997
Spain: +34 518 888 665
Italy: +39 014 423 0022

APAC 8am - 5 pm (SGT)
Singapore: +65 3138 4858
Japan: 050 3138 8831
Post 11 IP   flag post
I have been in contact with them since 5 hours ago and they are investigating. It seems that I will not be able to do anything personally.

Let's hope it magically works again and not face the reputation and financial consequences of coming back home without having the project completed.

If anyone had a similar issue with pro3 or pro2, I hope they can share how they got it fixed.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@ovrlebanon

Ugh! I can't even imagine!

Can you record a video doing the following and post for @MatterFix -- and the the rest of the Community -- to review?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @MatterFix
Make sure you have the Matterport app turned on in the privacy settings. Go to Setting>Privacy>LocalNetwork and make sure Matterport app is enabled. Sometimes during an IOS update it will get turned off.

And ...

You may want to review all of these discussions in case there is a solution that applies to you:

Here are all WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Pro3 Problems

Please keep us posted regarding what Matterport Support shares with you.

Thinking good thoughts for you.

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
LuisMesquita private msg quote post Address this user
I had the same problem last month, in a hotel with a lot of different Wi-Fi networks.
It was working fine, and after turning off the PRO3 once, when turning it on again, I couldn't connect the Ipad with the PRO3 anymore.

I lost an afternoon with this, but in the next day, after several different attempts, I did the following:

- Turned on the PRO3.
- Turned on the cellphone mobile data.
- Turned on the hotspot on the cell phone.
- Connected the IPAD to the cell phone WIFI/hotspot.
- Turned off the Hotspot on the cell phone...and 2 seconds after that the IPAD automatically connected to the PRO3.

I know that it doesn't make sense, but it worked...
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
Have you tried recharging the battery that worked LAST, and use that one again to see if perhaps it's related to the battery? Or maybe bad wifi SIM card? (I'm thinking out loud and feel for you!). I'm saving for the Pro3 myself, so these early reports are valuable.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thank you everyone for your kind support, feedback, and propositions.

@LuisMesquita

I tried the steps you mentioned and it did not work

@GETMYVR
I tried with the old and new battery, I recharged both of them 100% and tried, but still no wifi appears that I can connect to.

I literally tried everything on the internet I could find for pro2 and pro3 and still no luck.
Post 16 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
Have you tried going into the actual MP app on you capture device. If you are using an iPad open settings and scroll down to you find the MP app open it up and unclick Camera and it should connect. Please let me know if this solves your problem and good luck.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Sdoughtie private msg quote post Address this user
I am so sorry. That sounds like a horrible situation. Do you think anyone in the country ship lease you a BLK360
Post 18 IP   flag post
@GarySnyder thank you for your input.

It is not about not being able to connect to the camera, it is the wifi that does not show on any device.

It is either my new pro3 stopped transmitting the wifi signal while I am on an overseas project (which is something I really wish happens to no one) or the pro3 changed the properties of the wifi signal such that no device can see it anymore.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Sdoughtie

I really wish but I am in a country that surely hasn't seen any cameras with liDar before.

I wish I could find a pro3 or blk360 to rent.
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ovrlebanon

Can you record a video showing what's happening (and not happening)?

That might be helpful for the WGAN Community to spot something to help make suggestions.

Thanks,

Dan
Post 21 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod no need to record a video.

I simply cannot find the wifi of the matterport pro3 camera among the wifi’s to connect to it, on any device.
Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ovrlebanon

Yes. Can you record the Matterport Pro3 Camera "on" and your iPad showing wifi (without the Pro3) and then the steps that you have tried to get the wi-fi to show up.

It's worth a try.

Also, is it possible that you are in a building that is located close to many wires.

Dan
Post 23 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ovrlebanon

Do you have the current firmware? (Which version?)

See this Matterport Pro3 Camera discussion with @DouglasMeyers about a problem related to being close to many wires:

WGAN Transcript: How I Shot 2 Cruise Ships with a Matterport Pro3 in 9 Days

---

[00:30:40]
Douglas Meyers: Well, there was a trial and error period. As soon as I got out there, especially when I was on the decks and especially in the daytime part, the Matterport Pro3 Camera did connect very well. I had very few missed connections. If so, I was either just a little too far out or around a corner, something that it just didn't see in the last one, but I think the Matterport Pro3 Camera – it worked very well for me other than when it stopped scanning.

[00:31:11]
Dan Smigrod: Was it related to mirrors or windows or glass?

[00:31:16]
Douglas Meyers: When did they stop scanning?

[00:31:17]
Dan Smigrod: Yeah.

[00:31:18]
Douglas Meyers: No.

[00:31:19]
Dan Smigrod: Could it have overheated because you were going for a long period of time?

[00:31:24]
Douglas Meyers: No, because it wasn't a big deal at the beginning, but I would say one of two things. Either it was a software error, which Matterport has now done two firmware updates since then and they keep calling me and saying, "is it working?" "I haven't used it yet, but I will."

The other thing is it's possible that some of the areas on the ship, like I said, could be a "black hole" ... It could have been an area that right underneath me was all kinds of Wi-Fi or electronics or radar and things like that. Those could have thrown off the signal inside the Matterport Pro3 Camera.

[00:32:03]
Dan Smigrod: Yes, we've actually had some reports in the We Get Around Network Forum (www.WGANForum.com), going back, I want to say, seven or eight years where a Matterport Service Provider ran into the issue where there was so much electronics in the space. That was everyone's conclusion about why there were some challenges.

[00:32:23]
Douglas Meyers: I did [Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort and Spa] a while back and everything went great until I went downstairs to the bottom level and it took me twice as long to do the bottom level because of that issue. I think that's what it could have been.

[00:32:40]
Dan Smigrod: Did you solve it just by scanning closer together?

[00:32:44]
Douglas Meyers: Well, once I found the "black hole" it was then moving the camera 5-6 feet out of that black hole, finding my connection point, and then just moving on.

---

Dan
Post 24 IP   flag post
Sdoughtie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@GarySnyder thank you for your input.

It is not about not being able to connect to the camera, it is the wifi that does not show on any device.

It is either my new pro3 stopped transmitting the wifi signal while I am on an overseas project (which is something I really wish happens to no one) or the pro3 changed the properties of the wifi signal such that no device can see it anymore.

Before I headed home and took a wash on the expenses. I would find a way to use a theta or iphone to scan so that you could get the info into Matterport. If you have to give them plans then I would survey by hand. At least you can give them a product even if it is at a rebate.
Post 25 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
The only other thing I can think of is somehow using a different iPad, downloading the capture app, and try again with a new device.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Sdoughtie thank you for your proposition. I am scanning an outside area which is only possible using the pro3 or blk360. scanning with any other device isn't an option especially if the client is interested in the facade.

It is really devastating how the Matterport pro3 stopped transmitting wifi and there is no cable connection option to troubleshoot whenever connecting to it isn't possible.

@DanSmigrod I will try to upload a video asap and thank you for the referencing. Something else is happening with me, nevertheless, I tried putting the Matterport pro3 in many different locations with no luck. The pro3 wifi didn't show at any location and on no devices.

@GETMYVR thank you for the proposition. unfortunately, it is not a capture app problem, the problem is that I cannot find the wifi of the camera on any device in order to connect to it and then open the capture app and start operating from there.

One sure and sad thing is that traveling with Matterport pro3 for overseas projects now comes with possibly huge risks!!
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ovrlebanon

Which country in Africa are you?

I ask because I recall 7+ years ago, a WGAN Forum Member reported a Wi-Fi connectivity issue (because Matterport did not work Wi-Fi in that country).

For example, on this Matterport Support page, it says:

What frequency band and power does Pro3's WiFi transmit over?
Pro3 WiFi frequency band and power can depend on the country the camera is operating in. WiFI emissions adhere to the regulatory requirements in countries where Pro3 is sold.

Perhaps Matterport does not support the Wi-Fi standard in the African country where you are now?

Also ...

On this Matterport Support page lasted updated 15 September 2022 - for the Matterport Pro2 Camera - it says:

WiFi to transfer data from camera to iPad through the Capture app. WiFi 802.11 n/ac 5 GHz. The available modes may be restricted in your country.

Update your firmware for the latest functionality and fixes. Pro2 cameras with old firmware (version 1.1.585 or below) will not work in the following countries:

1. Armenia
2. Bahrain
3. Ecuador
4. Indonesia
5. Sri Lanka
6. Costa Rica
7. El Salvador

Please update your firmware or use a Pro 3D Camera. You can also contact us for more details.

Perhaps you are the first person to use a Matterport Pro3 Camera in this African country and have identified a Matterport Pro3 Camera Wi-Fi country compatibility issue that has not yet been identified to add to a list of known country issues with Wi-Fi compatibility.

---

As a next step, you might:

1. Google to see what the Wi-Fi standard is in your African country
2. Check this Matterport Pro3 Camera Support Page - last updated 19 January 2023 - to see if that Wi-Fi standard in your African country is supported.
3. I also found this Matterport Support page about Wi-Fi Standard: EN 301 893 V2.1.1. (2017-05)

WiFi 802.11 5GHz communication with mobile device running Matterport App

Your thoughts?

Dan
Post 28 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
I am really sorry to hear this. Must be so stressful and upsetting!

I asked chatgpt (known for making errors) how to do a factory reset for the pro3.
I think it gave the instructions for a Pro2, but i cannot confirm is this is legit.

Seems to me that it would be prudent to have some factory reset capability on the Pro3.
If inferring from below chatgpt message, maybe press and hold for 10 seconds? or more? or just try your luck on
other combinations of press-hold

I had some issues with turning on the camera before, and just fiddling with long/short presses finally turned it on.

Other idea I have is after removing battery, press and hold the power button?
In some devices, this causes any remnant charge in camera to be fully discharged.

====ChatGPT=====
To perform a factory reset on the Matterport Pro3 camera, follow these steps:

Press and hold the Power button for 10 seconds until the LED light turns off.
Release the Power button and wait for 5 seconds.
Press and hold the Power button and the Wi-Fi button simultaneously for 10 seconds until the LED light turns off.
Release both buttons and wait for the LED light to turn green.
Press and hold the Wi-Fi button for 10 seconds until the LED light turns off.
Release the Wi-Fi button and wait for the LED light to turn green.
Your Matterport Pro3 camera has now been reset to its factory settings. Please note that this will erase all of your camera's settings and data, so make sure to back up any important information before performing the reset.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod thank you for the references.

My project is in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kinshasa. I am not sure what the wifi standards are here, but one thing I am sure about is that, as a user, I should always be able to connect to the camera to troubleshoot, update, or fix.
If Matterports will wait for all cases to happen in order to have them all covered with firmware updates, I am afraid most MSPs will cover project expenses from their own pockets and come back home with unfinished projects, just like what is happening to me.

Sadly in my case, I am 14 flight hours away from home, and the trip expenses I will be personally covering are too high. Not to forget that I have to come back and pay again all expenses after the camera is fixed in order to finalize the project and get paid. I trust Matterport should cover these.

@aerialpixels thank you for the proposition. I tried what can be done but still, the Matterport pro3 transmits no wifi!
Post 30 IP   flag post
101646 50 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?