Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BatteriesMatterport Classic PricingPro3Question of the Day

Question of the Day: Why are you holding off buying Matterport Pro3 Camera?17984

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

WGAN Question of the Day (All)

Question of the Day: Why are you holding off buying a Matterport Pro3 Camera?

Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Monday, 19 December 2022:

Why are you holding off buying a Matterport Pro3 Camera?

This question was inspired by this WGAN Forum discussion:

Matterport Pro3 Camera Spare Battery Availability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rzphotoman
Thanks Dan,

It seems very strange that the only way to get the extra batteries needed to make this camera fully usable is to be forced into a bloated package filled with what most pro2 users already have other than the Matterpacks & E57 files. I really just need the camera and 2-3 batteries. My gut tells me I'm not the only Pro2 owner who isn't thinking the same thing. Why don't they just make them available?

I may be forced into buying the Matterport Pro3 Camera Acceleration Kit at some point. Not sure renting makes sense for me since I'm on the Classic pricing plan now. I assume I would have to buy one of Matterports new pricing plans to use it. That's another issue I think Matterport needs to address, imho.

Happy holidays,

Dan

---

Matterport Pro3 Camera | Matterport Pro3 Camera Acceleration Kit | WGAN-TV Training U (in Matterport)

WGAN-TV Podcast Play List: Pro3 | WGAN Forum Playlist: Pro3

WGAN Forum Discussion: WGAN Cheat Sheet: Cost Worksheet for Matterport Pro3 Camera

Join the WGAN List | Join WGAN Forum

Matterport Pro3 Camera | Matterport Pro3 Camera Acceleration Kit
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Osaka, Japan
Meidansha private msg quote post Address this user
Why am I holding off?

I have a Leica BLK 360. I have 2 Pro 2s. Used together I can get the same or similar results as Matterport's examples. I use my Leica about 3 or 4 times a year so if I have to buy a Pro 3 also it is unlikely I will get my investment back on either. The Leica has paid for itself (in a year and a half) but I haven't managed to get any more than it's purchase price off it.

Though I haven't found a client yet the Leica can be used to make as-builts in a format architects use with it's native software. I can't do that with the Matterport Pro3 without a lot of extra costs. Also if I did I would be dependent on Matterport's AI to make the Digital Twin and I have heard varied reports about its accuracy.

When I make such a large scale matteport digital twin that a Pro2 alone is not an option I use it in conjunction with my Leica. For areas where the Leica's camera underperforms I alternate between Leica and Pro2 on the same spot to get the best of both cameras. Special attention to the horizon of the Pro2 helps stitching a lot I have found.

This all sounds like a lot of work that could be solved by buying a Pro3 but the number of jobs that would require it are few so I am happy to stay put for the moment.

Also I hear mainly negative reports about product failures etc on this forum so I would like to wait until these issues are overcome.

Daniel
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Las Vegas
DaveFahrny private msg quote post Address this user
I would love to have the new Pro 3 camera. I can’t purchase it is because of not being able to use my classic plan for the captured models. I have been using Matterport since 2015. I have not been a fan of their business practices over the years. But Having to have a new plan for the Pro 3 is just another example of their skewed logic when dealing with service providers.
Thanks
Dave F
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
My first reason for not purchasing it was the issue of not being able to use my current Classic Pro plan with it.

Now the additional reason is the lack of spare batteries to purchase. I just need a Pro3 and 2 spare batteries. There is nothing in the Pro3 Camera Acceleration Kit that I need. No availability makes me believe there are still supply chain and quality control issues that need to be addressed.

Final concern...Matterport stock (MTTR) has been on a steady decline and is now heading into penny stock territory. Could be a great time to buy or a big warning sign of things to come. I'm not that smart, but I do have a gut that's telling me something.
Post 4 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
@rzphotoman

Great answer, exactly my 3 main reasons for hesitating with an investment into the Matterport Pro3.

I’ll maybe add a 4th reason.

Matterport Scan Services - as long as Matterport is actively competing with Photographers and destroying the market by delivering low quality solutions to the biggest players in the market, so long I’ll treat it as a sidekick and rent the Pro3 when needed.

I can deliver high quality solutions with Matterport, but I will also actively promote the many alternatives to Matterport 3D tours, that are available on the market (3DVista, iPhone LiDAR, NeRF apps, …). These solutions can provide workflows comparable to the efficiency of Matterport, but none of these solutions is actively competing with me. And I have full control over the images and data (if necessary) - in fact I have full access to the data, that I am capturing and I can give all the guarantees, what will happen with the data. It’s my data.

If you call a major player in commercial real estate, the answer is always the same: „we are directly talking to Matterport, we are not interested.“ I wish Matterport all the best, but I don’t see them succeed in scaling the product on a global scale. You cannot centralize sales and distribution, you need the support of the local community to succeed. But the community can only support you, if you let them succeed - competing with them is not the way to go.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101641 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?