Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 732 Unique Visitors
9,055 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,766 Page Views | 19,092 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BLK360LeicaLeica BLK360Questions

Using a BLK360 for the first time with Matterport Capture App: Help Please!17980

WGAN Standard
Lisbon, Portugal and London
Pedrotex69 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all, I need your help and advice.

This week I am renting a BLK for the first time, for an outside job.

As I never used a BLK360, I would like to ask you if it is just a question of connecting it via the IPad as we do with the Matterport2 or do I have to install any software in my IPad from BLK?

Also what setting of the BLK360 should I use, I remember there were 3 settings, if I am not mistaken, so for Exteriors, which one should I use and where do I change the settings?

Instead of 3 meters apart from each scan, I can do 5 to 6 meters, correct?

Any other information that you think I can benefit from, is most welcome.

Thank you so much, speak with you soon,
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
The most important tip: connection between a BLK360 and an iPad is very weak. If you are holding your iPad in your hands make sure you do not go away and try not to block the iPad with your body. The best will be to hung the iPad under the BLK360 and do it as close to it as possible. If connection becomes too weak you will loose a scan.

You do not need to install anything for using the BLK360 with Matterport. You will need to connect to it in wireless settings of the iPad and then you can open the capture app and start scanning.

There are three settings for density and a few for HDR. I have found that medium density and HDR2 works ok. It is about 3 minutes 30 seconds per scan.

You can make next scan 7 big steps and more away from your last one as long as it is the same space/room and both scans will see the same objects.

Make sure you have enough batteries. I have never measured how many scans you can do on each but it is not a big deal for me as I have 6
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Lisbon, Portugal and London
Pedrotex69 private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Wingman.

Just one more thing, the settings are on the BLK itself or on the Ipad that I select them?

All the best, and Happy Holidays
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Both Density and HDR settings are in the capture app above the capture button.

If you do HDR OFF it will be faster and you will still get an image for a mesh/point cloud texture but texture is not going to be as bright as with HDR settings set to 2/3/5/7.

One more tip, if you are going to walk around while it scans stay on a side where Leica logo is. And make sure you do not see spinning mirror at a top and no parts of your head or a hat is captured by it.

If you want to hide during scanning may be a good idea to run a timer on your phone for duration of your scan. This way you will know when it is safe to come back.
And of course watch your setup for anyone who may bump into it or some jerks trying to steal it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Pedrotex69

My understanding is that the Matterport platform is only compatible with the Leica BLK360 1st generation; not the recently introduced Leica BLK360 2nd generation scanner.

What is the use case and why are you not using a Matterport Pro3 Camera for your project?

If your client permits, please do share a Matterport + BLK360 scanner here.

Best,

Dan

@Wingman Thank you for your detailed notes on using the Matterport Capture app with the Leica BLK360 1st generation scanner.
Post 5 IP   flag post
101749 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?